NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 06:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Running Boards solved the problem for me...
Great to hear. Can you post pics underneath to see how the boards are helping?
Old 04-12-15, 05:19 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

At the office now, running off to a meeting. Will try and catch some time later on during the day to see if I can sneak downstairs to catch a few pics...
Old 04-12-15, 09:27 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

I've attached two pictures... one showing the running boards with the doors open to show how much it covers the bottom, as well as one more from underneath, also showing the coverage.

Only one thing I'm not so happy with. When there's water on the road, the water thrown up by the tires makes an awful hollow scraping sound as it hits the undersides of the running boards. Well, this weekend, they are coming off again to get a few coats of rubberized undercoat.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-rb-underside.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-rb.jpg  

Last edited by legrunt; 04-12-15 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 10:51 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I've attached two pictures... one showing the running boards with the doors open to show how much it covers the bottom, as well as one more from underneath, also showing the coverage.

Only one thing I'm not so happy with. When there's water on the road, the water thrown up by the tires makes an awful hollow scraping sound as it hits the undersides of the running boards. Well, this weekend, they are coming off again to get a few coats of rubberized undercoat.
glad you're able to confirm the noise from water hitting the running boards - are you going to use a rubberized spray, or a rubber roof style material? I was going to use the roof material at some point. But I have time...rainy season is almost over.
Old 04-13-15, 12:50 AM
legrunt
Pole Position

I plan to use a spray. If that doesn't work, then I'll get some dynamat or something...
Old 04-13-15, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Nice to see the boards cover the bottom of the doors. This definitely blocks any snow or dirt sticking to the doors. Thanks for the pics
Old 04-21-15, 05:51 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

DO NOT USE RUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING!!!!!
THAT STUFF IS A ****ING NIGHTMARE!!!!!

It sticks to what you don't want it to stick to and doesn't stick to what you want it to!
After it was dry, I noticed it rubbed off the smooth aluminium easily. But when the dry stuff got onto my fingers, I had to bloody scrub them almost raw! Doesn't freakkin make sense, I mean, its already DRY!!!

Also, I noticed the stuff wasn't doing much in terms of insulating the scraping hollow sound rainwater makes when its thrown up by the wheels...

So I used a power washer to scrub most of it off the boards. That was my second mistake. My legs were peppered with that stuff!!!!

I ended up using gap filling foam. I sprayed on a few lines and let it expand, then trimmed off the excess after it cured.
Old 04-21-15, 06:49 PM
typocl
Instructor

DO NOT USE RUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING!!!!!
THAT STUFF IS A ****ING NIGHTMARE!!!!!

It sticks to what you don't want it to stick to and doesn't stick to what you want it to!
After it was dry, I noticed it rubbed off the smooth aluminium easily. But when the dry stuff got onto my fingers, I had to bloody scrub them almost raw! Doesn't freakkin make sense, I mean, its already DRY!!!

Also, I noticed the stuff wasn't doing much in terms of insulating the scraping hollow sound rainwater makes when its thrown up by the wheels...

So I used a power washer to scrub most of it off the boards. That was my second mistake. My legs were peppered with that stuff!!!!

I ended up using gap filling foam. I sprayed on a few lines and let it expand, then trimmed off the excess after it cured.
oh goodness, thanks for the sacrifice. I was thinking about foam as well, but wasn't sure how to level it. I'll do that on some weekend. I had realized that some rubberized roofing material would probably be a pain to apply because of the angles.

So is the foam working to cut down the noise of water hitting the bottom? Hope it lasts.
Old 04-21-15, 07:01 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Just did that yesterday, and it's been dry here for a few days already...
I'll let you know the next time it's wet outside.
Old 04-22-15, 06:25 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Ok, it rained cats dogs monkeys and donkeys last night just as I was leaving the office.

Verdict - the foam cuts out quite a lot of the grinding hollow sound from spray from the wheels, but it is still audible.
I would estimate 50-60% reduction in the noise level.

I'm still scrubbing my legs till today...
Almost all gone, but still a few spots...
Old 04-22-15, 06:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if a storm door self adhesive strip would work on the door problem?
Old 04-22-15, 08:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 4482
I wonder if a storm door self adhesive strip would work on the door problem?
Could be worth a try, but I'd still staple it since the exposure to snow/water freeze/thaw could eventually un-glue it.
Old 08-06-15, 10:32 PM
N54TT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think the mud guards help alleviate the build up of snow and dirt at all?
Old 08-07-15, 10:43 AM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by N54TT
Do you think the mud guards help alleviate the build up of snow and dirt at all?
I think someone mentioned that the running boards helped with that. I don't recall any mention of mud guards helping.
Old 08-07-15, 12:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by N54TT
I've had the mud guards on since delivery and the snow still built up. It's only after implementing this seal extension fix did the accumulation notably reduce. Also, as per typocl, one or two members have also pointed out a reduction of snow with the running boards. Would be interesting to know if anyone has done both.

Quick Reply: DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX