NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

After 2 months of ownership some observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 02:36 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default After 2 months of ownership some observations

I've owned my NX 200t now for 2 months and am generally pleased with the car but have several niggles and issues.

-Turbo lag. Turbo doesn't come into effect until around 2,000 rpm. The car feels a bit sluggish until the turbo kicks in. During highway driving the power is pretty amazing, particularly when passing, but around town it seems pretty slow. I also own a 2014 MINI Cooper with the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder with a dual scroll turbo and it has an amazing amount of torque at low rpm. it seems to me that Lexus could have designed the turbo software to produce a bit more grunt at low rpm.

-In Sport mode the throttle/transmission seems to be jerky at times trying to decide what throttle position or gear it should be in.

-The central console is a bit of a mess. The iPad like display is a styling disaster. The controls for the A/C are angled such that when the sun shines down the lights in the buttons are impossible to see. I think the whole center console could be moved down with a cowl over the display rather than sticking up like an after thought. Thankfully they put an A/C button on the dash rather than having to fish through a bunch of menus like on my RX 350.

- The controls for the memory seats are in an absurd location and could have been very easily moved up near the door latch.

-The mirrors are made of very cheap feeling plastic. I would have liked to have folding mirrors like on my previous 2013 RX 350.

-The touchpad! I hate it. I want the control **** brought back that I had on my RX 350. Much too sensitive and difficult to use.

-The odometer buttons look like they were lifted straight off a low level Corolla and feel cheap.

-Panel gap on the sides of the hood and hatch are exceptionally wide and I think Lexus could have done a better job with that.

-The headrests push my head a little too forward and I wish they were adjustable.

-Not convinced I like the automatic ebrake release.

- I would have liked to see a display that shows what gear you are currently in like my Lexus IS 250. This would be very helpful.

Overall the quality is very good and I am generally very pleased with the car. I'm hoping that Lexus comes up with a software update that would give a little more power/torque at lower rpm. Putting the transmission in Sport mode solves some of this problem.
Old 05-18-15, 04:34 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice list of nitpicks. I agree with all except the turbo lag and sport mode (just haven't really noticed the issue but I don't drive this car every day since it's my wife's daily driver).

Also haven't really had an issue with the headrest at all.

Otherwise, good list of suggestions/observations. No car is perfect and a I do really like the NX.

I definitely notice the gap between the hood and side panels. Odd because my salesperson was telling me that our RX had front end damage because he could see widened gaps on that car when we were turning it in. He was bragging about the tight gaps typical of lexus. Can't help but notice the gaps now because he mentioned it. Maybe also because this car is white and the black weatherstripping is more pronounced I notice it more.

Agree about the touchpad. It's ok but I do prefer the joystick in our previous RX as well.

Memory seat buttons could definitely be placed in a better spot.
Old 05-18-15, 05:12 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice write up.
Starting my 4th week with my new NX, and I love most everything. A few things I would like different: the memory seat buttons should be higher, I dislike the plastic outside mirrors and they should fold, and I agree that you cannot see the control lights for the AC and others with the sun on them. That is my biggest gripe.
I actually like the touch pad after getting use to it and using it more. My Highlander had a better looking **** for the radio and such...they had chrome looking trim around the black ****, and I miss the lighted cupholders.
It would also be nice if the nav screen could be angled or covered better as sun hits it too, and I would prefer a panoramic moonroof.
With all that said, I love this NX, and is one of the most fun and enjoyable cars I have had.

Last edited by RDLGX; 05-18-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 05:22 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about the location of the memory seats. But to be honest, once I programmed the key fob to remember the memory, I don't expect I will be using the memory buttons much.
Old 05-18-15, 05:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the

1. Cheap mirrors Discoveries thread

2. Turbo lag/powertrain hesitation from a standing start. Hwy is better because your boost is already near or above 0 psi to maintain your speed instead of in vacuum (-) from a standing start. Though in fairness it seems to have improved with more mileage now compared to Day 1.

3. Memory seat button placement is a good spot to induce carpal tunnel issues in your left hand, but I rarely use it.

I'll add:

4. Some buffeting wind noise, driver's side above 45 mph.

5. Sport-seat bolsters, though they are getting "softer".

For the touchpad, if you haven't tried removing the force feedback in the general settings, try it. Most of us including myself prefer the "laptop-smooth touchpad" control over the default zapping, as per this poll.

All-in-all, these are minor for me and overall the NX continues to not disappoint!
Old 05-18-15, 05:54 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1800 miles in and my biggest grips:

- I agree about the memory seat button location

- The odometer button is in a bad location. If you want to look at the odometer or trip while driving you have to reach around the steering wheel to get to it

- While the arm rest center console is nice I think it is a mistake not to have a charging port under the radio. I understand that Lexus wants you to user their apps but the app suite does not offer all the my phone does. So I keep my phone available via a CD slot holder.

- Similar to the prior nitpick I think in the back seat under the AC there should be USB charging ports available.

- this may be something I can fix in settings but I am not a fan of the infotainment system dimming at night. At dawn and dusk it is a bit annoying and I wish it could be fully lit up.

- would like to have a digital clock available on the infotainment system. It can be small and next to the bluetooth and cell phone reception icons so it does not interfere with my screen.

- in general I think the infotainment software can use an upgrade. Hopefully this will occur and not cost the Lexus owner to do like what happens when you upgrade your navigation maps.

- for the cup holders I think one of them should be slightly larger. I had an xl beverage in a paper style cup from a bowling alley that did not fit because it was too wide. In addition, a 32 oz Powerade or Powerade Zero bottle will not fit in the beverage holder. My prior vehicle, the 01-06 Santa Fe had a wider beverage holder.
Old 05-18-15, 06:50 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

>> I echo the complaint about the seat memory buttons (my leg hits #3 sometimes, which I use for my "valet parking" setting).

>> The odometer button is in a ridiculous location - should be higher up where it's easy to reach.

>> I too wish I had a **** instead of the touchpad.

>> Headrests should have a forward/back adjustment, in addition to the existing height adjustment.

>> USB charging ports should be added near the CD slot, in the back by the A/C vents and - for me - up by or on the rear-view mirror (for my windshield phone mount).

>> Infotainment dimming should be more configurable.

>> There is a pronounced lack of cubbies for things like spare change, etc.

>> The cupholders cannot contain a bottle of Fiji water or anything "large".

>> Outside mirrors should be [auto-selectable] power-folding.

The above said, I truly love my NX, and the above are indeed nitpicks.

Last edited by 15RC350F; 05-18-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 10:57 AM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

One more minor nitpick to add. With my X1, the rear camera stayed on for a few moments after you shifted out of Reverse. This helped when making small adjustments during parking maneuvers. I don't think the NX rear camera can be changed; it automatically turns off when you leave Reverse.
Old 05-18-15, 01:42 PM
leej865
Driver

The only think I had any trepidation about was the touch pad...now I am an old pro at it.

I think being just 5'6" tall and weighing 160lbs has made this vehicle easier to live with than some others here. The seats are great, I don't come anywhere near the seat memory buttons when driving...etc. I don't drink 32 oz drinks, and I don't carry change (I had to look that up...it's money, right? lol).

I researched this thing for months and then drove it multiple times and looked it over from top to bottom before buying it. I had other vehicles on my list too, so I was doing a lot of comparison shopping.

Surely, there are differences from other vehicles, so it's a matter of learning to live with change. I have worked in IT for 35 years...and this is a field of constant change, so I find I do better at adapting to change than many of my non-IT friends. I think this helps too.

I think it will be interesting to see if the list some of you have published gets larger or smaller over time though.
Old 05-18-15, 03:33 PM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all -

I'm confused about the comments relating to the headrests...
In the F Sport, these are adjustable up/down and forward/backward.....is that not the case with all models?

I definitely agree with the placement of the memory seat buttons...I bumped them a couple times when test-driving. (Have a while before my own arrives!)

I do also agree with the placement of the trip meter buttons; they're in the same place on my '13 ES350, so I'm used to it.

As far as the new RTI, I've only had an opportunity to play around with it for a few minutes, during a test drive, but I found it REALLY easy to use...no problems at all, so I'm hoping my NX will perform equally as well.

I keep forgetting to check out the mirrors...I'm a little concerned about the reports of them being cheap.

Glad to hear from everyone that, despite these gripes, overall quality holds true!

Best,
dCota
Old 05-18-15, 06:17 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
-Turbo lag. Turbo doesn't come into effect until around 2,000 rpm. The car feels a bit sluggish until the turbo kicks in. During highway driving the power is pretty amazing, particularly when passing, but around town it seems pretty slow. I also own a 2014 MINI Cooper with the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder with a dual scroll turbo and it has an amazing amount of torque at low rpm. it seems to me that Lexus could have designed the turbo software to produce a bit more grunt at low rpm.
I like this element actually. It provides a refined smoothness so that the driver almost forgets a turbo is underneath the hood. Lexus, after all, is still wanting a refined smooth ride. In around town driving, the 2.0L engine is velvety smooth. In highway cruising, the engine is already around 2,000 RPM so an instant boost for passing is available. This also helps with fuel economy.

- The controls for the memory seats are in an absurd location and could have been very easily moved up near the door latch.
Agreed. Nothing like contorting the left hand to select the user. Although, this is somewhat mitigated by tying in the user with the applicable memory key.

-The odometer buttons look like they were lifted straight off a low level Corolla and feel cheap.
I believe those buttons are exactly the same in the IS...
Old 05-18-15, 06:22 PM
jrovito
Driver School Candidate

where is the odometer reset button?.. i was just looking for it today.
Old 05-18-15, 06:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jrovito
where is the odometer reset button?.. i was just looking for it today.
Left side of the steering column beside the brightness adjustment buttons. Says "ODO TRIP".
Old 05-19-15, 05:29 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for posting, I was wondering if I was the only one those things were bothersome to.

Here's my take,

--I miss the power side mirrors, if only as an comfort factor knowing my car is locked when I walk away. The NX has no visual cue.

--The seat memory button location is a big time design failure. They are at the exact location for my left knee to bump into and I do almost every time.

--The touchpad is the single most hated item In the vehicle. I have tried all the settings but the curser still jumps all over the place-there is no control over it. I almost ran off the road trying to set a radio station. It's so bad I will not buy nav next time if it stays.

--Display, one poster here referred to it as a "Pop-Tart" and I cannot get it out of my head. I much preferred the cave design of the RX.

-- odometer buttons, yes they are in a lousy location. The steering wheel blocks them and I always have to bend over to find them.

--I need a spare change holder!. right now its in my cup holder. I haven't found a use for the mirror either.

--Nav, this is my first car with nav in it and probably my last. I've a used Garmin for years and it always served me well. This Lexus nav to me is a jumbled mess, hard to confgure and use. The apps aren't worth it either. My cell phone does fine.

Putting these nits aside I still love this NX. It rides, drives, performs and looks better than my old 3RX.

A new thread of all the things we like about the NX should be started.
Old 05-19-15, 07:20 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess all experiences are unique.

The memory seat buttons don't bother me, because we just use the corresponding key fobs. Never bumped into them accidentally.

Love the touch pad. It has quickly become second nature for me.

The mirror is a goofy feature. Mine still has the cellophane on it.

An odometer reset on the info system would be handy.

I haven't had any issues with not being able to see the A/C controls.

All in all, absolutely love this car.

Quick Reply: After 2 months of ownership some observations