NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Cargo room

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 09:50 AM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cargo room

For those of you who have owned the NX for a while, I am curious if you find the vehicle has adequate room?

We have been going back and forth trying to make a decision on a new vehicle and I cannot seem to convince hubby that the NX has more than enough room. He wants me to purchase a Highlander Limited Platinum and I want the NX FSport. I don't need to explain my position here...

I would be trading in my 2009 IS250 AWD, so I know the cargo room is greater than my current ride.

I have test driven both vehicles and I LOVE the NX. My hubby has not driven either.

Thoughts, opinions are welcome and encouraged....
Old 04-22-15, 09:56 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

both are great vehicles but are in different classes. The Highlander is similar sized to the RX while the NX is similar sized to the Rav 4 with a similar length to the Corolla and IS.

The publications claim the trunk has 17 cubic feet but that is just below the Tourneau cover. I did some rough measuring and came up to about 26 cubic feet behind the seats. You can fit 2 full sized suit cases side by side with carry ons on top of them.

Where the NX does lack is the overall cargo because the rear hatch slopes down more than the RAV4 so you lose a few cubic feet of cargo above the seat level at the very rear.

To assess your needs we would need to know if you have kids, do you go on a lot of weekend trips with lots of luggage, what would you use the extra cargo space for, etc...
Old 04-22-15, 10:01 AM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildeklave
both are great vehicles but are in different classes. The Highlander is similar sized to the RX while the NX is similar sized to the Rav 4 with a similar length to the Corolla and IS.

The publications claim the trunk has 17 cubic feet but that is just below the Tourneau cover. I did some rough measuring and came up to about 26 cubic feet behind the seats. You can fit 2 full sized suit cases side by side with carry ons on top of them.

Where the NX does lack is the overall cargo because the rear hatch slopes down more than the RAV4 so you lose a few cubic feet of cargo above the seat level at the very rear.

To assess your needs we would need to know if you have kids, do you go on a lot of weekend trips with lots of luggage, what would you use the extra cargo space for, etc...

Hello wildeklave,

thank you for your input. We have no kids at home, but we do have 2 Boston Terriers that go with us on outings. So we need the room for crates (they fold down) and luggage.

Would a bike fit if the back seats were down?
Old 04-22-15, 11:33 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

You are probably better off with the Highlander since with the 2 dogs and a bike you would need lots of room. The NX is a Compact SUV and is a couple of inches shorter height-wise than a RAV4.
Old 04-22-15, 11:52 AM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildeklave
You are probably better off with the Highlander since with the 2 dogs and a bike you would need lots of room. The NX is a Compact SUV and is a couple of inches shorter height-wise than a RAV4.
My apologies, I should have been more clear, what I meant by the bike question was just would a bike fit. Not the dogs and the bike.

If I take the dogs and the bike I would use a bike rack
Old 04-23-15, 07:18 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Yes a bike should easily fit in the back of the NX with the seats folded down. And if it is a smaller bike it might even fit sideways, but probably not most adult bikes in that setup.

Phil
Old 04-23-15, 08:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

KarmaNina, I had a 2008 IS and not only did it not have a folding rear seat as you're aware, but 13 cu Ft cargo was about half of what the NX offers behind the seats. So if you were content with the IS, the NX is huge in comparison! A bike any size will fit flat with room to spare with the seats folded and depending on how you place it , you can keep the split "40-side" up with a passenger at the rear.

For actual measurements of the cargo area and pics of what can fit on page 2, see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nt-for-nx.html

Convince hubby to get the NX (it's better on gas too), unless you absolutely require a bigger vehicle the Highlander is. Good luck!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-23-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 07:39 PM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
KarmaNina, I had a 2008 IS and not only did it not have a folding rear seat as you're aware, but 13 cu Ft cargo was about half of what the NX offers behind the seats. So if you were content with the IS, the NX is huge in comparison! A bike any size will fit flat with room to spare with the seats folded and depending on how you place it , you can keep the split "40-side" up with a passenger at the rear.

For actual measurements of the cargo area and pics of what can fit on page 2, see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nt-for-nx.html

Convince hubby to get the NX (it's better on gas too), unless you absolutely require a bigger vehicle the Highlander is. Good luck!
Great information and insight. I knew I would find "the" answers to all of my questions here

Thanks a bunch!