NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Intuitive Park Assist or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 12:08 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intuitive Park Assist or Not?

Seems the NX sales in the DC area have slowed down. There seems to be a relatively healthy supply of 200ts (a couple of dealers have more than 30). But not so much for my preferred color and options: Luxury pkg, Nav, pre-collision, BSM and park assist. The last three seems to be difficult to find with park assist being the more elusive option.

The safety features are important to me, and since I'm moving from a small BMW to an SUV, I'll need them. I can get some good deals if I make do without the park assist. Can I afford to wait, because there would be additional future deliveries at these dealers?

Last edited by brendaman; 05-10-15 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 12:26 PM
drifter123
Rookie

For me, the NX is an expensive vehicle and I have more time than money so I ordered it custom built with park assist. This 3-4 month wait is a hassle but it doesn’t cost me any extra to wait for the NX I want.
Old 05-10-15, 12:33 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Park assist is great mainly for the front. For the back, since you have the backup camera, it's not that important. But once you have a good feeling for the different status indicators on the front, it's a great feature.

I just leave mine on all the time so I don't forget to turn it on. Only time it beeps outside of me parking is when I put it in the garage or I happen to get too close to the car in front of me, which is seldom. And it's never beeped for a car behind me when in traffic.
Old 05-10-15, 01:00 PM
leej865
Driver

I have it front and back in my NX and have had it in other vehicles...so I have gotten used to it to the point of preferring it.
Old 05-10-15, 01:04 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I don't think you need it. Take a few tries, learn the angle of your car, and you'll be golden. We've become far too dependent upon driver assist programs, in which we're losing the most important skill...being the driver.

First couple times you park, have someone get out and help you. Once you become familiar with the angles, you'll have no trouble at all.
Old 05-10-15, 01:45 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
We've become far too dependent upon driver assist programs, in which we're losing the most important skill...being the driver.
Good point!
Old 05-10-15, 01:59 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Personally, I don't think you need it. Take a few tries, learn the angle of your car, and you'll be golden. We've become far too dependent upon driver assist programs, in which we're losing the most important skill...being the driver.

First couple times you park, have someone get out and help you. Once you become familiar with the angles, you'll have no trouble at all.
I totally agree with you. Even though all the tech on new cars is great to assist, it often keeps drivers on the lazy side. I don't totally depend on any of it.
On a different note, is there a way to keep the seat position when turning off the engine. While it is a neat feature to move in helping getting out easier etc., if you are in and out alot, I think it would be wear on the power seat and steering....in my previous Toyota, I was able to adjust it so it would not move ? ( Memory seats ) You seemed to have a lot of knowledge here, so I though I would ask, or maybe someone else can chime in as well.
Old 05-10-15, 02:32 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I totally agree with you. Even though all the tech on new cars is great to assist, it often keeps drivers on the lazy side. I don't totally depend on any of it.
On a different note, is there a way to keep the seat position when turning off the engine. While it is a neat feature to move in helping getting out easier etc., if you are in and out alot, I think it would be wear on the power seat and steering....in my previous Toyota, I was able to adjust it so it would not move ? ( Memory seats ) You seemed to have a lot of knowledge here, so I though I would ask, or maybe someone else can chime in as well.
I wouldn't worry about it. You're under warranty for the next 4 years on that seat motor. And in the event that it fries after your warranty is over, you can swap it for ~$100 yourself.

Cars will ALWAYS break parts. Enjoy them while they work.
Old 05-10-15, 02:46 PM
leej865
Driver

What's wrong with having a little help? This is what I love about technology...it can be HELPFUL! Sure...I can always align the front of my hood with one of the shelves in my garage...but, it's a no brainer to just coast in until I get the triple beep, and I'm done.

Of course, I didn't have to special order my NX to get these...it arrived at the dealership with them.

Now, if we could only have technology that would zap everyone with a shock as soon as they picked up their phone when the car was in D or R... I'd be totally on board with that!
Old 05-10-15, 03:45 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
you can turn that off in the settings somewhere

I had it enabled to partially move the seat back when I turn off the engine, but I decided to just disable it. The steering wheel still retracts though.
Old 05-10-15, 04:03 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

I wouldn't worry about it. You're under warranty for the next 4 years on that seat motor. And in the event that it fries after your warranty is over, you can swap it for ~$100 yourself.

Cars will ALWAYS break parts. Enjoy them while they work.
Okay...yeah, and most of the time I trade after a warranty is over or when the new model comes out
Old 05-10-15, 04:05 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by typocl
you can turn that off in the settings somewhere

I had it enabled to partially move the seat back when I turn off the engine, but I decided to just disable it. The steering wheel still retracts though.
Thanks....I'll check it out !
Old 05-12-15, 10:31 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is Intuitive Park assist? I don't see it as an option on the Canadian vehicles. We do have clearance and backup sensors.
Old 05-12-15, 11:03 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
What is Intuitive Park assist? I don't see it as an option on the Canadian vehicles. We do have clearance and backup sensors.
See
of the feature on a GS. I believe the Park Assist button is located elsewhere on the NX.
Old 05-12-15, 11:14 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendaman
See this short video of the feature on a GS. I believe the Park Assist button is located elsewhere on the NX.
Thanks brendaman,
The button looks familiar but I don't recall the dealership mentioning this feature during our introduction to the NX. I will check when I get home.

Quick Reply: Intuitive Park Assist or Not?