NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 nx

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 10:47 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
This is just a guess but I have a feeling the 2016 model will come out after the RX. Also, I wouldn;t expect any major changes from the 15 to 16. The only changes may be if they detected inefficiencies that need correcting. For example it is possible they may have an updated software release for the nav system since some have reported freezing in the current version. If a particular sensor, screw, shock, or other part seemed to have inefficiencies they may correct that too.

Part of the updates is based on sales cycles. Those who are leasing a 2015 NX will typically have a 24 to 36 month lease. Car companies like to refresh / redesign vehicles so that the returning leasees have something new to lease. I would guess there may be some minor changes for the 2017 model. It may be as simple as the Executive trim, HUD, Pano roof, or other features not in North America yet.

The reason I am seriously looking at the NX over Acura RDX is because Acura made 0 changes between the 2013 and 2015 RDX. The 2013 Accord and recently released CRV have features not even available in the RDX until the 2016 model year that will be released in the next month. Being overly conservative like that will allow a segment of buyers to go to the competition. Acura was trying to not cannibalize sales from the MDX and TLX but those who didn't want those vehicles were easily able to go to a Jeep Cherokee, Ford Escape, Lincoln MKC, and now Lexus NX with all the features Acura was slow to implement in the RDX.
I cross shopped the RDX as well and was tempted to wait for the 2016 model. But I've heard too many bad things about the 9 speed transmission. The local dealer was offering great discounts on the 2015. Ended up ultimately with a new NX.
Old 04-02-15, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by drifter123
Hi guys, I’m looking at the 2015 NX 200t F sport. After a test drive I feel in love but with one catch. I’m not fond of the track pad controller on the infotainment center. I just saw pictures and a video of the new 2016 RX and notice that it does not have the track pad, it uses a joy stick type controller. I’m thinking the more expensive redesigned RX would certainly have the track pad if it were superior to the joy stick. So I plan on waiting for the 2016 NX now to see if Lexus changes the controller.
Who said it was superior?

It was discussed months ago, RX is a legacy model and will continue with the Mouse-like controller. The RTI track pad will be used on models perceived as "younger" (demographic) like the RC like the NX. That's not to say they won't adapt when change is needed
Old 04-02-15, 11:31 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
I cross shopped the RDX as well and was tempted to wait for the 2016 model. But I've heard too many bad things about the 9 speed transmission. The local dealer was offering great discounts on the 2015. Ended up ultimately with a new NX.
the 9 speed was never confirmed for the RDX from the press releases. They were very vague about it (true Acura fashion). Another reason to look seriously at the NX because Lexus is not trying to hide info.
Old 04-02-15, 11:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

the 9 speed was never confirmed for the RDX from the press releases. They were very vague about it (true Acura fashion). Another reason to look seriously at the NX because Lexus is not trying to hide info.
I don't know if Acura is trying to hide info or not, but Toyota/Lexus is among the best at keeping things under wraps until they are ready to release details. The recent reveal of the NX is a good example. Not a bad strategy IMO.
Old 04-02-15, 03:05 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Ironically, there's an article on Yahoo that was titled "2016 NX: First Look"

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/ss/2016-...906487120.html

Obviously, they meant to put RX in the title.
Old 05-30-15, 02:57 AM
cricketNX
Driver School Candidate

Hello! I know this thread was started a while ago, but I just ordered an NX this week, and the inventory guy building it said that because of the timing it could either be a 2015 or 2016 (due for delivery up to 4 months from now so that would be Sept/Oct). He also said he didn't know of any changes/upgrades to the new model year & there shouldn't be any difference in the two. I had also asked about the redesigned RX and he said he thought they wouldn't be out until later in the year Nov-ish.
Old 05-30-15, 12:35 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cricketNX
Hello! I know this thread was started a while ago, but I just ordered an NX this week, and the inventory guy building it said that because of the timing it could either be a 2015 or 2016 (due for delivery up to 4 months from now so that would be Sept/Oct). He also said he didn't know of any changes/upgrades to the new model year & there shouldn't be any difference in the two. I had also asked about the redesigned RX and he said he thought they wouldn't be out until later in the year Nov-ish.
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I've decided to wait for the 2016 NX, assuming that the Lexus Safety System+ package would be offered. It's been announced for the 2016 RX and ES.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/03/...ystem-package/

http://testdriven.tv/2015/05/first-l.../#.VWoOeU3bLIU

Some of the safety options are already offered/available on the NX, but some are new (e.g., Pedestrian Pre-collision). The package is supposed to be offered at a lower-cost than the current pre-collision option alone. I'm assuming that they'll probably increase the base price.

Seems however that dealers are eager to offer deals for the 2015s (prices below invoice). So sometimes my resolve to wait six or seven months more weakens. Add on to that that my credit union car loan rates just went down to a very tempting rate. Even my usually very vocal husband has been quiet and confused as to what to do.

Last edited by brendaman; 05-30-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 05:45 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I am not expecting much in changes for the 2016 NX. The RX and ES are the 2 big selling vehicles for Lexus. They will probably get the new features with the NX getting the new stuff for 2017.

The RX and the ES are the 2 vehicles aimed at families while the IS and NX are aimed at the younger audience or those looking for a sportier fun vehicle.

If you look at how Acura handled the RDX they did no changes for 3 model years because they didn't want to cannibalize sales from the MDX.
Old 06-02-15, 01:33 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not expecting much in changes for the 2016 NX. The RX and ES are the 2 big selling vehicles for Lexus. They will probably get the new features with the NX getting the new stuff for 2017.

The RX and the ES are the 2 vehicles aimed at families while the IS and NX are aimed at the younger audience or those looking for a sportier fun vehicle.

If you look at how Acura handled the RDX they did no changes for 3 model years because they didn't want to cannibalize sales from the MDX.
I agree.

In a way, I like the fact that Lexus is producing the NX with more features for other markets. It means that they can add those features for the N.A. market at anytime. Doesn't take a big production change. I just wished they put in those features from the very start.