Body Side Moldings / Nudguards

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 08:49 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Side Moldings / Nudguards

I just picked up a new NX200T AWD.

I am considering mudguards and body side moldings. I have the door edge guards already. The dealer is working up a quote for the parts and labor for me.

I believe we have a detailed thread about the mudguards and the benefits of them already. For the body side moldings I am considering them to enhance the look and because where I live we have assigned parking and I park next to a guest spot. That spot is typically taken by my neighbor with a CRV, a RAM 1500, or a Toyota Corolla (family member of mine). The Toyota I am not worried about since that is someone in my household and will take care not to hit my door. The other 2 are neighbors and may be careless from time to time, even if it is just the wind blowing their doors open.

I also want protection when parking for shopping and the like.

What are your thoughts for the moldings for my reasons?

Detailed mudflap thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-question.html
Old 04-15-15, 08:55 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I got the moldings to help protect when parking in a parking lot (they try to squeeze as many spots as possible around here) and also myself when parking in my garage. It's a tight squeeze with the IS250 and NX in my garage. The molding helps me when opening the door from dinging the IS. Plus, I kind of like the look.
Old 04-15-15, 09:21 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the mud flaps and if body color matched, then the door edge guards, but I wouldn't pay extra for the edge guards. I would buy the mud flaps and DIY since they are simple bolt on as they match the contour of the car already.

I've had cars and SUV with and without body side mouldings, and it's hit and miss on protection, mostly miss (which in this case means a hit from the other door) as not every door's edge will line up to the moulding when it hits your car.
Old 04-15-15, 09:38 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
What are your thoughts for the moldings for my reasons?
I have the moldings and I both appreciate their ding-reducing power and like the look as well! I also have the mudflaps, and like them. My dealer installed both.
Old 04-15-15, 09:40 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

There is a long discussion on this topic already, see this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...the-doors.html

Also, in that thread pics of mine after they were installed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8906467

I would read that topic before posting more in here.

Phil
Old 04-15-15, 12:40 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

My dealer wants:

Mudguards - $109 + $62.50 labor
Moldings - $160 + $125 labor

The part prices are lower than the Lexus standard prices MSRP but the labor may make it pricey. It seems Sewel is no longer selling parts to new customers but am checking with factorylexusparts.com who advertises on this site. With shipping I have to see if the price difference will make sense.

I think both items are worth it for me so will end the discussion on whether to get them, especially since the other threads are very detailed on the topics.

It does seem many of the dealers have closed down their online parts departments. I wonder if it is some kind of agreement since some were undercutting the others on prices.
Old 04-29-15, 01:32 AM
alexdell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer wants:

The part prices are lower than the Lexus standard prices MSRP but the labor may make it pricey. It seems Sewel is no longer selling parts to new customers but am checking with factorylexusparts.com who advertises on this site. With shipping I have to see if the price difference will make sense.

I think both items are worth it for me so will end the discussion on whether to get them, especially since the other threads are very detailed on the topics.

It does seem many of the dealers have closed down their online parts departments. I wonder if it is some kind of agreement since some were undercutting the others on prices.
I just ordered both items from factory lexusparts.com for $153.36 w/ free shipping. This is after using the "CL5" discount code for Club Lexus members. I'm planning on installing them myself.

Alex
Old 04-29-15, 03:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer wants:

For the mudguards, that isn't really bad. $62 is about 45 minutes of work, since I believe Lexus is near $100/hr labor. I'd do that without a second thought.
Old 04-30-15, 07:02 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I found this site that has different options for the Body Side Moldings. They also offer wheel trim. Has anyone purchased these products before? They do look interesting.

Moldings-
Painted to match the vehicle's color:
http://www.bodysidemoldings.com/Lexu...Trim-s/489.htm

Painted with a color strip:
http://www.bodysidemoldings.com/Lexu...erts-s/755.htm

With chrome inserts:
http://www.bodysidemoldings.com/Lexu...ding-s/627.htm

Wheel Trim:
http://www.bodysidemoldings.com/Colo...w-trim-4pc.htm
Old 05-01-15, 06:12 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I was thinking of the body side moldings, but decided I like the lines of the NX without them. I do want the mudguards, and have noticed there are many different prices on them depending on where you look. I wish they made ones that match the color of the NX. That could look sweet !
Old 05-01-15, 06:42 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I really wish there was an affordable product for the doors similar to the protection we put on our cell phone screens. I called one detailer about it and he wanted $1500 since he would need to buy the film from 3M and then measure and make cuts himself. For the equivalent of the Clear Bra it would have only been a few hundred dollars.

Considering some of the commercials for the cell phone protectors involve testers using a hammer on the screen and the screen not breaking I think this could be a decent adaptation for cars.
Old 05-01-15, 07:34 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish there was an affordable product for the doors similar to the protection we put on our cell phone screens. I called one detailer about it and he wanted $1500 since he would need to buy the film from 3M and then measure and make cuts himself. For the equivalent of the Clear Bra it would have only been a few hundred dollars.

Considering some of the commercials for the cell phone protectors involve testers using a hammer on the screen and the screen not breaking I think this could be a decent adaptation for cars.
I parked next to a Porsche at my office that had the 3M film on the lower part of the side panels and doors. I left at the same time the owner did and I asked him where he got the film applied. I called the place and to just put 6" of the film on the sides they wanted $2000....
Old 05-01-15, 08:51 AM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the side moldings from an ebay seller (a Lexus dealership in Arizona) for $112 shipped. Instructions were printed out and included in the box. I plan to do the installation this morning.
Old 05-01-15, 09:13 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rumpletzer
I got the side moldings from an ebay seller (a Lexus dealership in Arizona) for $112 shipped. Instructions were printed out and included in the box. I plan to do the installation this morning.
Let us know how the self installation goes. Also, please share any challenges or things of note others should know before attempting the DIY themselves. Lastly, share how long it takes you to do the installation.
Old 05-01-15, 09:27 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

there are Youtube vids of the application process for body side moldings. Techniques they describe for prep should carry over to the NX moldings

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings / Nudguards