NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Premium LED DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 08:13 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Premium LED DRL question

There's a an NX in my area that's built to almost exactly everything I want.

Nebula Gray
F Sport
Navi
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Electrochromic mirrors with blind spot monitoring
Intuitive Parking assist
Lexus Homelink

The only thing that's missing is the triple beam headlight but not a total deal breaker.

My question is : what is the premium LED DRL? Is the "Nike" LED lights always on even if headlights are turned off? Also, are the tail lamps LED as well?

I've seen some videos online and while the NX is driving by, the LED lights aren't on which kind of surprised me.
Old 03-07-15, 08:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Hi.

The Premium LED DRLs have in "one swoosh" the bottom half split as the white DRL and the top half split as the turn signal. Rear tail lamps are LED too. In Canada, the DRLs are always on, hence the name "Daytime Running Lamps". Not sure why in the US they would be off, but perhaps someone from the US can chime in.

You can see the difference in the light options here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8624781

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-08-15 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Corrected DRL flashing statement
Old 03-07-15, 09:08 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hi.

The Premium LED DRLs have in "one swoosh" the bottom half split as the white DRL and the top half split as the turn signal. Rear tail lamps are LED too. In Canada, the DRLs are always on, hence the name "Daytime Running Lamps". Not sure why in the US they would be off, but perhaps someone from the US can chime in.

You can see the difference in the light options here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8624781
Thanks for the explanation Corrado. I hope the LEDs are on all the time because my 2011 IS has it and don't see why it wouldn't be on current generation models.

Also, do the models with the triple beam option still have HIDs at least?
Old 03-07-15, 10:21 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyy
Thanks for the explanation Corrado. I hope the LEDs are on all the time because my 2011 IS has it and don't see why it wouldn't be on current generation models.

Also, do the models with the triple beam option still have HIDs at least?
I'm pretty sure just like my 2012 CT200h you have the option to keep the LED daytime running lights on all the time or turn them off; however by default they light up anyway when you switch on the headlights.

There are absolutely no NXs in the DFW area with the Premium Triple Beam Headlights on the lots or at least that's what the dealer(s) told me. Not at Sewell Lexus or Park Place Lexus. I ended up custom ordering my NX with the Premium Triple Beam Headlights because I feel it really adds more of beautiful look to an already astonishing design; the cherry on top.

Your question about the triple beam option still having HIDs; I'm not sure? On my order sheet the dealer sent me it says "LED Headlamps w/o Auto High Beam."

Old 03-08-15, 08:25 AM
Tonyy
Driver

^ Thanks rjw! You're right, Sewell also told me that there are no triple beam NX's in the area as well.

I really hope the non triple beam models still have HIDs at least. It's amazing that halogens are still standard these days. Hopefully a US owner without triple beams can comment here.
Old 03-08-15, 09:16 AM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyy
^ Thanks rjw! You're right, Sewell also told me that there are no triple beam NX's in the area as well.

I really hope the non triple beam models still have HIDs at least. It's amazing that halogens are still standard these days. Hopefully a US owner without triple beams can comment here.
In the US all NX models have the LEDs standard whether its the triple beam or regular projector style unit. They're LEDs. No halogens at all not even on the base model.
Old 03-08-15, 09:44 AM
ALE81
Driver

IMHO, even if the HID's were available I wouldn't want them. I always wanted HID's and have them on my 14 RX but the upper cutoff is so low they make driving on country, two lane roads dangerous. My daughter has LED's on her 15 Corolla and they are much better than the HID's.
I'm still waiting on my NX with triple LED's but it is my understanding the NX only has the single LED or the triple LED, no HID or halogen.
Old 03-08-15, 12:40 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Good to know! So It's a single LED light in the standard and not HID at all.
Old 03-08-15, 01:07 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct its a single LED light. No HID
Old 03-08-15, 05:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Error on my part in an earlier statement which I corrected.

The DRL stays on even when the turn signal flashes on. From far, looks like the DRL turns off because the yellow flasher is really bright. Though hard to see the DRL (lower light slice) in the second pic due to phone cam quality.
Attached Thumbnails Premium LED DRL question-nxturn0.jpg   Premium LED DRL question-nxturn.jpg  
Old 03-08-15, 07:46 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Error on my part in an earlier statement which I corrected.

The DRL stays on even when the turn signal flashes on. From far, looks like the DRL turns off because the yellow flasher is really bright. Though hard to see the DRL (lower light slice) in the second pic due to phone cam quality.
Great shots. Amazing DRL and turn signals. They are a step up from IS.
Old 03-08-15, 08:49 PM
Tonyy
Driver

I agree, great shots corrado. The premium LED drl are beautiful. Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of mine soon and be a frequent member in this section
Old 03-10-15, 02:18 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headlamps w/o Auto High Beam = Headlamps "with out" Auto High Beam ?
Old 03-10-15, 05:07 PM
Tonyy
Driver

^that is correct
Old 03-14-15, 03:47 PM
ncast2523
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted these on mine as well and dealer said the same thing. Maybe they will be available soon from the parts department, I'm sure its an easy swap. They really do add a lot to the look of the front.

Quick Reply: Premium LED DRL question