NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

When are the Low Cost Automated Braking Safety packages coming to the NX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 06:00 AM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question When are the Low Cost Automated Braking Safety packages coming to the NX?

This was announced back in March. Do we expect Toyota to start offering them in the 2016 NX?
http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/compa...afety-packages

I'm interested because I don't think I can stomach a $10k (Canadian) bump from the base model to get some of the technology safety features in higher trims.

Wondering if like the 2016 RAV4, Toyota will be offering this safety package affordably. The only thing missing to that list seems like the Blind Spot Monitoring.
Old 05-03-15, 06:15 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hard to say exactly when, yet here's the excerpt from Jim Lentz in the press release you posted.

Taking high-level driver-assist to the next level, the safety packages will be offered as a very-low-cost option and will be systematically introduced across nearly all North American Toyota and Lexus models and trim levels, top-to-bottom, by the end of 2017,” said Jim Lentz, President and CEO Toyota Motor North America. “Pushing these systems across our lineup, as quickly as possible, can help protect people in the event of a crash. More importantly it will help prevent some crashes from ever happening in the first place.
What will be interesting to see is in the case of the NX is how pricing will be reflected in the higher-up packages since a major part of the 7-10K upsell today is composed of these safety systems.

It is possible, but purely speculation, that in order to maintain that price gap between packages, maybe N.A. may get the glass roof, 360-view camera, power-folding mirrors, Start/Stop, and Mark Levinson. (For the US, they may get AVS and HUD while Canadians might also get ASC). Final wishful thinking is a top-line NX 350 with the upcoming new 3.5L DS4 engine (in the '16 RX) to address the upper pricing.

Else, (which I highly doubt), the higher packages will have a drop in price.
Old 05-03-15, 01:33 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't that news release also alluded to tiered pricing for the various technology? Basically, marketing speak for including regionally mandated safety technology across the board and then, incrementally adding additional tech as premium offerings even if at lower prices. Rear camera, BSM and rear cross traffic alert is already standard in most trims other than basic. Park distance assist is a negligible cost if the later are there. The premium will be for radar cruise, forward collision, etc. Some of them can marginally be called convenience features rather than safety.