NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation-Traffic Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 11:07 PM
thedwp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation-Traffic Question

I just came over from a 2013 GS350... I'm just starting to dig in to the new nav system on the NX. On the older systems, in order to get traffic info I had to subscribe to the Sirius XM traffic subscription. I called Sirius up to transfer my subscription to my new NX...she tells me that the nav system wasn't compatible with their service.

I read through the Nav manual and all I could gather was that there could be traffic info through an HD radio sig or using the lexus app suite. What if there's no traffic info via an HD sig?

can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 04-07-15, 07:05 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

If no valid HD radio signal broadcasting traffic, then no traffic on your NAV system, that is how it is, no way around it.

So, it means you won't get that unless you are near a pretty major city in most cases as well. Though that seems to hold true for me as well on my portable TOM TOM NAV system as well that has traffic via the radio signal.
Old 04-07-15, 07:09 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

The app suite can act as a backup for the traffic information in case your not getting a HD radio signal.
Old 04-07-15, 09:10 AM
thedwp
Rookie

Originally Posted by offroad200
The app suite can act as a backup for the traffic information in case your not getting a HD radio signal.
Any idea how it does that? I don't see google maps, or any other map/nav settings in the app suite.
Old 04-07-15, 09:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by thedwp
Any idea how it does that? I don't see google maps, or any other map/nav settings in the app suite.
In your navigation system:

Menu>
Data Services Settings>
Enable Data Download via>
HD & Mobile

Edit: I should add, this is how it is on my IS. Given the NX uses the same nav, I assume the commands are the same.

Last edited by JDR76; 04-07-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-07-15, 10:16 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct. the NAV TRAFFIC requires NO SUBSRIPTION!

Old 04-07-15, 10:24 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by thedwp
It just uses your phone's data through the app suite connection to pull traffic info. You won't see a map or anything in the app.
Old 04-07-15, 10:34 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Edit: I should add, this is how it is on my IS. Given the NX uses the same nav, I assume the commands are the same.
It is the same, and uses cellular data to achieve the same result. Note that if you're on a very limited data plan this can be a concern!
Old 04-07-15, 12:23 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
It is the same, and uses cellular data to achieve the same result. Note that if you're on a very limited data plan this can be a concern!
To add to this, and after having done some research.
For US market, Traffic information is taken from HD Radio Traffic data sub stream if and when available and will resort to cellular data for models with Enform. Notice the image posted above shows the HD Radio logo on the traffic icon (3 little cars)

For Canada, there is no Enform, nor has Lexus Canada enabled HD Radio traffic data sub stream. They have enabled HD Radio Audio channels and RDS sub streams only. We are out of luck for traffic data all together.

There are HD Radio stations in Montreal, Hamilton (GTA) and Vancouver (GVR) that transmit traffic data, but I am assuming Toyota / Lexus Canada has decided not to enable this across the board to reduce the complaints from owners outside those markets. Those stations operate on an experimental license from the CRTC as HD Radio is not an officially sanctioned broadcast format yet. Not that it should have stopped Toyota / Lexus from enabling it, as other car makers have done so and so have some of the GPS makers.

Last edited by My0gr81; 04-07-15 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 05:31 PM
thedwp
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
In your navigation system:

Menu>
Data Services Settings>
Enable Data Download via>
HD & Mobile

awesome...thanks for the info!
Old 04-07-15, 09:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the HD traffic information gives much more information then what the NAV gave me in my 2005 and 2010 RX subscribed satellite traffic app ever gave me. Like was said not all areas are covered however especially rural areas.
Old 04-07-15, 10:29 PM
thedwp
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4482
I find the HD traffic information gives much more information then what the NAV gave me in my 2005 and 2010 RX subscribed satellite traffic app ever gave me. Like was said not all areas are covered however especially rural areas.
I've noticed some different notifications using the HD sig. My guess is the areas where we need traffic info will have the HD sigs.
Old 05-20-16, 01:29 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
For US market, Traffic information is taken from HD Radio Traffic data sub stream if and when available and will resort to cellular data for models with Enform. Notice the image posted above shows the HD Radio logo on the traffic icon (3 little cars)

For Canada, there is no Enform, nor has Lexus Canada enabled HD Radio traffic data sub stream. They have enabled HD Radio Audio channels and RDS sub streams only. We are out of luck for traffic data all together.

There are HD Radio stations in Montreal, Hamilton (GTA) and Vancouver (GVR) that transmit traffic data, but I am assuming Toyota / Lexus Canada has decided not to enable this across the board to reduce the complaints from owners outside those markets. Those stations operate on an experimental license from the CRTC as HD Radio is not an officially sanctioned broadcast format yet. Not that it should have stopped Toyota / Lexus from enabling it, as other car makers have done so and so have some of the GPS makers.
Thanks for the info, I could not understand why I was not seeing the menu options for Traffic! Is there a way to enable it for whan I use the car in the US? Thanks!
Old 05-21-16, 09:20 AM
Earman
Pit Crew

I am wondering if anyone has tried to put a USA purchased NAV SD card in a Canadian car to see if the traffic is unlocked that way? Would that be a possibility that it would work or no chance? Thanks!
Old 05-21-16, 12:12 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by My0gr81

I just found from a Lexus dealer that the traffic does not work on the Canadian NX but it DOES work on the Canadian RX!!! There is something really wrong here!

Correction: It works on the previous model of the RX, not on the new one.

Last edited by Earman; 05-23-16 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added information

Quick Reply: Navigation-Traffic Question