NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Driveability Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 08:09 AM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveability Concerns

Hello guys, I'm thinking about upgrading to an NX turbo from my current RAV4. I test drove one and it certainly feels faster than the RAV4 when you step on it from a higher speed, but I didn't like how it feels accelerating from a start.

Does anyone else have any other complaints about how the NX drives as far as the turbo or shifting goes?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-15, 08:45 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

What mode were you in? If you were in Norm or ECO try putting it in SPORT, there is a difference off the line with those 3 modes.

Phil
Old 04-10-15, 08:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you'll notice a large difference once you put it in sport. In Normal it drives like a dog...in eco it drive worse. In sport, its finally a nice consistent drive.
Old 04-10-15, 09:00 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, who has become a pretty conservative driver in my 50's, the ECO mode is perfect for me, but I'm now the kind of guy who watches the MPG in real-time as a kind of game.

Now, there was that one time that an Audi A4 and I raced for about 50 miles on I-24...
Old 04-10-15, 09:00 AM
GMReject
Driver School Candidate

I only drove it in normal mode since I don't want to have a new vehicle that only drives well if I have to push a button every time I get into it.
Old 04-10-15, 10:47 AM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GMReject
I only drove it in normal mode since I don't want to have a new vehicle that only drives well if I have to push a button every time I get into it.
You don't have push a button every time you get in the car, you set up your driving mode once and the car keeps that mode until you change it.
Old 04-10-15, 10:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Please tell me you're kidding...you don't change the mode because you have to move your hand 4" further from you shifter to hit a switch?
Old 04-10-15, 10:56 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Please tell me you're kidding...you don't change the mode because you have to move your hand 4" further from you shifter to hit a switch?
For once I'm actually on board with Swacer's in-your-face retort.
Old 04-10-15, 12:54 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtino
You don't have push a button every time you get in the car, you set up your driving mode once and the car keeps that mode until you change it.
Actually here in Canada, it does not keep the "Sport or Sport +" mode in memory once you shut the engine off. It only keeps the "Eco mode" if you've selected it.
You have to manually put it in Sport or Sport + mode when you want that....literally takes 1/10 of a second to do
Old 04-10-15, 01:02 PM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys, I'm thinking about upgrading to an NX turbo from my current RAV4. I test drove one and it certainly feels faster than the RAV4 when you step on it from a higher speed, but I didn't like how it feels accelerating from a start.

Does anyone else have any other complaints about how the NX drives as far as the turbo or shifting goes?

Thanks!
No concerns whatsoever. The power delivery is different from a V6 RX 350, but I like it much better. V6 delivered power evenly, NX has more of a turbo feel (I am talking Sport mode here), which obviously is the case, because it is a turbo engine.
Old 04-10-15, 06:04 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesttt
Actually here in Canada, it does not keep the "Sport or Sport +" mode in memory once you shut the engine off. It only keeps the "Eco mode" if you've selected it.
You have to manually put it in Sport or Sport + mode when you want that....literally takes 1/10 of a second to do
You can set the eco mode to off, so it defaults to normal mode. Sport and Sport+ has to be selected each time.
Old 04-10-15, 06:44 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pesttt
oh ok I thought it would keep whatever you selected, did you try to select all the settings and hit the memory button on the driver door? maybe that would somehow memorize all your settings? just wondering if that might help.

I always drive mine in ECO mode so I didn't have to hit the switch, either way hitting a switch is NOT a deal breaker for me, plus I think normal or even eco mode drives well (I have the NX 300h)
Old 04-10-15, 07:07 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm getting into the habit of switching to Sport mode when getting onto the highway. I like the smoothness of driving in Normal, but the faster gear changes when I want it are better for me getting onto the highway.
Old 04-10-15, 07:42 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
We came from a 2013 RAV4 LTD. I love the luxury and ride of the Lexus NX 300h compared to the RAV. The technology of the NX far exceeds what's in the RAV. Once you own a Lexus most cars will feel inferior.
If you want speed I'd suggest you buy a sports car, but I find the NX 300h acceptable. The 200t of course is even faster.
Like has been said if you want to jazz it up at times you can use "sport mode".
Old 04-10-15, 08:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Swacer / spcran4d:

We're not going to continue discouraging the OP's or anyone else's opinion on what suits them. If the OP does not want to be bothered into switching the Drive Select Mode, it's his choice so let's respect that.

To the OP, in my experience, the NX 200t's launch at start is soft at moderate to full throttle for the first second or so then really pulls you back thanks to the 258 lb/ft of torque. Throttle response and power build is better at speed and is the most sensitive in Sport (S / S+ options in Canada) over Normal, and more so over Eco.

My dad has a current gen Rav4 and it is the slightly roomier vehicle over the NX (especially the taller cargo), but the NX outshines it in the ride, NVH, power, and overall materials/refinement of course. Good luck in your decision!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-10-15 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveability Concerns