NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What packages are mandatory or nice to have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 04:08 PM
kchnew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What packages are mandatory or nice to have?

Apologize if this has been asked before. Did try to search but not many results.

We are in the middle of looking for our 1st Lexus, and like the NX 200t. Today, the dealer gave us several options, with one being AWD, no navigation package but very good pricing. Somewhere I read that the touch pad coming with the navigation package is not greatly responsive.

So based on your daily driving experiences, what packages or options are absolutely necessary and what are nice to have? particularly how about the navigation and the user experience? This will help us new comers greatly.

Thanks ahead.
Old 03-27-15, 05:09 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

The touchpad can be rather "touchy" with the haptic feedback. But I've found it much better when you disable the haptic feedback completely.

Options I like - blind side monitoring, cross traffic alert, parking assist. Then navigation next. I also like the Homelink garage door opener (included with all the packages). This way I don't leave a loose garage door opener in the car.
Old 03-27-15, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

First, welcome to the forum and hope we can help you make an informed decision on your NX!

I have the RTI Touchpad / Nav in the NX while I have the standard Display Audio Controller (DAC) (****) in the IS.

If you care not for the Nav, the DAC works very well and is the most precise in terms of selection over the RTI. The RTI does work well but it does at times lack a little responsiveness ( a slight ~second delay) when scrolling down radio stations or other menus at times, but it's not bad by any means. I'd still get it if you care for the Nav/Enform suite and much of the functions can be redundantly controlled by voice commands or steering wheel, or HVAC controls.

If you do want the Nav, I'd recommend you disable the feeback vibration to make it feel more like a laptop touchpad instead of a surface zapping back at you.

My NX is fully loaded and although I do appreciate the Memory seats/easy access seat, Nav, Radar Cruise, pre-collision, BSM, rear cross-traffic, moonroof and so on, my IS has none of these and I'm happy with that car as my main daily driver. My IS simply only has AWD and no options.

In short, here's my list.

"Mandatory:"
1. Memory Seat package/Driver Easy Exit - on the NX, it makes getting in and out of the car easier and the Tilt-down mirrors when in Reverse are also a convenient feature that comes with this package which allows you to see the curb/sidewalk lines when backing up. The actual memory seating is not a big plus since my wife is just a couple inches shorter than me and we have the same seat position. Overall, always loved this option on past Lexus vehicles.

2. Cargo net and rear bumper protector. For a nominal cost, it's well worth the practical benefits of securing grocery bags and avoiding scratches on your bumper.

3. Garage Door Opener: Very convenient to park my car in the garage especially in winter as I never get to feel the cold.

"Nice to Haves:"
1. Any of the safety tech, moonroof, and wireless tray charger in the console.

2. Wallet key-card (ask your dealer if it's available). This key fob is credit card sized and fits nicely and always stays in your wallet.

3. Premium LED DRLs or Triple L LED headlamps w/Premium LED DRLs. Sure, the former and especially the latter enhance the look of the front-end of the NX, but at $1K+ for the latter...

Consider Avoiding:
1. Power hatch - it's really slow to operate (8-9 seconds to open/close). It's cumbersome to disable the feature at times of manual operation where you have to navigate a couple menus in the 4.2 in TFT dash display (so you need the key fob present). You might want to manually test the opening and closing of the hatch in a tight parking spot or if you're unsure if your cargo will fit and hatch close safely. Finally, when you do disable the power feature, you require quite the effort to manually close the hatch as it feels like you're forcing against the (disabled) power mechanism.

2. Dealer Paint sealant - usually over priced and still requires your own vehicle care and detailing to maintain proper paint protection and luster.

3. Extended Warranty - BMW, yes get it if you want to keep the car 5+ years. Lexus, odds are considerably in your favor so skip this. Also, read the fine print since some items you think "broke" may be considered wear-and-tear.

4. AWD - I love the traction of the NX AWD here in winter, but I'd stick with the lighter more fuel-efficient (and 1400$ cheaper) FWD in warmer climates even for rainy locations.

Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to ask and myself or any other member will be glad to answer.
Old 03-28-15, 04:46 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to pick one option it would be the blind spot monitor. Especially because the NX's design makes it hard to see out the rear.
Old 03-28-15, 06:08 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
If I had to pick one option it would be the blind spot monitor. Especially because the NX's design makes it hard to see out the rear.
I think once you have a car with the blind spot monitor (BSM) and the rear cross traffic alert (RCTA) you'll never by another car without these safety features.
Old 03-28-15, 06:30 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, those are two of my favorites as well. I had a 2006 RX and the blind spot was horrible. This feature has made the NX much easier and safer to drive.

One of my favorite simple features is the Hold Button. Already totally spoiled with it and would now be mandatory of future vehicles.

As for the power rear door I wouldn't want the car without it. I'm a tennis player and always walking up to that back door with tennis bags, cooler, and assorted other junk. Power door is a must for me.
Old 03-28-15, 08:19 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My list is similar.

Yes Options:

Blind Spot Monitoring (The side mirrors are good size and if properly adjusted do a good job, but this is a great safety feature as it can potentially avoid a high speed accident vs a just a fender bender like some other features).
Memory Seats (My settings are completely different from my wife's on both our vehicles and having this in both now is a great convenience as we switch cars pretty often).
Rear Cross Traffic and Parking Assist (I almost didn't get this but its nice, especially if you have teen drivers coming up or a vertically challenged spouse)
Ventilated Seats (like the Memory seats, its a bit of just a convenience, but wow do I like this on longer trips! I think I will also appreciate it this summer, since I have a black interior, for cooling down quickly after the car has been sitting in the sun.)
Homelink for garage door (this is nice, but easily solved with a remote...just not as nice looking)
Navigation (This is tough. I'm glad I have it b/c I like having a map at the ready at all times and not having to look down at the smaller screen of a smart phone but neither this one, or the Honda one in my 2015 Odyssey, can compare to a good smart phone navigation app)
Cargo Net - (Very useful in this vehicle, more so than in others I've had.)

So-So Options:

Power tailgate (I didn't want it but couldn't find the car I wanted w/o it...no big deal just not really worth the $ in my opinion. I use it much more on my van so more useful there).
Moonroof (Its much smaller than the one in my Isuzu Trooper, and while it is fine, I find moonroofs overrated in general. No one else in the car ever wants it truly open due to wind so I only really open them when I'm by myself. In the summer its too hot here to leave the shade open on any moonroof during the day with the sun through the glass so its as it if doesn't exist b/c it stays closed up.)
Auto-dimming rear view mirrors - (May not even be an option in any trim not to have this, IDK. Don't like it here or in my Honda - does not dim enough to properly dim headlights of cars behind me at night, though the Lexus is a bit better than the Honda. I would prefer an old style manual one that truly dimmed).
Cargo Tray (I need it b/c I have a large yellow lab and a black interior, but was a little disappointed in the quality. I bought it off eBay and its supposed to be OEM, but may it is not? The one in my Trooper was heavy rubber, this one is not.)

Last edited by athiker; 03-28-15 at 08:24 AM.