NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:13 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You've made some big assumptions here. I see the great value in both cars and at near equal prices, I haven't chosen the best option.

I am actually more in favor of the NX for the exact reasons mr2 listed above, but I want to do a full review of options before committing.
The only thing I can say is this...I had my experience with Acura back in 2002-2003 and was one of those people who purchased the new TL Type S...the model that had so many transmission failures. There were over 26,000 transmission failures that year for Honda/Acura. It eventually made national news, and there was even a wrongful death lawsuit against them that they lost. There were reports that the numbers were even higher, but Honda was trying to downplay it.

My personal experience was that the transmission was replaced under warranty...and that one failed within 2 weeks in the middle of rush hour traffic. The icing on the cake was the degrading treatment from the Honda Southeast Rep who insisted that I did not know how to drive and that his Grandmother loves her TL.

The main problem was in the transmissions overheating...and that was because of the bad alloys in the transmission. There was already a stop-order recently on the new TLX with this 9 speed transmission because of issues. Google it, if you are not already aware.

I understand your dilemma...I like the MDX too, and even thought of going back there. Then I read about the new TLX transmission problems and that made me remember and I closed the book on the MDX idea.
Old 04-02-15, 04:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
The only thing I can say is this...I had my experience with Acura back in 2002-2003 and was one of those people who purchased the new TL Type S...the model that had so many transmission failures. There were over 26,000 transmission failures that year for Honda/Acura. It eventually made national news, and there was even a wrongful death lawsuit against them that they lost. There were reports that the numbers were even higher, but Honda was trying to downplay it.

My personal experience was that the transmission was replaced under warranty...and that one failed within 2 weeks in the middle of rush hour traffic. The icing on the cake was the degrading treatment from the Honda Southeast Rep who insisted that I did not know how to drive and that his Grandmother loves her TL.

The main problem was in the transmissions overheating...and that was because of the bad alloys in the transmission. There was already a stop-order recently on the new TLX with this 9 speed transmission because of issues. Google it, if you are not already aware.

I understand your dilemma...I like the MDX too, and even thought of going back there. Then I read about the new TLX transmission problems and that made me remember and I closed the book on the MDX idea.
The 9 speed is a ZF tranny and I think someone mentioned it previously that it was giving jeep and Chrysler issues as well. This is my main concern with the mdx. I forgot the TLX shared the same tranny. I'll take a look at that. Thank you for bringing that up
Old 04-02-15, 04:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Found this gem. But doesn't appear to apply to the mdx.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a24463/acura-halting-sales-of-push-button-transmission-tlx/

However, I don't see anything else in a quick search. And the TLX issue doesn't detail the MDX. Hmm

Mods, I appreciate you allowing this conversation to continue as I work on a final solution.

Last edited by Swacer; 04-02-15 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:14 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Buyers remorse? Stick with your first decision, It's usually always the best one.

I'm loving our NX, but we're empty nesters.
Old 04-02-15, 07:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Mods, I appreciate you allowing this conversation to continue as I work on a final solution.
No issues, the conversation remains polite and within the topic of discussion.
Old 04-02-15, 07:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Both of our cars have ZF transmissions and are smooth as butter and problem free so far. They both are 8 speed though.
Old 04-02-15, 07:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Buyers remorse? Stick with your first decision, It's usually always the best one.

I'm loving our NX, but we're empty nesters.
Buyers remorse can't happen till I actually own one haha

And first decision was made since I didn't think the other option was viable at the time. It is now though, so mixes things up.

Have a month to decide before the NX arrives.
Old 04-02-15, 07:21 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both of our cars have ZF transmissions and are smooth as butter and problem free so far. They both are 8 speed though.
That's good to hear. I was honestly surprised that ZF was having such issues. I had understood them to be a quality company
Old 04-02-15, 07:27 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good to hear. I was honestly surprised that ZF was having such issues. I had understood them to be a quality company
It was ZF. It's the pairing to the Chrysler Pentastar V6 engine. They couldn't get the programming right.
Old 04-02-15, 07:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sick21
It was ZF. It's the pairing to the Chrysler Pentastar V6 engine. They couldn't get the programming right.
So the issue doesn't apply to the acura then?
Old 04-02-15, 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'm 27 right now, so I'm at that weird age where I can still buy something that works for us now and with a kid (or 2) planning 6-8 yrs out and be tight in the csr (NX) OR I can buy bigger now and have the space, and if we only have 1 kid, my car is a bit big for what we need it for.

I want to make a choice such that I have the future covered. Becuase I'm not swapping cars later because of ill planning. My plan is a GT-R in 6 yrs. Not another family car lol
This I can help you with, I'm a few years older than you but we just had our first kids (twins...yikes!) and was in a very similar situation to you.

If you are still 6-8 years out for a kid (not sure if thats what you meant), and you're sure about that, I would go ahead and get what you want now, and wait to buy the family car down the line when you do choose to have a kid. Safety and convenience innovations are happening so fast, when you do have a kid you're going to want a new vehicle with all the latest safety and kid friendly conveniences.

I went through this exact same debate in May when we got our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep is what I really wanted, but I also looked at the MDX, QX60, Explorer, etc anticipating the need for more space and 3 rows when we did have a kid, planning on that happening a couple years down the line. Ultimately I choose the Jeep figuring with one kid it would be fine, and if we decided to have two it would be a couple years after that and we could get rid of the Jeep for something bigger.

Well, nature laughed at that and my wife got pregnant with twins about 2 weeks after getting the Jeep. The Jeep is okay with both, but I wish I'd gotten something with three rows now...but how was I supposed to anticipate spontaneous twins?

The Jeep I had before though, I'm VERY happy I got to enjoy that vehicle without kids. So, if the desire to get the MDX is out of anticipation of some future need, I'd get the NX.

I will also say though, theres no such thing as a car thats "too big" when you have a kid.
Old 04-02-15, 08:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This I can help you with, I'm a few years older than you but we just had our first kids (twins...yikes!) and was in a very similar situation to you.

If you are still 6-8 years out for a kid (not sure if thats what you meant), and you're sure about that, I would go ahead and get what you want now, and wait to buy the family car down the line when you do choose to have a kid. Safety and convenience innovations are happening so fast, when you do have a kid you're going to want a new vehicle with all the latest safety and kid friendly conveniences.

I went through this exact same debate in May when we got our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Jeep is what I really wanted, but I also looked at the MDX, QX60, Explorer, etc anticipating the need for more space and 3 rows when we did have a kid, planning on that happening a couple years down the line. Ultimately I choose the Jeep figuring with one kid it would be fine, and if we decided to have two it would be a couple years after that and we could get rid of the Jeep for something bigger.

Well, nature laughed at that and my wife got pregnant with twins about 2 weeks after getting the Jeep. The Jeep is okay with both, but I wish I'd gotten something with three rows now...but how was I supposed to anticipate spontaneous twins?

The Jeep I had before though, I'm VERY happy I got to enjoy that vehicle without kids. So, if the desire to get the MDX is out of anticipation of some future need, I'd get the NX.

I will also say though, theres no such thing as a car thats "too big" when you have a kid.
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it. We are probably 2 yrs from a first kid. When I say 6-8 yrs, I mean the car is paid off, 2nd kid is either planned or already here. Essentially, all life choices have now been made. I just dont want to have to swap cars at that point. I want the decision now to cover the future. Though the future can be so unpredictable....lol
Old 04-02-15, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it. We are probably 2 yrs from a first kid. When I say 6-8 yrs, I mean the car is paid off, 2nd kid is either planned or already here. Essentially, all life choices have now been made. I just dont want to have to swap cars at that point. I want the decision now to cover the future. Though the future can be so unpredictable....lol
You will drive yourself nuts trying to make all the decisions you make today fit future circumstances.

I also can tell you, that these last couple years before you have kids are going to wind up being very special to you. You should live your life, take trips, buy what you want, drive what you want. Eat out. Thats a big one. You have a LOT of life ahead of you to drive family cars, have staycations. Your life is certainly not over when you have a kid, but it is obviously VERY different. Not in a bad way, but different.

If you really want the MDX thats one thing, but if theres a time in your life that you can buy and enjoy a fun vehicle like an NX, or an IS, or whatever...its now. Maybe lease it? Then you'll be protected from poor resale and can make a decision in 2.5 years or so whether it fits your needs or you want to get something bigger.

Lets just put it this way, I've never wanted a coupe...I've always been a sedan guy. No coincidence that the RC and RC-F came out after my wife became pregnant with twins...and they were the first coupes I ever really was attracted to. Too late!

Essentially, all life choices have now been made.
HAHAHAHA! Trust me buddy, you ain't made any concrete decisions yet

We had decided to have one kid, 2-3 years from now (not in any hurry). Now here I am, 7 week old twins. As soon as you say "This is how its going to be" the universe gets a good laugh LOL
Old 04-02-15, 12:03 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You will drive yourself nuts trying to make all the decisions you make today fit future circumstances.

I also can tell you, that these last couple years before you have kids are going to wind up being very special to you. You should live your life, take trips, buy what you want, drive what you want. Eat out. Thats a big one. You have a LOT of life ahead of you to drive family cars, have staycations. Your life is certainly not over when you have a kid, but it is obviously VERY different. Not in a bad way, but different.

If you really want the MDX thats one thing, but if theres a time in your life that you can buy and enjoy a fun vehicle like an NX, or an IS, or whatever...its now. Maybe lease it? Then you'll be protected from poor resale and can make a decision in 2.5 years or so whether it fits your needs or you want to get something bigger.

Lets just put it this way, I've never wanted a coupe...I've always been a sedan guy. No coincidence that the RC and RC-F came out after my wife became pregnant with twins...and they were the first coupes I ever really was attracted to. Too late!

HAHAHAHA! Trust me buddy, you ain't made any concrete decisions yet

We had decided to have one kid, 2-3 years from now (not in any hurry). Now here I am, 7 week old twins. As soon as you say "This is how its going to be" the universe gets a good laugh LOL
Completely agree!!! EAT OUT! GO TO MOVIES! Drive fun cars NOW that you are passionate about. Because once you are in the middle of kids, you will have different priorities. I have three kids- 10, 7, and 4. And while I love them more than anything, I would much rather be driving an RC F, but because I take my kids and dog around regularly, the RX suited my needs better. Now I need to wait a long time to get the sports car I want.
Old 04-02-15, 12:09 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kind of off topic, but a funny story. I am a doc in the AF, and one of my co-workers had been diagnosed and treated for leukemia (at age 36). He was in remission, but because of the radiation and chemo he had, everyone basically said he was probably infertile. He probably should have confirmed it, but the first month his wife went off birth control, she got pregnant....with twin girls. Oh, and at that time, he already had two sons, aged 18 and 16. So, as I posted above, get what you love now, because you never know what will happen in even 6 months. I like the lease idea. The NX is plenty big for even two kids all the way through middle school, so I don't think it will be a risk

Quick Reply: Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX