NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Upgrade cargo lights with LED's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 10:52 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Upgrade cargo lights with LED's

2016/05/23 update - please read this thread completely. The 2016 model seems to have changed bulb type from the festoon style to a T10 style. Check your existing bulb to verify before purchasing anything.

I purchased a set of LED replacements from HIDPowerHouse:

http://hidpowerhouse.com/shop/trunk-...2015-lexus-nx/

The light enclosure pops out rather easily (pry it out from the short side where the power switch is) , then disconnect the power connector and you end up with this:

Pop off the grey cover:

This is the LED replacement:

Insert the LED to look like this:

Finally, insert the spring loaded adapter:

It's a tight fit, and the adapter might try to kick out and make the switch not work properly. I found it best to have the switch in the ON position after adjusting it before putting the grey cover back on and then putting the enclosure back in the car. They know it's a snug fit and are looking at options to make it a little better. I found that I could just cut the spring off the adapter and that seems to make it better as it's still a snug fit, but without the extra force of the spring trying to push it off center.

Replace the grey cover - note how part of the LED board sticks out - the grey cover keeps it in place:

I turned off the left cargo light and this is the stock light:

Left side where the stock light from the right side is the sole illumination (really dark):

New LED light:

Left side where the new LED light from the right side is the sole illumination:

Last edited by typocl; 05-23-16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 11:13 PM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks Peter for shopping with us.

Enjoy your new LEDs!
Old 04-14-15, 06:59 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, looks pretty easy to do for sure.

Thanks for sharing the process with us.

Phil
Old 04-14-15, 08:04 AM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great !
thx for the write up typocl

HIDPH -
Is there any better pricing for CL members? Thought I'd ask
Old 04-14-15, 08:27 AM
typocl
Instructor

Note - I paid for these LED's - it wasn't a freebie if I did a writeup. I bought this as well as an interior upgrade package for my wife's IS250. I was mainly shopping for the IS and looked at different vendors. I chose this company to purchase the IS package from because of price as well as the fact they post on CL and post their instructions for some things as well (IS puddle lights - I'm still too scared to do those as it's my wife's car...).

He also responds quickly to emails.

The IS250 bulbs are the same upgrade as the NX vanity bulbs. I think I'm going to do them next just so that all the lights in the car are white(ish). The vanity lights look so yellow/orange in comparison.
Old 05-07-15, 11:50 PM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

For those interested in the $7 (shipped) option, I can confirm that these fit in the same manner as shown above:
2X White LED Dome Map Interior Light Bulb SMD 12-LED Panel Xenon HID Lamp

The ones that I bought have 12 LEDs, but the board size is the same as the 6 LED option shown in the OP so it fits into the lens fixture in the same way.

The LED boards that I bought included three plug options, so I was also able to fit them into the vanity light (sun visor light), but the LEDs are not attractive when pressed against the lens. In the cargo area, they're not up against your face and I don't mind the 12 bright spots pressed against the lens.
Old 05-08-15, 05:21 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rumpletzer
For those interested in the $7 (shipped) option, I can confirm that these fit in the same manner as shown above:
Snagged these.

Thanks for finding them!
Old 05-08-15, 08:20 AM
typocl
Instructor

If you want something that doesn't use a board, you can search ebay for 28mm festoon

you'll find 6 and 12 LED festoon options. But they're about the same brightness as the 6 LED ones use a different and larger LED
Old 05-08-15, 08:24 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Thanks for sharing that. The difference is night and day.
Old 05-08-15, 06:24 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
If you want something that doesn't use a board, you can search ebay for 28mm festoon
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-17-15, 08:04 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Typocl. Ten minutes and the difference is unreal!! Nice job and thanks!!
Old 05-17-15, 09:13 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rumpletzer

The ones that I bought have 12 LEDs, but the board size is the same as the 6 LED option shown in the OP so it fits into the lens fixture in the same way.

The LED boards that I bought included three plug options, so I was also able to fit them into the vanity light (sun visor light), but the LEDs are not attractive when pressed against the lens. In the cargo area, they're not up against your face and I don't mind the 12 bright spots pressed against the lens.
If you go to the compatibilty list it says:

This part is not compatible with 2015 Lexus NX200t Base Sport Utility 4-Door 2.0L 1998CC l4 GAS DOHC Turbocharged.

What's up?
Old 05-17-15, 10:48 AM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by rogerh00

This part is not compatible with 2015 Lexus NX200t Base Sport Utility 4-Door 2.0L 1998CC l4 GAS DOHC Turbocharged.

What's up?
That ebay info is wildly inaccurate in regards to compatibility. I would take the advice of the user who purchased it and installed it as a better statement of compatibility.

Or, you can search for "28mm LED festoon", those will work as well.

Besides, it's only $6.64 out of pocket if it doesn't fit, which I would say it should. It might be a tight fit for the adapter like I mentioned in my first post as this is a 31mm adapter. 28mm is a better fit.

Wonderful upgrade to the cargo lights.
Old 05-17-15, 01:11 PM
rumpletzer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
That ebay info is wildly inaccurate in regards to compatibility. I would take the advice of the user who purchased it and installed it as a better statement of compatibility.

Or, you can search for "28mm LED festoon", those will work as well.

Besides, it's only $6.64 out of pocket if it doesn't fit, which I would say it should. It might be a tight fit for the adapter like I mentioned in my first post as this is a 31mm adapter. 28mm is a better fit.

Wonderful upgrade to the cargo lights.
Compatibility based on ebay sellers would suggest that they know your intended use for the light. As an overhead console light, it won't work. As a vanity light, it'll fit but I'd be unhappy with the LEDs pressed against the lens. As a cargo light, I'm thrilled.

I will also agree that the 31mm festoon is a tight fit and 28mm would fit better.
Old 05-18-15, 06:33 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00

What's up?
The "compatibility list" on this EBay item is simply a list that the seller has manually entered into the EBay website. Any vehicle you search for that is not in that list will show the above error. As the list is clearly not comprehensive, I - like those above - would take the word of someone who has actually done it!

Want to go further? Message the EBay seller and tell him/her to add the NX to the list.

Quick Reply: Upgrade cargo lights with LED's