NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 07:25 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Hi guys, I joined this forum after we placed an order for a NX200t few months, but we discovered some problems lately, wondering anyone have something similar. Any input will be appreciated.

1. You can hear some wind noise coming from the driver side window above 45mph. Sounds like wind coming into the cabin.
2. You can hear the fuel splashing when you coming to a stop. (doesnt happen all the time, only from full to 1/2 a tank)
3. You can hear some kind of whistle sound from the engine when you accelerate, and let go of the gas pedal. (not the turbo, you can hear that sound below 0 PSI, it also sound different than a turbo)
4. Steering wheel stitches are coming off.

Weird noise from the engine.

Normal engine noise.

Update:
As you can see, i had been dealing with Lexus corporate for 5 months now, and we finally gave up and got rid of the NX with less than 5000 miles.

within a week of ownership, we noticed all those noise above. dealership determine the noise is normal characteristic of the NX, then i came here to create this thread for advise and found out no one has the same engine noise level as we do. so i went to a different dealership to test drive another NX F Sport, i can hear all those noise except the weird engine noise. So i called Lexus corporate to complain. after providing the video of the weird engine noise, Lexus decided to send down an engineer. The engineer test drove 4 different NX F Sport with me, and none of them makes that noise and he did comment it probably caused by the turbo. Lexus kept the car for 10 days, then came to a conclusion that the noise is "acceptable". The dealership cannot do anything about it because Lexus Corp is not issuing a repair order base on ONE engineer, dealership suggested us to take it to the next level, so i decided to file a complaint against this engineer, and guess what? i cannot file any complaint against him. According the customer relationship rep, whatever this engineer said will stand, and no one can overturn him and you cannot complaint about him, and there is only ONE engineer in the East Coast, so i was like "so Lexus is operating base on ONE engineer's opinion?", then he was speechless. The dealership was trying to resolve the issue harder than Corp, because this is the 3rd Lexus we bought from them (i dont want to give out too much detail), but at the end, the dealership gave us a higher trade in value no matter which car manufacture we go to, because they also agree there is something wrong with the car, but there is nothing they can do.

This is the 3rd Lexus, and 2 Toyota prior to that. To me, customer service is more important than anything else when it comes down to manufacture. I will admit Lexus is very reliable prior to the purchase of the NX, we never had any major defect with the 2 other Lexus, and we still have 1 of the 2, but when you do have an issue, you are on your own.

Last edited by Marlon177; 08-10-15 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 09:03 AM
kenyukai27
Driver School Candidate

Default New NX issues

Please contact and describe these issues with your Lexus dealer.
Lexus wants to know about new vehicle issues ASAP.
The DS at your dealer will create a product report on these issues to help with production issues.
Old 03-23-15, 09:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome to the forum though wish it were under better circumstances for you.

I haven't experienced your bottom two issues, but as far as the wind noise around the window at higher speeds, some amount is normal due to standard side glass (Temperlite). The only way to know for sure is to compare it with another NX or post a video for reference.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-15, 10:15 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had noise issues per say, but the NX is much quieter than the vehicle I came from (not hard). Mine is very quiet up to say 55 - 60 or so, then some wind noise becomes apparent, but not what I would call unusual for a SUV/CUV. I've driven a lot of back roads with 45-55 speed limits lately and its very quiet. Just on highways at 65-75 mph do I notice wind noise. I have been in nice sedans that are quieter at highway speeds.

I do sometimes, on certain asphalt surfaces, hear a noise like a turboprop plane is flying overhead. Its not on rough roads per se, not really sure what is going on. Seems to be a tire noise however...just certain roads.
Old 03-23-15, 08:38 PM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

just dropped off the NX at the dealership, got a 2014 ES as a loaner and drove it for couple of hours today.

i did not notice the same wind noise with the ES.
didnt hear the fuel splashing noise.
cant compare the engine noise tho, they dont have the same engine.
the loaner has 6000 miles, and the steering wheel looks new.

Last edited by Marlon177; 03-23-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 08:38 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

update:

Dealership said they test drove another NX, and they are hearing the same noise. can i get more feedback from more NX owner please? thank you.
Old 04-03-15, 09:18 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

which noise did they confirm? I haven't heard any splashing.
Old 04-03-15, 09:51 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
which noise did they confirm? I haven't heard any splashing.
all the noise, which i dont remember hearing during the test drive (it was a different vehicle).

1. You can hear some wind noise coming from the driver side window above 45mph. Sounds like wind coming into the cabin.
2. You can hear the fuel splashing when you coming to a stop. (doesnt happen all the time)
3. You can hear some kind of whistle sound from the engine when you accelerate, and let go of the gas pedal. (not the turbo, you can hear that sound below 0 PSI, it also sound different than a turbo)

Last edited by Marlon177; 04-03-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 12:59 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've noticed a bit of road noise from the Yokahoma tires. Nothing too annoying.
Old 04-03-15, 02:58 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have noticed the #1 noise from driver window at >45MPH. I did not have that sort of noise in my 2006 IS250. I have also noticed the fringe coming off the sticking of the steering wheel. I think that is normal and after a while will stop.

I have noticed a clunk in the front end when first starting out and then stepping on the brakes. sound like lower control arms or steering linkage.

Geoff
Old 04-10-15, 06:30 AM
Marlon177
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Test drove another NX F Sport. i was only able to hear the noise number 1 and the steering stitches are also coming off too, but i cannot hear the same engine noise and fuel tank splashing.

2. You can hear the fuel splashing when you coming to a stop. (doesnt happen all the time)
4. Steering wheel stitches are coming off.
Old 04-10-15, 06:44 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fortunately I have not had any of those issues. Do not have the F-sport though.
Old 04-10-15, 01:16 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I shut off the radio and drive from a cold start....I can hear the whistle sound you mention when I press on the gas...
I'll try it again later to see if I hear it when the car has been warmed up.
Old 04-12-15, 06:22 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can hear the wind noise as well. But I guess it's normal, especially for suv with higher profile = more aerodynamical obstruction, as compared to a sedan or low profile car
Old 04-13-15, 09:50 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper01
I can hear the wind noise as well. But I guess it's normal, especially for suv with higher profile = more aerodynamical obstruction, as compared to a sedan or low profile car
In your case, is the wind noise from the drive's window coming "above your head" and it seems to come out from the inner corner of the window like the one below --

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ndow-door.html

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread