NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 BMW X1 or NX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 11:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The current X3 has been around a while an is getting a little dated. I'd think a new gen would be coming soon. When shopping the segment recently I saw that it is Car & Driver and Consumer Reports top rated CUV in the segment. For CR this was pre-NX though, and for C&D it was post-NX.

In any case, this segment is hot right now and there are a lot of good choices for shoppers. The competition is good.
Old 06-08-15, 01:26 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hohohong
And NX is a little pricier than X1,... I would think.
Also want to add that I compared 2015 Audi Q3 and BMW X3 with the NX with similar options. As I recall, adding the back-up camera and blind-side monitor to the Audi and BMW packages, the NX cost the least of the three. (Back-up camera with the NX is standard.) Now, adding a few more safety options available on the NX, such as the Intuitive Park Assist and Pre-Collision, the NX still cost less than the Audi and BMW without those options!

For me, the NX won on safety, reliability, fun driving and looks. Maybe the Audi and BMW edges the NX a bit on looks, which is subjective. I like the NX looks and it is fun to drive with the bonus perk of safety and reliability!
Old 06-08-15, 01:45 PM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

An X3 will likely cost you more than a similarly-equipped NX, and there are many X1 models that cost more than the NX. The actual pricing range on the X1 and the X3 seems to be much wider than the NX 200t.

Does Lexus offer the panoramic sunroof in any markets for the NX? A nice feature of the X1 not available when I purchased the NX.
Old 06-08-15, 02:40 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Hi all. First post! I am currently shopping for new small SUV and these 2 are in consideration. From a price point perspective these 2 vehicle are comparable. Of course we don’t know for sure until the 2016 pricing comes out for the new X1 but based on 2015 pricing the X1 is cheaper. I was really impressed with the space of the NX when i test drove it this weekend. Was able to fit a carseat behind me in the driver side without any space issues. The X1 is using a new platform so spacing is supposed to be better so I have to wait until September to test drive it. Styling wise I like both however with the NX it would have to only be the Fsport. My spouse and I both agree that we don’t like the regular NX. That brings up a problem because the Fsport does not have ventilated front seats. I live in texas and this is just plain not right. They are perforated seats so why aren’t they offering it? The other thing I did not like about the NX was that the tailgate did not have handless opening. If im buying a luxury vehicle I would like it to have all the bells and whistles and it would be sad if a basic ford hand handless opening of the tailgate and I did not. For the X1 I have read they do have front ventilated seats but waiting to see if it does not have restrictions like the NX. Also I believe I read it has handless tailgate opening as well as able to park itself.
Do you guys have insiders that can explain the lack of ventilated front seat on the Fsport as well as handless tailgate?
Old 06-09-15, 03:31 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, what will it change to know why they don't have those features on the NX? They simply don't, and if those items are deal breakers you'd be well advised to look at other options.

In another thread, someone mentioned the F sport models as a whole don't have ventilated seats. As for the lift gate, the hands free just isn't an option at this time.
Old 06-10-15, 05:06 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
Honestly, what will it change to know why they don't have those features on the NX? They simply don't, and if those items are deal breakers you'd be well advised to look at other options.

In another thread, someone mentioned the F sport models as a whole don't have ventilated seats. As for the lift gate, the hands free just isn't an option at this time.
If an insider had an actual explanation as to why they did not have that option in Texas then they would more likely know if there is a possibility some upcoming production runs were going to include it. There is always tint to help with the coolness of the seats but for a luxury brand not to carry ventilated seats in Texas is beyond belief at this point.
Old 06-10-15, 05:09 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure why ventilated seats are such a heart breaker here.

When you park your car, your windows will be tinted (assuming you do that in hot climate), and put up a sunshade in the windshield. I have one that is direct size.

My seats are never hot and the air conditioner is cool relatively quickly.

So, is ventilated seats really a NEED option, or have we gotten to the point where you just want to say you HAVE it?

My wife's IS has them and we never use them as they aren't that great and overrated at best.
Old 06-10-15, 05:21 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my NX I didn't even know it had ventilated seats until the demo lesson from the tech guy. But I'm a tennis player and after playing in this heat those seats feel unbelievable on the drive home after a match.

I'm spoiled already and plan to have them on future cars. Obviously it's not a necessity but it certainly is a luxury feature and one I'm glad I lucked into.
Old 06-10-15, 05:34 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
I'm not sure why ventilated seats are such a heart breaker here.

When you park your car, your windows will be tinted (assuming you do that in hot climate), and put up a sunshade in the windshield. I have one that is direct size.

My seats are never hot and the air conditioner is cool relatively quickly.

So, is ventilated seats really a NEED option, or have we gotten to the point where you just want to say you HAVE it?

My wife's IS has them and we never use them as they aren't that great and overrated at best.
Its about this company being a luxury brand. You know there comes a point where as a company they have to say what exactly am i doing if the ford escape has more features than we do.
Old 06-10-15, 05:44 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

dont get me wrong all, I love this vehicle and its at the top of my list but i am simply looking at the luxury angle and for me luxury has always meant having more features than the normal vehicle. Not only more but new innovative features.
Old 06-10-15, 05:49 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by camarogran
Its about this company being a luxury brand. You know there comes a point where as a company they have to say what exactly am i doing if the ford escape has more features than we do.
This is one of the reasons I got the NX. I was looking at the RDX for a couple of years but was disappointed that the RDX had less features than all the other comparable luxury CUVs plus less features than the Accord. I was also evaluating the Escape and Cherokee in case the price point was too high with the RDX / NX. With the RDX they are 1st including the LED DRLs and new safety features in the 2016 model that just hit dealerships but the CRV has had them since around December. With the NX my biggest gripe is they held back a few features available in Europe plus some features / colors just seem to be very rare in the states (ie. Lane Departure system and the Meteoric Blue color)/
Old 06-10-15, 05:55 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I use my ventilated seats quite a bit and find they do a good job of making my cherished backside and lower back feel cooler.
Old 06-10-15, 07:12 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Styling wise I like both however with the NX it would have to only be the Fsport. My spouse and I both agree that we don’t like the regular NX. That brings up a problem because the Fsport does not have ventilated front seats. I live in texas and this is just plain not right. They are perforated seats so why aren’t they offering it?
You'll have to confirm this with your NX dealer or others here who have bought the F Sport, but I believe heated and ventilated front seats are available in the F Sport in the Premium package, so you can probably have it as well as a separate option. It may not be available on local dealer lots as the NX's were shipped out with certain packages, so you may have to order if you really want this feature.
Old 06-10-15, 07:53 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brendaman
You'll have to confirm this with your NX dealer or others here who have bought the F Sport, but I believe heated and ventilated front seats are available in the F Sport in the Premium package, so you can probably have it as well as a separate option. It may not be available on local dealer lots as the NX's were shipped out with certain packages, so you may have to order if you really want this feature.
As far as I know, the ventilated seats are still not available on F-Sport models in the U.S. The "build" feature on Lexus.com does appear to allow this, but it always has, and numerous people have [even recently] commented here that the feature is not available, even on "custom orders" from Japan. But do ask your dealer, of course, as one never knows if this might change.
Old 06-10-15, 07:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Right...and Lexus has provided you with quite a bit.

You have Toyota reliability....instead of Ford unreliability

You have Nuluxe seats...instead of the Ford leather that feels like dead hamsters

You have a quiet interior with soft leather sewn to every panel....instead of hard fit plastic

I can keep going...but your gripe isn't helping drive you point home.

You can add ventilated seats to a Ford...and in the end..its still a Ford. Its an economy brand car...with a ventilated seat that will eventually fail (probably much earlier than it should)

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW X1 or NX?