NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you like Lexus' new Remote Touch Interface (RTI) Touchpad?
Yes, with haptic feedback ENABLED.
28.57%
Yes, with haptic feedback DISABLED.
36.90%
Somewhat.
17.86%
No, it's a bad input device.
16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 01:30 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker

Also, with the NX you can twist the tune **** but it moves among the XM category, not your presets which I find odd. So if you are on a Comedy station it will take you to the next comedy station, not from your #8 preset to your #9 preset. I would prefer to be able to quickly twist up and down my preset list without having to go to the touch pad. Especially if I want to go from the first preset on page 2 to the last preset on page one. In that case I have to touchpad over the the page arrow, click, then touchpad to the preset I want. A few twists would be much quicker and safer I think. Any chance there is a setting for this?
You can use the arrow on the upper left of the steering wheel to navigate through your presets. It is a little different than what I am used too, but if you press the up arrow you go down a preset, so if you are on preset #4, you would go back to preset #3. The down arrow goes up in the preset count. It is just following the preset list on the screen. But you don't have to be on the Radio screen to use that button.

Phil
Old 04-10-15, 08:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker
I am baffled that there is no hard button to instantly go to Nav.

Agree. This is one button I wish existed as I did appreciate it in the RX. But as with you, the next best thing is having the Nav (half screen) set to my Home so at least it's fairly easily accessible via that button.
Old 04-10-15, 08:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

As to the original post, during the first few days of ownership, I was at "Somewhat" in terms of likeability since I found the haptic feedback zapping my finger at every selection and being a distraction. However, since discovering the removal of the haptic feedback, I like the input and voted as such.
Old 04-12-15, 01:02 PM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on moving between presets on the steering wheel...great info! I tend to forget about the steering wheel controls and have not played around with them much.

I've started the manual a few times at bedtime, but mostly its been a good sleeping pill.
Old 04-15-15, 01:35 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turning down the feedback helps. My problem is that I expected a significant improvement over the mouse/toggle. My wife and I both think it's a little worse.
I'm a bit disappointed. I insisted that she get a car with a built-in navigation system, and now she hardly uses it.
Old 04-16-15, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by joeyb
Turning down the feedback helps. My problem is that I expected a significant improvement over the mouse/toggle. My wife and I both think it's a little worse.
I'm a bit disappointed. I insisted that she get a car with a built-in navigation system, and now she hardly uses it.

If you give it a chance to use the RTI for even the everyday basic controls like switching radio stations, you'll more quickly adapt to and enjoy the control.
Old 04-16-15, 06:21 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

one quick thing you can do with the touchpad is pinch and zoom for the map...ok, it's not a huge thing, but it's something...
Old 04-16-15, 06:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by typocl
one quick thing you can do with the touchpad is pinch and zoom for the map...ok, it's not a huge thing, but it's something...
Good point and that's part of the learning curve. I find I'm getting better at that. to the point where I perform that action versus navigating to and clicking the + - on the screen.
Old 04-17-15, 05:42 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most useful thing I have found is the two finger scroll for scrolling through my iPhone music and other lists. I am also embarrassed to say it took me about two months to notice this feature.
Old 04-19-15, 09:29 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DenM54
The most useful thing I have found is the two finger scroll for scrolling through my iPhone music and other lists. I am also embarrassed to say it took me about two months to notice this feature.
One thing to clarify on the iPhone scrolling that took me a bit to find out. It looks like there is a difference with jumping to letters in the alphabet if you are using the iPhone hardwired into the system vs. Bluetooth.

With BT you can still scroll through lists like artist, song, etc. When you are hardwired in, the list shows 'jump to' letters so you can get farther down the list by clicking on the letter clusters in the right of the screen. So if you want to jump the letter 'T' for example, it's much quicker to do that when hardwired than BT since you just click on the letters to jump to that part of the alphabet. Much easier!
Old 04-19-15, 11:20 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's what AutoGuide had to say, ...."The RTI system in the NX uses a touchpad in the center console similar to what you would find on a laptop computer. It’s as precise to use as a rocket launcher is for ice sculpting. In my opinion, RTI is one of the least user-friendly interfaces on the market."......
Old 07-22-15, 04:23 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thread revival. Let's see what some of the newer owners think.
Old 07-22-15, 05:03 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it, frankly. It took me all of about a day to get the hang of it, and I was good to go. Honestly though, we don't use it a ton during normal driving conditions. Radio station switching duties are handled by the steering wheel controls, but when I do have to use it, I find no problems with it. For me, it's not just like using a mousepad on a laptop, but close. When I had a loaner RX, it had the older style and after using the new RTI first, I surely didn't like the RX's.

I score it 8/10. To heck with the article reviews. I think it's something that grows on you after using it for a while. Again, for me, that was a day, others a week or month...but it does get better with use.
Old 07-22-15, 05:10 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Coming from an Acura, there is a learning curve to understand how to use the Lexus interface. Maybe I will eventually get the hang of it but for right now... I hate it. Takes too long to do anything. I just wish car manufacturers put more effort into this area. Why can't they have touch screen or better smartphone integration so one can type/input an address quickly? I guess I am just used to the user friendly interface of my smartphone and wish my car was as user friendly to use as well. Btw, I shut the Haptic feed-back off. All that buzzing was annoying.
Old 07-22-15, 05:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Coming from an Acura, there is a learning curve to understand how to use the Lexus interface. Maybe I will eventually get the hang of it but for right now... I hate it. Takes too long to do anything. I just wish car manufacturers put more effort into this area. Why can't they have touch screen or better smartphone integration so one can type/input an address quickly? I guess I am just used to the user friendly interface of my smartphone and wish my car was as user friendly to use as well. Btw, I shut the Haptic feed-back off. All that buzzing was annoying.
Finger prints? Main reason is for safety and ergonomics purposes, Lexus chose to place the display as close to the driver's line of site which in fact places it furthest away from arm's reach, hence the "Remote Touch" controls IN arm's reach.

If this works smoothly and accurately, motion-sensing will be the next gen input control manufacturers will want to copy. BMW's upcoming 7-series will have it.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-22-15 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?