NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 05:43 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tulsaag
I will try this fix tomorrow and post back.. Dealer tried to say it is just a noiser car than the RX but I don't understand why the wind noise is only on the drivers side and not the passenger side.
I'm betting they didn't say that when you went to buy one.
Old 06-02-15, 12:48 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if these noise issues aren't just first year production issue.

I hear squeaking in the headliner at times. the car doesn't feel button downed. Kinda of disappointing since this is my very first Lexus.
Old 06-09-15, 04:14 PM
p0c1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone experience issue with the Cup Holder mechanism, i Know it has a spring mechanism to lock your drink or somewhat..

But it ratlle like hell.. Especially when the car on rough road

But if i put a big glass takeout drink and put it there it's fine..
Old 06-09-15, 05:24 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

My NX is actually quieter than the RX350 I recently drove as a loaner. It was full of rattles, and actually I found the V6 to be more noisy than the NX. I'm not having any issues with any rattles at all....in fact, a friend just commented on how quiet this NX is. Hope they can find a solution with those that are having this. On rougher surfaces, I do hear a little more road noise than I like, but it might be a tire thing.
Old 06-13-15, 07:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I wonder if these noise issues aren't just first year production issue.

I hear squeaking in the headliner at times. the car doesn't feel button downed. Kinda of disappointing since this is my very first Lexus.
Check to see if it's coming from the mirror plastic housing on the windshield. Press on it when you hear a squeak in the headliner to see if it's that. Mine is squeaking and is coming from there. Should be an easy fix to reduce or eliminate that squeak. I'll update this weekend.

Old 06-15-15, 05:37 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Check to see if it's coming from the mirror plastic housing on the windshield. Press on it when you hear a squeak in the headliner to see if it's that. Mine is squeaking and is coming from there. Should be an easy fix to reduce or eliminate that squeak. I'll update this weekend.
Ok thanks. I'll give that a try.
Old 06-15-15, 06:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ I added foam material in the crevice as the squeak seemed to have come from the cabling inside. At this point in time, this solution is inconclusive. I'll update in a day or two.

Old 06-17-15, 02:59 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your mirror attachment area (Canadian) is different than ours (American). We don't have anywhere near that much plastic up there!

This seems to be an area where we have a slight rattle, too, but ours is behind the little plastic covering...

I can grab this little plastic area, hold it, and it stops. Your solution was one I was going to try, too, if it doesn't stop on its own. Currently, it doesn't happen all the time. Annoying nontheless...
Old 06-17-15, 03:47 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

subscribed.
Old 06-17-15, 06:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Small rattle in overhead console near mirror

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Your mirror attachment area (Canadian) is different than ours (American). We don't have anywhere near that much plastic up there!

This seems to be an area where we have a slight rattle, too, but ours is behind the little plastic covering...

I can grab this little plastic area, hold it, and it stops. Your solution was one I was going to try, too, if it doesn't stop on its own. Currently, it doesn't happen all the time. Annoying nonetheless...

I have Lane Departure Alert/Keep Assist and Auto High-Beam system which houses the extra hardware in the windshield beneath the plastic. Should be the same for US-bound NX's.

Pic from an ES, but very similar to mine:

As for the fix I posted above, it's been squeak-free for two days.

Coincidentally yesterday, I discovered an adjacent small rattle in the overhead console area. I added similar material (was black grippy drawer lining) in the ceiling liner right above the mirror, crammed in the 1-2 mm of space separating it and the roof. I suspect it's the wiring from the mirror and safety hardware that is moving ever so slightly over bumps making the noise. It's been a day, knock on wood, no more rattle as soon as I put this material in the gap.

Old 06-17-15, 09:21 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Lane Departure Alert/Keep Assist and Auto High-Beam system which houses the extra hardware in the windshield beneath the plastic. Should be the same for US-bound NX's.

Pic from an ES, but very similar to mine:

As for the fix I posted above, it's been squeak-free for two days.

Coincidentally yesterday, I discovered an adjacent small rattle in the overhead console area. I added similar material (was black grippy drawer lining) in the ceiling liner right above the mirror, crammed in the 1-2 mm of space separating it and the roof. I suspect it's the wiring from the mirror and safety hardware that is moving ever so slightly over bumps making the noise. It's been a day, knock on wood, no more rattle as soon as I put this material in the gap.

Thanks for the tips, CorradoMR2. I have a rattle in the same area for my IS recently but for a different reason --- I hide a dash cam wire between the rear mirror housing and the LDA module. Now I know how to fix it. Great!

Last edited by AndyL; 06-17-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-18-15, 02:23 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Ooooohhhh, that's right. I forgot about the lane departure option. Its the only thing our car doesn't have. Question though...in the US, you can't have Premium LED's with Auto High Beams. Do you guys have that option?
Old 06-18-15, 07:34 AM
Tigerfever
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Ooooohhhh, that's right. I forgot about the lane departure option. Its the only thing our car doesn't have. Question though...in the US, you can't have Premium LED's with Auto High Beams. Do you guys have that option?
Yes, in Canada you can have both.
Old 06-18-15, 09:04 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by Tigerfever
Yes, in Canada you can have both.
It sounds like Canadians can have just about everything that Lexus has to offer. Nice!
Old 07-15-15, 03:25 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct. The test was merely to show a relative drop in perceived and measured noise but in no way was this a scientifically accurate test with the basic equipment used. However, you can tell from the video with good speakers the after sound has less high frequency noise.

I expect a similar incremental drop in noise if I add the ECF in the door panels which I may do. But I'd love to tackle the more noticeable wind noise that still comes through the glass...
Wind buffeting reduction experimentation:

If it's not wind noise coming through the seal, that's never going to happen and that's precisely the weakness of all sound deadening endeavors. The biggest improvement is if you can get thicker glass or the double-pane glass, which is ridiculously costly for the noise reduction.
Your best bet is to find out if there is a source of turbulence around the window, which would lead to the sound of wind. Air traveling smoothly past the window is not going to make much noise unless it's horribly turbulent to begin with. On the 2007 ES350, the issue was the size and design of the side mirrors, on the RX it was blamed on the roof rack. If you want to test wind getting in the seals, simply take painter's tape and tape around the entire window's edges(where it meets the seals) and do the same for around the door seals. Also do it on the horizontal chrome trim at the bottom of the window, as I have heard people talking about wind noise coming from here, and the black trim piece that is directly in front of the window(this was identified as the main wind source on the early LS460s). When you apply the tape, you need it to be as flat as possible so it doesn't disturb the airflow. The trickiest one will be the edges around the top of the window. Take it for a test drive and see if the wind noise that you've identified as disappeared. If it has, you know that you're having issues with one of the seals and you simply need to remove a section of tape at a time from the seal area until the sound returns. Once it's returned, retape and see if it disappears. If it does, that's your area and you can go to the dealership and have them perform the same test so that they can identify it and try to fix it. The easiest way to proceed is to tape the whole thing and pull over on the side of the road to remove each piece, rather than returning home.

If the noise does not disappear when it's taped, you know it's futile to blame the window seals or the black trim piece. You should also look underneath the car. On the body and frame of the car, there should be holes that were utilized to move the car along the assembly line and used for strapping purposes. These holes should have rubber plugs placed in them by the dealership upon arrival(PDI). There are a number of cars where these plugs fell out, were installed incorrectly, or were never installed to begin with. This caused wind noise around the a-pillar in the GS and the ES, which was solved by installing the plugs. If you have any open holes on the bottom of the car, you're probably missing the plugs.
See this thread for information on said plugs:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...r-diy-fix.html

A final thought on this would be in regards to what I read about the wind noise people suffered in their Honda Accord. They identified that the wind noise was actually caused by the air going through the seal at the front of the car's hood, where the grille and the front of the hood meet. So you can take the tape and tape along the front of the hood where it seals against the bumper, as I have indicated with this diagram. See if the noise disappears. If it does, then remove the tape one piece at a time until it reappears:

Here is a diagram that I made to indicate places to tape along when you do your testing(I couldn't find a good driver's side photo, so just do what I did here on the driver's side). Obviously you won't be able to enter the driver's side door after taping along the door seal, so go through another door. The different colors have no specific meaning, it was simply to show you to tape those areas and to avoid confusing you with overlapping lines of identical color:

Quick Reply: NX Noises, Squeaks, Rattles and Solutions Thread