NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 04:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Not sure if anyone tried it but from my end, the fix is holding up like new and has reduced much of the unsightly dirt and snow accumulation.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-25-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 06:01 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I pumped black silicon into the rear wheel arch around the door, but as for the lower door seal, I think I'm going to wait for my running boards to arrive. Those should do the trick.
Old 03-25-15, 06:45 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I think it really sux that you need to do this kind of fix on a car that cost this much....
I received an email survey from Lexus today. I mentioned the problem and suggested they take care of the problem ASAP !
Old 03-25-15, 07:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ That's good news. Hopefully with survey feedback and visibility of this thread, Lexus acknowledges and resolves the issue.
Old 03-26-15, 02:43 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealer and complained 2 weeks ago. The service tech said he will file a report to their system, which will go directly to the engineering department. Hopefully it will have some positive feedback.

I refuse to do a diy improvised fix for this by myself and not by the dealer or lexus. On the positive note, it hasn't been raining that much and I haven't encountered too much mud yet so the dirt isn't that bad... but regardless
Old 03-26-15, 03:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^I agree a DIY is not the permanent solution and glad you reported it and got some visibility. However, until Lexus acknowledges the issue and comes up with a fix, the DIY can be a viable interim solution.
Old 03-26-15, 06:36 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

My Mrs finally made the commitment, and will be picking up her NX200t (non f-sport because she needs ventilated seats... health condition)

We will also bring up the issue and this thread with Lexus.

Glad to hear its been working out well corradoMR2.

I like the DIY solution because it provides tangible results and benefits, to a problem that was overlooked by engineers during construction and testing phases.

When it comes to any luxury products... the details matter!!
Old 04-10-15, 08:37 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

So I let the car get dusty this week, so I could see for myself how the seams can get due to poor door seals.

I had very light moisture on the roads at the beginning of the week, and yesterday was a very dusty day with all the street sweepers about in our city, a fine layer of dust is able to kick up onto the area to help highlight the problem areas a bit more.
TLDR: conditions were dusty but dry 95% of the time.

I can only imagine how nasty this could get in the winter.

The first picture is of the front door, the rest are of the rear wheel well & the rear passenger door.

Is this normal for SUV's and trucks?
I had a Range Rover before, but don't recall seeing any of this, as it was in repair bay most of the time I had that vehicle.

Nothing like this on our RX either.

Would running boards help reduce/solve this issue?
My Mrs is just leasing this vehicle... not sure if its worth putting running boards on :P
I mean I suppose we could always have them taken off, and added onto her next NX that she leases/or buys. (fyi. she loves this car even more than I )

I probably wont pick up an NX of my own, until perhaps '16, or the year after.
I want to see how the next RX, GS, GX, & LX refreshes look in person first before making a commitment.
So for the first time since we've been married, we are a 1-car family... for now.

edit: Please excuse my poor cell phone photography, I didn't want to bring the DSLR outside... too lazy
I am in firm belief CorradoMR2's suggested DIY fix would help alleviate most of this.
Other than that, I would suggest just being diligent about wiping down those seams and crevices when you wash your car, so dirt and other stuff does not accumulate.

Also maybe our NX wasn't put together as well as everybody else's NX LOL
Maybe a good thing we are leasing this first generation.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-003.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-005.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-008.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-010.jpg   DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX-nx-rear-door-011.jpg  

Last edited by Kelmin; 04-10-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 09:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI, in my "satisfaction survey" from Lexus, I mentioned this deficiency. I am also going to bring it up at my next dealer visit. It's really pretty ridiculous, and I live in the [perhaps] fantasy world where Lexus maybe decides to take some action for us.
Old 04-10-15, 10:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=winst0n;8972180]

I refuse to do a diy improvised fix for this by myself and not by the dealer or lexus. [QUOTE]

Why?
Old 04-10-15, 11:01 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Why?
I also refuse, for two reasons:
  1. I do not necessarily have the skills (nor desire) to effect such an undertaking, and
  2. I consider this to be a design defect, not some kind of "preference" of mine.

The doors should be engineered such that the seals prevent this mess.
Old 04-10-15, 11:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
I also refuse, for two reasons:
  1. I do not necessarily have the skills (nor desire) to effect such an undertaking, and
  2. I consider this to be a design defect, not some kind of "preference" of mine.

The doors should be engineered such that the seals prevent this mess.
You absolutely have the skills. This is just a little time and determination to want to make you car work better. The DYI it pretty straight forward.

Whether you consider this a design flaw or not, your car is going to get salt up there during the winter and its going to corrode, and you're going to be s#it out of luck with rust. Lexus will not help you as it hasn't rusted the "entire way through" and they will just fix it in another model year.

It comes down to, if you care about the money you invested, you will find a way to fix it yourself.

There are always design oversights in cars. You just have to fix them. Heck, I just did that with my Camaro in regards to my catch can. The OEM GM design had an over pressurization line from the valve cover that would take oil vapor and circle it right back into my intake. This would cause buildup on my valves. Will GM care to fix this? No, this was their way to meet the EPA standard and nothing is "broken". Thus, I put a catch can in that will catch the oil and solve the problem.

Being a design engineer myself, I can tell you, the "problem" with the NX door is not "broken". Is it not ideal, sure. But is it worth the frustration to go back and fix? No, you figure the owners who find it a real issue will find a way to fix it themselves.

I know its a sucky answer, but its the truth.

Last edited by Swacer; 04-10-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 06:45 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Running Boards solved the problem for me...
Old 04-11-15, 07:55 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Running Boards solved the problem for me...
just to double check - you had the issue, then installed the running boards and no more issue?
Old 04-11-15, 08:53 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Yup! Zactly...

Quick Reply: DIY - Poor Door-Bottom Seal FIX