NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:10 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torque steer

Having owned several AWD vehicles it felt unusual having so much torque steer when accelerating in a straight line. Anyone else notice this? I know its FWD based which is likely the reason, but I expected a more linear effort.
Old 04-23-15, 07:13 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not only FWD based it is FWD 100% of the time unless it detects slippage and then the AWD kicks in and can split up to 50/50 if I recall correctly.

So, essentially you are driving a FWD car most of the time, you will not see the AWD features most of the time.

Phil
Old 04-23-15, 02:52 PM
NXFan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bdwg22
Having owned several AWD vehicles it felt unusual having so much torque steer when accelerating in a straight line. Anyone else notice this? I know its FWD based which is likely the reason, but I expected a more linear effort.
I have a FWD and do notice torque steer when accelerating. Haven't drivin a car with over 200hp before this, so feels like it is very powerful. I just grip the wheel and gas it!
Old 04-23-15, 08:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have AWD and yes, torque steer is noticeable as the pull is very strong. Engaging the four-wheel lock at a standing start reduces the torque steer but this mode disengages at 25 mph+.
Old 04-24-15, 04:42 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have AWD and yes, torque steer is noticeable as the pull is very strong. Engaging the four-wheel lock at a standing start reduces the torque steer but this mode disengages at 25 mph+.
Do the front wheels spin in the rain when you punch it from a stop? Or does the AWD kick in right away to prevent that? I had a FWD Edge Sport and it spun everytime so I'm hoping the NX handles that better.

I guess the torque lock would solve that problem but when you engage that does it always stay on, or do you have to press the button everytime you start the vehicle?
Old 04-24-15, 05:02 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As many others have said, torque steer is because the car is FWD Bias. It is upward to 80/20 bias to the front I believe. Thus, you're going to drive like a normal FWD car and all the poor torque management that comes with it lol

And t o Bdwg, FWD vs. AWD has nothing to do with your ford edge spinning in the rain. That is simply poor front suspension geometry, weight distribution, and gearing. I know you won't do this, but this is just to say, if you'd take 2 50lb weight bars, weld them to the front of your car near the front of the frame, and take the stock transmission out and change the gear ratio about .2, betcha $10 it stops spinning.

The same is true when my wife had her 2006 tC. The front gear was extremely too short and the car would spin. Short gearing + FWD + Light weight (relative) = poor handling from a stop.

Any true ability to put power down comes from a car that is RWD or utilizes RWD bias when AWD.

Last edited by Swacer; 04-24-15 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 10:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Do the front wheels spin in the rain when you punch it from a stop? Or does the AWD kick in right away to prevent that? I had a FWD Edge Sport and it spun everytime so I'm hoping the NX handles that better.

I guess the torque lock would solve that problem but when you engage that does it always stay on, or do you have to press the button everytime you start the vehicle?
Traction control, Vehicle Stability, and the AWD's auto-engagement of up to 50% of power to the rear axle work in unison to achieve optimal traction. In short, since it's a reactive system starting at 100% power to the front wheels, you may feel the slightest moment of slip (if at all), then immediately followed by the feel of power being held back while still accelerating and gaining speed.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-24-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 01:53 PM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info I'm going to drive it again to get a better feel. I'm used to Mercedes 4matic system so that's probably why it's more noticeable. I have a heavy foot.
Old 04-24-15, 05:19 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXFan
I have a FWD and do notice torque steer when accelerating. Haven't drivin a car with over 200hp before this, so feels like it is very powerful. I just grip the wheel and gas it!
Nothing over 200hp.....?

My soul cries for you lol
Old 04-25-15, 09:47 PM
NXFan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swacer
Nothing over 200hp.....?

My soul cries for you lol
LOL! My Camry v6 was 196hp and our last CRV 4cyl was like 164hp. This car has some guts compared to the last 2, and has better gas mileage. Just hurts having to fill with Premium.
Old 04-26-15, 05:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXFan
LOL! My Camry v6 was 196hp and our last CRV 4cyl was like 164hp. This car has some guts compared to the last 2, and has better gas mileage. Just hurts having to fill with Premium.
Gotta up those numbers my friend!

Premium isn't bad, a buddy and I did a quick number crunch and found that with premium, you only spend ~$200 more a year on gas when driving like 12k miles a year. Heck, that's less than an anniversary dinner lol

I have my Camaro tuned to 93 or higher (used to only need 91 or higher), my previous gen coupe ran premium, my wife's IS runs premium. You just kinda get used to it.

I wonder though, if someone can please hack the ECU so I can get the NX's boost limit increased another 4-5psi. Might be able to squeeze 270hp out of it, which would make it a little bit better of a "get up and go". Also, wouldn't hurt to have someone look into the torque curve vs. the turbo spin up time.

However....Toyota locks the ECUs...because tuning isn't allowed for some reason