NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX v MKC v RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 02:36 PM
DrakanFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX v MKC v RDX

Hello all. I am shopping for a new CUV and thought I ask everyone their thoughts on these competing models as it would help with my decision.

I test drove the NX earlier this week. Unfortunately the experience was less than I hoped. I called the salesman saying I'll be there earlier than scheduled and he said he was available. When I got there he wasn't and kept telling me he had other things to do. Still was able to test drive it but had to walk across the otherside of the lot. He didn't really show me much of the features due to other things he had to do and the test drive was mostly around the block. He also didn't feel confident at all he could find the color combo I wanted Ultrasonic blue with Red interior. I asked him 3 days ago to look up the nation inventory and still haven't gotten a reply what he found. So not a good start so far as I has high hopes about this car. I won't settle for anything other than the colors I want.

I also test drove I test drove the MKC and I was actual impressed compared to my expectations. It felt comfortable, roomy, and had a lot of features. The salesman took time to show me a lot of features before we took it down the highway. I did feel very comfortable on the road and the drive modes were fun and liked how it changed the instrument gauges. Price competes with the RDX. Having 2 years of free maintenance is a plus too. Biggest draw back is it is not nearly as sporty as the NX and isn't as a big badge as Lexus. Having a really good test drive experience does make a huge difference. This really makes the decision harder.

May try the 2016 RDX next weekend if they are at dealership.

I appreciate anyone's honest opinions about these models. Thanks.
Old 05-03-15, 02:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Your experience does sound annoying (I've been there), and un-Lexus like based on my experience.

If available, you might try another Lexus dealership and hopefully get a sales rep that is better to work with
Old 05-03-15, 03:52 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely give the Lexus another try. We had the exact opposite experience. Fantastic experience at Lexus and was completely ignored at the Lincoln dealership. The salesman were to busy having a hen party to help us out. One guy, who was busy with another couple tried to find us someone, but no one wanted to help. Any how, we went home and put in our order for the NX that afternoon.

We also drove 2015 rdx, and having driven nothing but Acuras for the last 10 plus years, we were actually dissapointed in the RDX after driving the NX. I wonder if our opinions would be different with a 2016 rdx.
Old 05-03-15, 04:08 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, do give another Lexus dealership a try. I had the same issue with my first Lexus dealership. They would not budge on price, and came up with all kinds of stories to get me to try to deal with them immediately after jerking me around, and was actually insulted at the trade they wanted to give me.
My second dealership was awesome, gave me a fair trade price, and also came off the retail price of the NX. I couldn't ask for better care as they found the color and options that I wanted.
I think what you experienced is what you can find at any dealership and make of car. There are good and bad salesman, those that go the extra mile, and those who make you feel as though you are invisible. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 05-03-15, 05:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Drakanfire, the MKC has some strong points but what did not work for me was the rear seat comfort, Rubbermaid-like plastics, and poor fit and finish which I demand in a premium vehicle.

Here are two pics:

See more pics and a static mini review on the MKC here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post8635083

Then factor in a mediocre track record with Ford's Ecoboost engines and I'd stay away as a long-term purchase. RDX is a good choice if the NX doesn't do it for you but as was mentioned above, try another dealer or salesman since your unfortunate experience definitely left you on a sour note where you didn't get to truly experience the NX..
Old 05-03-15, 06:54 PM
nxlee
Driver School Candidate

Default NX-MKC-RDX decision

DrakanFire...

You asked for opinions, and from members of this column you will get a boatload. Here’s mine for what it’s worth.

The MKC is a quiet, smooth riding car with lots of technology and safety options including autopark features. Fully loaded, I priced it at about $3K below a 200T fully loaded. I don’t think Lincoln Corporate was forthcoming about the Sirius radio signal randomly dropping out for the last 9 months and they were not aggressive toward getting a solution IMHO. (They did better with the start/stop button relocation which appears to have been a safety/design error.) My confidence in the brand did not grow on the Sirius issue.

They may be taking this go-slo approach about cracking being reported in the pano moonroof by some owners as well.. “not our problem”. Suggest you check out an MKC forum as well on these matters. Reliability and reputation compared with Lexus is often cited as the biggest concern.

I noted some hesitation in acceleration with the 2.0T.. maybe that was just me. Otherwise the design is clean and the clamshell door is a unique design solution.

As for the RDX, it’s hard to judge what hasn’t been available.. until 2016, no technology package, no blind spot warning , no intelligent cruise control, etc., etc. They seemed comfortable resting “on their laurels”. The basic 2015 car rode well for me and I think it excels in the rear cargo room. You’ll have to judge for yourself whether the 3,4,6 variable cylinder management program is overly complex, although it has been used by Honda for quite a few years.

After 2+ years I just quit waiting to drive a technically complete RDX to find out if it was worth the wait and Lexus stepped up with an, edgy, technically superior, comfortable CUV. My NX comes in 2 weeks. I was lucky with a patient, experienced salesman and extended test drives. And, as you may be experiencing in Texas, it was a long wait to get the color combination and features I wanted from Japan. Part of the cost to acquire, I guess.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-04-15, 04:16 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Compact-SUVs/
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...glk-250/?all=1

Road and track or Car and driver did a test of the SUV's the RDX wasn't in the grouping but the MKC was. NX beat out the BMW by a hair for the title.
Old 05-04-15, 12:56 PM
DrakanFire
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone so far for sharing your opinions and knowledge. Every bit helps me make a confident decision as this will be the most expensive car I will purchase so far.

I will read your MKC thread later on when I get home. I did a little research and I didn't realize Lincoln has a bad rap. I thought overall the car wasn't so bad but having a good resale value is a big factor.

I have started talking to another Lexus dealership and so far it has been great! The salesman has been friendly not pushy and quick to get back with me on questions and requested. He was able to find me just a few of my color combination. Unfortunately they are all the same spec but good news is one of them is arriving at the dealership end of this month. He told me in order to get the pre collision system it would require a special order that can take 4-7 months. Ouch! So if I chose the NX it will be a touch decision to make and soon if I can't wait for a special order as it sounds like these are flying off the lots.
Do you still have the same negotiations ability for these?
I still need to go in for a true Lexus experience and test drive.
Old 05-04-15, 07:00 PM
nxlee
Driver School Candidate

Default Worth the wait perhaps for features you really want.

Originally Posted by DrakanFire
Thank you everyone so far for sharing your opinions and knowledge. Every bit helps me make a confident decision as this will be the most expensive car I will purchase so far.

I will read your MKC thread later on when I get home. I did a little research and I didn't realize Lincoln has a bad rap. I thought overall the car wasn't so bad but having a good resale value is a big factor.

I have started talking to another Lexus dealership and so far it has been great! The salesman has been friendly not pushy and quick to get back with me on questions and requested. He was able to find me just a few of my color combination. Unfortunately they are all the same spec but good news is one of them is arriving at the dealership end of this month. He told me in order to get the pre collision system it would require a special order that can take 4-7 months. Ouch! So if I chose the NX it will be a touch decision to make and soon if I can't wait for a special order as it sounds like these are flying off the lots.
Do you still have the same negotiations ability for these?
I still need to go in for a true Lexus experience and test drive.
Mine, with pre-collision, etc. took 17 weeks (through next week..yeah!!!) Since I'll own it for quite a while, it was worth the wait to me. I'd like as many features as possible since self driving cars are just around the corner.
Old 05-04-15, 07:32 PM
DrakanFire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nxlee

Mine, with pre-collision, etc. took 17 weeks (through next week..yeah!!!) Since I'll own it for quite a while, it was worth the wait to me. I'd like as many features as possible since self driving cars are just around the corner.
Ideally I would have no issue getting a special order and waiting for exactly what I want, but the main problem with waiting is the car I am trading in value only goes down and they are already low balling the offer :/

It could be even lower 4-6 months later.
Old 05-05-15, 10:10 PM
LexRTR
Driver School Candidate

I have a NX F Sport on special order that I will be canceling tomorrow due to having ordered it just shy of 3 months ago & still having no build or shipping, or delivery date. Apparently Lexus has fallen behind on production. I was told I could expect delivery in 90 days;120 days worst case scenario. WRONG! This opened the door for me to check out other brands. The RDX & MKC were among those.

The Acura dealership was primo, however the 2015 model just didn't have enough bells & whistles for me & presently the 2016 is not out; otherwise I'd strongly consider the 2016 RDX.

Next the MKC... well I just ordered 1 today & it will arrive no later than Fri! I found it gives the most bang for my buck & ended up costing nearly the same loaded as my near basic F Sport. Plus the Lincoln personnel bent over backwards to make this happen whereas I've had numerous issues with Lexus. So much so that all present contact is with the GM. The whole package is why I switched to Lincoln over BMW, Audi & Cadillac also. Plus I own a Ford Ranger (13 yrs) & have had other Fords b4, though I didn't think of it when I started looking into Lincoln. Now don't get it twisted though because I'm still a Lexus enthusiast who owns a GS400.

Last edited by LexRTR; 05-07-15 at 10:32 AM. Reason: minor editing/spell correction
Old 05-06-15, 03:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRTR
I have a NX F Sport on special order that I will be canceling tomorrow due to having ordered it just shy of 3 months ago & still having no build our shipping, or delivery date. Apparently Lexus has fallen behind on production. I was told I could expect delivery in 90 days;120 days worst case scenario. WRONG! This opened the door for me to check out other brands. The RDX & MKC were among those.

The Acura dealership was primo, however the 2015 model just didn't have enough bells & whistles for me & presently the 2016 is not out; otherwise I'd strongly consider the 2016.

Next the MKC... well I just ordered 1 today & it will arrive no later than Fri! I found it gives the most bang for my buck & ended up costing nearly the same loaded as my near basic F Sport. Plus the Lincoln personnel bent over backwards to make this happen whereas I've had numerous issues with Lexus. So much so that all present contact is with the GM. The whole package is why I switched to Lincoln over BMW, Audi & Cadillac also. Plus I own a Ford Ranger (13 yrs) & have had other Fords b4, though I didn't think of it when I started looking into Lincoln. Now don't get it twisted though because I'm still a Lexus enthusiast who owns a GS400.
Lexus probably had nothing to do with your car being as late as it is. Your dealer probably didn't have an allocation and just held onto your money. This happens all the time.

Now completely separate from your post, but personally, I wouldn't buy a Lincoln, its a Ford, and all the issues that come with one.
Old 05-06-15, 05:02 AM
LexRTR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Lexus probably had nothing to do with your car being as late as it is. Your dealer probably didn't have an allocation and just held onto your money. This happens all the time.

Now completely separate from your post, but personally, I wouldn't buy a Lincoln, its a Ford, and all the issues that come with one.
Interesting take on the dealer allocation thing & there is evidence to that. I think the dealer delayed my order because the acceptance was received 3 weeks later & I know someone else with the same order date that got their acceptance just 5 days after their order & got the remaining status near a month ago. Additionally they just processed my deposit a few weeks ago. When I called my salesman out about that he replied they had to have a vehicle/ allocation to charge it against. Hmm?

To each their own on vehicle selections but to say Lincoln is a Ford is the same as saying Lexus is a Toyota. I've not had any ongoing issues with any of my Fords so my experience is my reality.
Old 05-06-15, 05:56 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

good luck with the MKC. My friend has a 2013 Escape that I have driven in. It is a nice car and rides nicely.

It is interesting that 15-20 years ago the Japanese companies were the ones that bent over backwards to service the customer but now Lincoln seems to be doing that while some Lexus dealers may have a certain arrogance because the badge is highly acclaimed.
Old 05-07-15, 08:34 PM
DrakanFire
Driver School Candidate

Default MKC Black Label

Well I might be getting a MKC Black Label. They have already started making the 2016 so I am getting a really good deal on the 2015 even though the interior color isn't my first option. Ya it doesn't have a prestige badge as Lexus but the loaded features 4 years of no cost maintenance and free detailing it was too hard to pass up.

Quick Reply: NX v MKC v RDX