NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you like Lexus' new Remote Touch Interface (RTI) Touchpad?
Yes, with haptic feedback ENABLED.
28.57%
Yes, with haptic feedback DISABLED.
36.90%
Somewhat.
17.86%
No, it's a bad input device.
16.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Question Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?

As owners of the NX, how do you like Lexus' new Remote Touch Interface (RTI) Touchpad as an input device? Vote and comment!

Old 04-08-15, 06:48 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my NX 300h for 2 weeks and I really like the touchpad, maybe because I'm used to Apple computers and they have kind of the same interface per say. I really like it. I tried the joystick that some other Lexus have and I find the joystick harder to use.
Old 04-08-15, 06:59 PM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

It takes some getting used to, but when you do, it's a pretty good novelty. Don't think anyone else out there has it; it also keeps a slimmer profile in the car.

One things I haven't tried, but am curious about is response when hands are wet. I'm guessing it won't work altogether if wearing gloves, but that's what a wheel warmer is for
Old 04-08-15, 07:10 PM
drifter123
Rookie

Seems to work fine at stand still but I haven’t road tested it. I like the haptic feedback on full and the pinch to zoom function in gps mode.

Last edited by drifter123; 04-08-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 08:27 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Very distracting while driving. But I'm getting used to it.
Old 04-08-15, 09:37 PM
caruhgah
Driver School Candidate

I don't use it while driving. I have also disabled the haptic feedback which makes it definitely more bearable. That all being said I think I've still got to get use to it, so perhaps in another month I may be of a different mind.
Old 04-09-15, 03:26 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love it! I'm an Apple guy too and just set it on the lightest setting. Once I realized just a light double tap is all you need to select it was awesome.
Old 04-09-15, 03:58 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Find it easier to use than the Remote Touch joystick on our RX.

Overall it's pretty decent, it does have a little bit of a learning curve in terms of adjusting to its sensitivity. Just wish it had English character support; I don't understand why it wasn't incorporated when it makes so much sense on the trackpad.
Old 04-09-15, 04:09 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

RTI was one of the major reasons I did not buy. It's better than the joystick, but IMO still the worst input method I test drove.
Old 04-09-15, 04:12 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care for the touch pad. I prefer the joystick on the RX but you don't have to use it much - most operations can be done through steering wheel or voice command.
Old 04-09-15, 06:27 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I'm used to it by now.
Old 04-09-15, 04:19 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

So far I hate it. It's too sensitive It moves with my finger not even touching sometimes. It is really a safety issue for me because it makes me take my eyes off the road too long.

It took me awhile to get used to the RX "joystick" but I could operate it without looking away from road much. I much prefer the joystick to this touchpad.
Old 04-09-15, 04:44 PM
ClaudeNX
Rookie

Default touchpad

got my NX today, and really enjoy the touchpad, but I am an all Apple person, so used to touchpad

No problem at all, yet, we will see in the future, but being a Lexus it should be problem free
Old 04-10-15, 04:51 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I responded somewhat, though I really appreciate the advice to turn off haptic feedback. That has helped a lot...much more that I thought it would.

I guess I am still getting use to it. My Honda Ody has 2 screens which I have found I miss in the NX. It makes it much easier to move among media presets as the lower screen input is a touch screen. It has a ****/joystick similar to BMW and I find I can do a lot of things with a quick spin by and glance. With the touch pad it takes more distracting focus on the screen, at least so far.

Also, with the NX you can twist the tune **** but it moves among the XM category, not your presets which I find odd. So if you are on a Comedy station it will take you to the next comedy station, not from your #8 preset to your #9 preset. I would prefer to be able to quickly twist up and down my preset list without having to go to the touch pad. Especially if I want to go from the first preset on page 2 to the last preset on page one. In that case I have to touchpad over the the page arrow, click, then touchpad to the preset I want. A few twists would be much quicker and safer I think. Any chance there is a setting for this?

I am baffled that there is no hard button to instantly go to Nav. There is one for Radio and one for Media but none for Nav? I have to hit the Home button and then touch pad and click on the Nav section of the display (I have a 3 section home page). I may already be wondering where I am and where I want to turn, I don't need to be looking over and managing a multistep process to get the map up. Just a push button would be nice.

Speaking of inputs though I love the **** for the Eco/Standard/Sport driving modes. At first I wondered why they made that control so prominent, but I find I use it almost every drive. At a light waiting to turn left?...twist over to Sport for quick throttle response, lolling along in cruise control?...quick flip to Eco mode to smooth out the throttle response for gradual hills. Nice back road with some twisties?... Sport mode. Quick push back to Normal whenever.

Last edited by athiker; 04-10-15 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 01:16 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

to move around presets, you can change the display on the console to the Media screen and use the buttons on the steering wheel to move between presets. Actually, maybe you can move between presets even if the screen isn't on the media screen.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Interface Touchpad - Yay or Nay?