NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Appt with Lexus Made - 800 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 03:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welp, figured I would finally update this.

1. For the Steering Wheel, after observing multiple steering wheels on various NX, it is my conclusion that the steering wheel material on the NX is of lower quality than the IS. No other way to state it. The IS shows no crease lines or signs of overtightening the material, the NX is covered with them. I file this under "budget" Lexus.

2. My service manager "drove" my car 50 miles in 2 days and claimed he and his "tech" were not able to recreate any of the rattles I hear. Which is funny considering that the car rattled on its way to the dealership, and then home (and then rattled to death on my way to work today). They claimed to have listened to the doors and found nothing. They refuse to do anything until they can "recreate" it. I have several videos of the rattles, and they refuse to work with those or credit them until they can recreate it within the car themselves (because I would make this up....)

3. My passenger seat - The factory rep came to take a look and noted the creasing issue and sent it to Lexus. Now I'm stuck waiting because they just happened to find another NX on their lot in which you could already see a crease starting in the seat. So obviously, if 2 cars have screwed up seats, this is the way it is meant to be, right? I file this under a dealership who has no idea what to do with a new model. If there is no previous documentation, they have no idea how to innovatively figure out a solution.

4. The thump, they say that is the ABS engaging, as I believe it was stated on here before. However, I can tell several times where I feel a brake is dragging and then eventually will let go. This doesn't happen all the time, but does infrequently. They refuse to do anything further. So I will eventually have to let it warp a rotor and then say "ok guys, which one of these isn't like the others?"

Overall, I'm very disappointed with what has happened in 2 days with my car. Furthermore, upon getting home, I noticed paint on my door guard, which means the schmucks opened my door into someone elses car, and since the door guards aren't clear coated, you can't remove the mark entirely. And finally, I didn't notice until yesterday, but my cup holder plastic now has a scratch on it. Which means someone shoved a set of keys or something in there and now scratched my interior.

Heck, because I didn't trust them, I actually put painters tape on my metal door seals because my service "manager" scratched my passenger one last visit because some people refuse to lift their feet when entering a car..

I am beyond pissed off. Not only could they not solve my problem like their job description requires them to do, but they also damaged my car while they were at it. And to take that one further, My wife and I go out for 1 mile, I repeat ONE mile, and are able to recreate the sound and found it rather to be inside the passenger side seat belt pillar.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-22-15 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 04:39 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

This sucks....sorry you are having so much difficulty, and this is not what Lexus is suppose to be about. I have read before that your next dealership is also owned by the same, so how far would you need to go to get to another Lexus dealership ? Even if distance is involved, I would try another to see if they can help you. The closest one to me is 2 hours away, but they didn't work out either from day 1 when I was looking at the new NX, so I went to a dealership 3 hours away. It was like day and night, and when I had the Differential issue, they took great care of me. They offered to come get the car, give me one to drive, and then bring it back when finished, and I'm outside the mileage distance requirement that they normally do that.
Wishing you the best with all this....it is not fun, and should not be this way, especially a Lexus badge which is suppose to be about customer service and quality.
Old 06-22-15, 05:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I really does suck, but I appreciate your sympathy. Its certainly making me a 1 time Lexus buyer after this.

I would consider a trade for something else, but given that I want to cam the Camaro next year, and a GT-R is now on my radar, I'm just gonna stick it out lol

Does anyone have the Lexus Procedure for pulling the B pillar?
Old 06-22-15, 06:40 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To reiterate, That sucks. As Ronn also commented, I would at least reach out to a dealership not in the same ownership group. I have to assume it can only get better. And I have to hope that the majority of Lexus dealers would provide you with the care and attention you deserve.
Old 06-22-15, 06:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I really does suck, but I appreciate your sympathy. Its certainly making me a 1 time Lexus buyer after this.

I would consider a trade for something else, but given that I want to cam the Camaro next year, and a GT-R is now on my radar, I'm just gonna stick it out lol

Does anyone have the Lexus Procedure for pulling the B pillar?
It's too bad that dealer does not seem to be taking full accountability in resolving the issue. If there's a next time, have a service tech and manager in your car while you drive it around to point out the rattles. Or do as I do, avoid disappointments, and figure it out myself if I can.

I haven't had the need to rip any panels on the NX, but the RX yes similar B-pillar ticking/rattles that were driving me nuts.

This might help: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-squeaks.html

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-22-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:23 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

That sucks - I know you must be feeling beyond disappointed.

Do you have your video of the rattling? I'm curious to hear what you're experiencing.
Old 06-22-15, 01:26 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
That sucks - I know you must be feeling beyond disappointed.

Do you have your video of the rattling? I'm curious to hear what you're experiencing.
My front passenger door:

http://youtu.be/3S2zRfPpQLo

My B pillar is harder to capture on video:

http://youtu.be/PFLmye0KUgM
Old 06-22-15, 01:34 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I couldn't hear any rattling in either video (not to say they aren't there)
Old 06-22-15, 01:46 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by typocl
I couldn't hear any rattling in either video (not to say they aren't there)
The rubber band like sound is the rattle in the first video. The sound is louder the radio at 10.

Second is hard to capture the best I have.

Sooner or later I'm just gonna pull the panel myself.
Old 06-22-15, 02:13 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

My front passenger door:

http://youtu.be/3S2zRfPpQLo

My B pillar is harder to capture on video:

http://youtu.be/PFLmye0KUgM
I can actually hear both quite well listening with a pair of over-ear headphones. Damn that's annoying. Is it very noticeable in the car, or do you have to listen out for it?
Old 06-22-15, 02:25 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
I can actually hear both quite well listening with a pair of over-ear headphones. Damn that's annoying. Is it very noticeable in the car, or do you have to listen out for it?
Depends on road. On blacktop you have to turn the radio down. On a tar and chipped road, it's like an orchestra
Old 06-25-15, 03:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I believe I found the issue with the Camaro, after replacing the spark plug wires she is idling much better but still not perfect. So baby steps but I think it will get better from here. I also need to look into spark plug wire protectors as I fear the headers are getting MUCH too hot around the wires.

Took it to a show finally:

And grabbed one before putting it in the garage:

The place I bought my wheels from even wants to put me up for car of the month lol

As for the NX, I'll probably be opening door panels in the next couple weeks, but its very difficult when it simply WON"T STOP RAINING. I also need to put a new coat of sealant on it and put the Cquartz onto the black plastic panels to seal them as well. Any previous experience with that product that anyone would like to share?
Old 01-07-21, 10:27 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I just made an apt with my Lexus dealer today for next week to address several issues I'm having with the car.

1. Passenger Seat creasing - As mentioned in my previous review, in the first week of ownership, my passenger seat was creased after my wife sat in it for like 1 hr. No idea how this happened, and this has never happened to my wife's IS after 9 months of use. I understand seats will crease with time, my Camaro has 1 crease...but its 3 years old. So I'm wondering if a new seat cover is going to be required.

2. Rattles - This car is COVERED with rattles in the interior. I feel like I'm driving a Hyundai To find the rattles, my wife has sat in all of the seats while I drove around. My back passenger door rattles all the time and its around the speaker we believe. My front passenger side rattles but it only will do it when there is no passenger. I'm not sure why but it sounds like its in the door or at an interface between the door and dash. I have opened the glove box, connected the seat belt, and pushed down on the seat, and nothing stops the rattles. And now, a newly developed one is in my driver side B-pillar area. Needless to say, I'm furious and haven't gotten to experience the interior of a luxury car yet. It actually ruins the drive for me from time to time.

3. Steering Wheel Creasing - My steering wheel is beginning to crease everywhere. It looks like a steering wheel that has sat out in the sun for years. I have a sunshade up at all times when the car is parked, thus there is never any direct light on it, so I'm not sure what is causing this.

4. Front end issues - Ever since I got the car, when I shifted from R to D, and drove forward, I would feel a THUMP in the left front for a second and then it would be fine. I considered this part of a noisy drivetrain and went on. However, I just noticed last Friday I felt a vibration/grind in my steering wheel and pedal that felt like it was coming from the left front side. Its hard to reproduce but noticeable when it happens. I have also lost 2mpg of late (from 30 to 28) on the same drive I do daily. While it may be unrelated, its curious that the 2 are happening at the same time. I question if there is something bad in the drive train.

My wife's IS is 9 months old now, and none of these issues exist on her car. Its really disappointing how different the NX has been so far after 1 month (not even...) and 750 miles.

So they put me off until next week, but I'm hoping they can fix this. I honestly don't care if they have to tear the entire car down, just make everything work.
is this a Japanese built NX?
Old 01-08-21, 09:22 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

This thread is over 5 years old!

All NX vehicles have been built in Japan, although they are supposedly going to begin building them in the Ontario plant alongside the RX (this year if memory serves me correctly). To be fair, this was also the first model year of a brand new model. There could have easily been some growing pains. Not sure why the country of manufacture is relevant but there you have it.
Old 01-08-21, 04:39 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
This thread is over 5 years old!

All NX vehicles have been built in Japan, although they are supposedly going to begin building them in the Ontario plant alongside the RX (this year if memory serves me correctly). To be fair, this was also the first model year of a brand new model. There could have easily been some growing pains. Not sure why the country of manufacture is relevant but there you have it.
didnt realize the thread was so old.

relevant bc quality control does vary to a certain degree based on where it’s built.

Quick Reply: Appt with Lexus Made - 800 Miles