NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question on the Remote Engine Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 09:32 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the Remote Engine Start

Since the NX is new all of us are in the 1 year complimentary period for the Lexus Enform apps including Remote Engine start. I am curious if my key fob remote starter will work after the 1 year free period ends. Currently I can hit lock twice and hold it a 3rd time to start my engine. I don't need the "On Star" type of services and the cell phone app is nice but does not offer enough value to me to pay over $300 a year for it.

Does anyone know if the key fob remote start process will be disabled if we do not subscribe to Lexus Enform after the 1 year trial period?

I see that Best Buy has the Viper Smart Start that uses the factory keyfob installed for about $300 which would be an option if this requires a subscription. I probably would go to a local place that specializes in remote starts and aftermarket radios but this is a good pricing example.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vs...99207600050000
Old 05-07-15, 11:10 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
The key fob-based remote start does not require a subscription to Enform.
Hmmmmmmmm.......... You have a base model 200T (no Nav and no Enform) -- and the key fob remote start works for you?

Enform remote start (app) comes free and activated ( for 1 year ) by dealer on most 200Ts and F-Sports that have Nav in U.S.

I thought the jury was still out on the question above based on this thread that says the Enform app had to be activated --- but there was never really a NON ENFORM person piping up to say it worked for them.

check out post #31 from Phil on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-with-fob.html

Last edited by cb80923; 05-07-15 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 11:17 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I could be wrong...I thought we resolved this in the other thread, but rereading it see it just kind of died.
Old 05-07-15, 12:41 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spcran4d
The key fob-based remote start does not require a subscription to Enform.
it certainly DOES...it can only be activated with a subscription activated via a smartphone...

ONLY ON NAV EQUIPPED MODELS
Old 05-07-15, 12:41 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
it certainly DOES...it can only be activated with a subscription activated via a smartphone...
I stand corrected.
Old 05-07-15, 01:55 PM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

I was curious, so I just went out and tested my Enform remote app. It works to start my car as well as lock/unlock!

I also tested the key fob. It also works.

I am kind of annoyed at the salesman at the moment. I specifically asked him before I purchased my car if there was a remote start that came with the car or as an option. He told me, there is no remote start for the NX and I would have to purchase an aftermarket item. Why the misinformation? I would think this would be a good selling point!
Old 05-07-15, 03:57 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KarmaNina
I was curious, so I just went out and tested my Enform remote app. It works to start my car as well as lock/unlock!

I also tested the key fob. It also works.

I am kind of annoyed at the salesman at the moment. I specifically asked him before I purchased my car if there was a remote start that came with the car or as an option. He told me, there is no remote start for the NX and I would have to purchase an aftermarket item. Why the misinformation? I would think this would be a good selling point!
No misinformation, misunderstanding and perhaps lack of training. A remote start of past years consisted of a module that interfaced directly from the user to the car. There is no factory one for the NX yet.

What you have is a remote "controlled" start where a third party, Toyota's Enform application platform, initiated a start on your car under it's control through a mobile app request or a fob key sequence request. When that subscription ends, no remote start.

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-07-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 05:00 PM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
No misinformation, misunderstanding and perhaps lack of training. A remote start of past years consisted of a module that interfaced directly from the user to the car. There is no factory one for the NX yet.

What you have is a remote "controlled" start where a third party, Toyota's Enform application platform, initiated a start on your car under it's control through a mobile app request or a fob key sequence request. When that subscription ends, no remote start.

Um, ok. I don't even know what to say.
Old 05-07-15, 05:11 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

It is on the window sticker....LEXUS ENFORM REMOTE

unfortunately the salesperson was not well trained
Old 05-07-15, 05:15 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um, ok. I don't even know what to say.
We have no Enform in Canada and the lack of a factory option for remote starter for the NX is kind of a bummer. They have one for the 3IS though and there are some good aftermarket ones that can use the factory remote so something I'll have to look at for the lady as she parks outside at work.
Old 05-08-15, 05:36 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

We are having the dealer install a 2 way aftermarket remote. My wife also parks outside at work, so it will be a handy addition. We pick it up on Saturday.
Old 05-08-15, 06:24 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

requiring an enform subscription is a big mistake. Acura does not require a subscription for their remote start. Many mainstream brands offer remote starters without a subscription. The Enform remote is priced at $220 a year or $345 a year with the enform apps. Pricing seems very high just for a remote starter. After 3 years of this service you have paid over $600 to remote start your vehicle. Lexus needs to find a way to truly show value for these enform services. Maybe they should throw in free map upgrades for the Nav system, the emergency service (AAA type breakdown service), or other services.

Also, consider that in most parts of the country the remote start is only needs for maybe 4-5 months a year (Dec through early March and then maybe July and August).

As for the Apps I don't see much value in them since they require you to use your cell phone for internet access. You can easily go on your phone to check stocks, sports scores, movie tickets, or open table.

Last edited by wildeklave; 05-08-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 06:59 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wildeklave
requiring an enform subscription is a big mistake. Acura does not require a subscription for their remote start. Many mainstream brands offer remote starters without a subscription. The Enform remote is priced at $220 a year or $345 a year with the enform apps. Pricing seems very high just for a remote starter. After 3 years of this service you have paid over $600 to remote start your vehicle. Lexus needs to find a way to truly show value for these enform services. Maybe they should throw in free map upgrades for the Nav system, the emergency service (AAA type breakdown service), or other services.

Also, consider that in most parts of the country the remote start is only needs for maybe 4-5 months a year (Dec through early March and then maybe July and August).

As for the Apps I don't see much value in them since they require you to use your cell phone for internet access. You can easily go on your phone to check stocks, sports scores, movie tickets, or open table.
the apps are free for life, no subscription required.

soon, an announcement will be made that the enform remote will only be $80 renewal and NO safety connect required....stat tuned for that email/letter!
Old 05-08-15, 07:29 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

soon, an announcement will be made that the enform remote will only be $80 renewal and NO safety connect required....stat tuned for that email/letter!
thanks for the info. $80 sounds good since some of the other aftermarket systems have subscriptions for $4-6 a month.
Old 05-08-15, 12:32 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$80 ??? Still way too much for something that takes way too long to actually work, and doesnt work the first time most of the time.

Quick Reply: Question on the Remote Engine Start