Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 03:24 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX

All

I wanted to start a thread to get some feelings between a 2015 NX Fsport and a 2016 Acura MDX.

I had my heart set on the NX (obviously as I ordered one lol). But this past week I had the chance to drive a 2016 MDX and now I'm conflicted.

Let's take one comment out of the debate rigjt away. I know the MDX and NX are not the Apples to apples comparison size wise. But price wise, they are within $5k. So...

I found that I enjoyed the 3.5L v6, which had a smooth torque curve and more than enough power for get it moving quickly. The interior was VERY spacious with very nice quality leather. The dual touch screens, which I wasnt a fan of at first, I found I really liked. The viewing angles were great, it drove very well down my curvey route to work, and had more storage space with the only the 3rd row down than the NX does with the back seats down. Also, on backroads, I was able to get ~23mpg out of it which was quite impressive. My only concern was the tuning in the 9 speed transmission as it was confused and would shift at unnecessary times.

I was wondering of any of you had a MDX preciously and what your thoughts were?

The NX will have a better sportier look, but the turbo will never match a naturally aspirated v6, reliability is a wash Honda v Toyota, the space is bigger in the MDX.

I love driving my wife's IS350, so I enjoy the current design path of Toyota, but I am also a Honda lover at heart. So quite conflicted.

I'm having a debate and any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-15, 03:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go MDX in a heartbeat.
More power,more comfortable,more room,better ride quality etc..
Wait for the '16 RX.
Old 03-29-15, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'd buy the MDX. But, with that said they are entirely different vehicles, and what makes the NX the NX doesn't appeal to me. Thats more a statement about me and what I like vs the NX.
Old 03-29-15, 04:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I had a prior MDX (not the latest). My colleague just got the '16 and it's a nicely refined vehicle with smooth V6 power.

Not fond of the styling and exterior size, but if these are not an issue for you and you value a smoother, roomier, and more quiet ride, the MDX is the better choice.
Old 03-29-15, 04:12 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
All

I wanted to start a thread to get some feelings between a 2015 NX Fsport and a 2016 Acura MDX.

I had my heart set on the NX (obviously as I ordered one lol). But this past week I had the chance to drive a 2016 MDX and now I'm conflicted.

Let's take one comment out of the debate rigjt away. I know the MDX and NX are not the Apples to apples comparison size wise. But price wise, they are within $5k. So...

I found that I enjoyed the 3.5L v6, which had a smooth torque curve and more than enough power for get it moving quickly. The interior was VERY spacious with very nice quality leather. The dual touch screens, which I wasnt a fan of at first, I found I really liked. The viewing angles were great, it drove very well down my curvey route to work, and had more storage space with the only the 3rd row down than the NX does with the back seats down. Also, on backroads, I was able to get ~23mpg out of it which was quite impressive. My only concern was the tuning in the 9 speed transmission as it was confused and would shift at unnecessary times.

I was wondering of any of you had a MDX preciously and what your thoughts were?

The NX will have a better sportier look, but the turbo will never match a naturally aspirated v6, reliability is a wash Honda v Toyota, the space is bigger in the MDX.

I love driving my wife's IS350, so I enjoy the current design path of Toyota, but I am also a Honda lover at heart. So quite conflicted.

I'm having a debate and any insight would be appreciated.
What will you be using it for? Family hauler? Both are nice cars, but I'd go with the MDX because of size, and it also handles better. The NX seemed noisier when I tested them both recently. The MDX has been described as BMW X5-like in driving dynamics, if that's important to you. In fact, if the choice was between the MDX and the X5, I'd pick the MDX in a heartbeat.
Old 03-29-15, 04:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gyrase321
and it also handles better. The NX seemed noisier when I tested them both recently. The MDX has been described as BMW X5-like in driving dynamics, if that's important to you. In fact, if the choice was between the MDX and the X5, I'd pick the MDX in a heartbeat.
The MDX handles nothing like an X5, and does not handle better than the NX. The current MDX is definitely a ride oriented vehicle, not a handling oriented vehicle. An X5 runs circles around it.

X5 all day long in that comparison, lots more money though. X5 is a far nicer vehicle.
Old 03-29-15, 04:23 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The MDX handles nothing like an X5, and does not handle better than the NX. The current MDX is definitely a ride oriented vehicle, not a handling oriented vehicle. An X5 runs circles around it.

X5 all day long in that comparison, lots more money though. X5 is a far nicer vehicle.
Disagree. The MDX is not exactly like an X-5, but handling wise, it is a nice mimic of a more expensive car from a brand with lower reliability. There are also different engine variants to the X-5, so this comparison only applies to the base trim.
Old 03-29-15, 04:24 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

What will you be using it for? Family hauler? Both are nice cars, but I'd go with the MDX because of size, and it also handles better. The NX seemed noisier when I tested them both recently. The MDX has been described as BMW X5-like in driving dynamics, if that's important to you. In fact, if the choice was between the MDX and the X5, I'd pick the MDX in a heartbeat.
It will be used as my daily driver and our family driving car (my wife, 2 dogs, and myself). We are about 2 yrs from a kiddo yet.

The MDX handled well, but still handled like a truck. The NX I think handles better. I'm just trying to think of the vehicle that will meet the needs of my family for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-29-15, 04:31 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

It will be used as my daily driver and our family driving car (my wife, 2 dogs, and myself). We are about 2 yrs from a kiddo yet.

The MDX handled well, but still handled like a truck. The NX I think handles better. I'm just trying to think of the vehicle that will meet the needs of my family for the foreseeable future.
The NX is a good choice if I was single, or a member of DINK household with no expectation of additions to the family in the near future. Also good if commute is mostly in urban areas where parking space is a premium. If I were commuting mostly in suburbia with a household larger than 2 people, I'd go for the MDX. But with the 2016 RX just around the corner, I would also wait for that and see if that's even better than the MDX. All depends on your needs and timetable.
Old 03-29-15, 04:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

2 dogs + future kids in the picture... MDX all the way. NX will be too tight though fine if it were just the two dogs or 2 kids, but not both.
Old 03-29-15, 04:53 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
2 dogs + future kids in the picture... MDX all the way. NX will be too tight though fine if it were just the two dogs or 2 kids, but not both.
They are 40 lb wheaten terriers in which one sits in the front seat on a lap while the other sits in the back. Your vote still apply? Lol

And it's hard to describe my train of thought change here. I fell in love with the NX right away, and in the 2 months since I ordered it, I began to question space. And I didn't think of the MDX because the price difference, but I have a dealer that might be willing to play ball (not sure how much), which may make the prices much closer. So I feel obligated to compare and look once more. Plus, if the price doesn't work, it's a win-win for me. Either I get an MDX or NX. So a Honda or toyota. Either way, a customer win hah

Last edited by Swacer; 03-29-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 05:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ok, ok, so my biased vote will go with the NX and use your Camaro as backup

Kidding aside, if you put it that way, the NX can work for a few years with your first child and if and when the second one comes, you re-assess then. Good luck.
Old 03-29-15, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Disagree. The MDX is not exactly like an X-5, but handling wise, it is a nice mimic of a more expensive car from a brand with lower reliability. There are also different engine variants to the X-5, so this comparison only applies to the base trim.
I found nothing similar between the MDX and the X5. The MDX has more in common with the Highlander than the X5. The MDX is a FWD platform, the X5 is a RWD platform. Entirely different vehicles.
Old 03-29-15, 08:06 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I found nothing similar between the MDX and the X5. The MDX has more in common with the Highlander than the X5. The MDX is a FWD platform, the X5 is a RWD platform. Entirely different vehicles.
The comparo is between the MDX with SH-AWD and the X5 35i with AWD. Car and Driver and other reviewers have them both making 0-60 at 6.4secs or the X5 faster by 0.1 sec. X5 also has slightly better brakes. But the X5 is $15k more expensive. Sorry, not paying $15k more for a 0.1 sec difference and marginal brake superiority in a car that will be more expensive to maintain and less reliable than the MDX. These superior performance numbers also don't matter much the way I (and I suspect most people) will use the car. The law of diminishing returns applies here...i.e. small but expensive advantages in power and handling yield marginal utility.
Old 03-29-15, 08:59 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

We have a new gen 2014 Acura MDX and we have been looking to replace our other car with an F Sport NX so I have driven it many times. Interior wise the size difference will feel vast. The MDX is very spacious, yet I will say it doesn't drive as large as its exterior size. It is the best road trip car I have owned. The most recent gen is slightly less sporty and more quiet. Overall we really like it. I would say given what you have shared the MDX is a great choice for you. I have found the NX F Sport a bit tight regarding front headroom, seat width, and cargo area vs my expectations. You can get a few options on the MDX that you currently can't get on the F Sport - ventilated seats, Lane Keep Assist and likely Radar Cruise in your region. You'll also likely have a better stereo in the MDX and the heated steering wheel is fully heated all the way around on the MDX (it is a much more expensive accessory however). The fuel economy will be similar but a slight bit lower on the MDX. We personally have been pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy. You will likely pay $5-8K more for a top of the line MDX over the NX F Sport. Please feel free to ask any more questions if you think I can help!

Quick Reply: Dilemma - NX Fsport vs MDX