NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 09:09 AM
thedwp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Regrets?

Hey guys...just popping over from the GS board. Thinking about making a switch to the NX. I've watched a ton of Youtube reviews, most sound pretty positive...being the first to the dance, has anyone had any regrets (even slight) with their NX?

I've read about some of the potential noise issues at higher speeds and some other various 'potential' issues. But in terms of overall performance and functionality, how's it going so far?

thanks!
Old 04-04-15, 11:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Is it perfect, no, but it's close!

The issues are few and very minor.
- bottom door seal allows snow accumulation at the bottom of the door.
- some owners reported reboot/lockup of the infotainment. But issue occurrence or owner reported incidents has decreased recently.
- some wind buffeting noise around the driver's door/mirror.
- slight rough idle at 750-800 rpm specifically below freezing temps and when the HVAC is on (but myself only reported this so far and idle is smooth once engine hits normal operating temps)
- stiff bottom-seat bolsters as reported by some F Sport owners (including myself). But, the seat has softened a little and I've also adjusted my seating position such that I'm not pressing against the sides as much as I used to.

Pointing these out for perspective on the extent of "issues" reported which is a testament of the quality of this brand-new model AND engine.

Positives...
So many to list which I have in the RX comparison review, including some nuances which I won't relist ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html ).

In short, after 3+ months of ownership including through winter, superb:

- Build quality (tight, rattle-free ride)
- Ergonomics (HVAC controls, RTI with haptic off, secondary button access). Exceptions: hard to reach Memory seat buttons and Odometer/trip button.
- Ride comfort and handling for its compact size.
- Ingress/egress with exception of taller folks entering the rear is a little trickier (need to duck to avoid hitting their head)
- Engine smoothness and power with the Turbo boost engaged.
- Interior leg room no issues for my 10 and 11 year olds.
- Usable cargo space thanks to its large floor allows for plenty of grocery bins and bags. The cargo net is super convenient to keep in place groceries or loose items.
- Good fuel economy for a 4000lb SUV. Getting about the same as my IS 250 AWD.
- Tech works intuitively and flawlessly thus far. BSM/RCTA, DRRC, pre-collision, LDW/LKA, Qi wireless charger, and so on.
- Snow traction.
- Engine, seats, heater, and steering wheel warm up is quickest I have ever experienced among 20+ vehicles owned.

Overall, it's the best of both worlds. Excellent compact city size while still an excellent roomy and smooth family (of four) road trip Hwy cruiser. And as a bonus, it's stunning to look at and a head turner!

Regrets, hell no! It's everything I expected and a little more.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-04-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 12:05 PM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets. I looked for 2 years for a the "right" vehicle for me. It became a running joke looking at cars. I drove all kinds of CUVs, SUVs and even some sedans. I have active kids and a pretty large dog but our other vehicle is a minivan so didn't need another family hauler. I wanted something just big enough to bring the dog for walks during soccer practices, some style and performance, decent mpg, AWD preferred and quality reputation. When I came across the NX early this year it ticked pretty much all of the boxes.

The wife likes it as well which is a bonus. She really liked the X3 but my best friend has had 2 X5s and long-term the repairs have been brutal so scared me off a bit. Almost as much as the cost I just don't want to spend my limited time dealing with putting a car in and out of the shop. I feel the NX is a trade-off of a slight driving performance give-up for an small comfort boost vs the X3 with the bonus of better expected long-term quality. Initial cost for similarly equipped was going to be higher for the X3 as well.

I have really enjoyed my month with the car. Its not a hot rod but it has all the power I need. I enjoy Sport mode, its a noticeable difference in throttle response and keeping the gearing so power is there on demand if asked. Standard is fine and Eco is, well...its Eco...sluggish feeling as expected. I pretty much only use it if I am relaxing in cruise control to smooth out the response to the ups and downs a bit.

No wind issues for me but the NX is replacing a 16 year old Isuzu Trooper, a great vehicle for us, but no longer the quietest driving experience. I think the NX is probably quieter than our 2015 Honda Ody though as well. I love the comfort of the seats, front and back, and the most pleasant unexpected feature has been the ventilated seats with 3 speed fan control. One note is the "jump height" for the dog into the hatchback area is a little high. The space for him is not overly big without the rear seats down either but he fits okay.

Only 2 worries. The Nav has frozen up a couple times. I'm in no rush to take it in yet as I don't use it for long trips very often. I'm expecting Lexus to get the fix right and then I will take it in. The other is the longevity of the "new" to Lexus 4 banger turbo...hoping Lexus quality prevails there b/c I plan to keep this vehicle a long time.