NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus extended warranty programs (ie. Gold / Platinum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 05:37 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus extended warranty programs (ie. Gold / Platinum)

Hi everyone

I am probably going to buy a new vehicle in the next 30-90 days after getting my tax refund or before if my high mileage current vehicle becomes too costly to keep.

I am between the NX and 2016 Acura RDX. Part of my decision will come down to price. I believe the refreshed Acura fully loaded will be comparable to the NX I am looking at. For the NX I would probably get the AWD 200T with luxury package and a bunch of other items to make it near fully loaded. I will use True Car, BJs, or Costco to get the best pre-negotiated price. My current vehicle is high mileage and probably would be rated fair by dealers on a trade in so I may only get $1500-3000 on a trade in. I expect to drive at least 16k miles a year and can possibly burn through 80k miles in 4-5 years. Since I am financing I will buy an extended warranty. It looks like the Platinum is probably the way to go for the 6 years covering enough miles (90-100k). For those in the know what is the cost of this service? My understanding is you can enter into this extended warranty even after you take possession of the vehicle so you can shop it around amongst different dealers.

Also, does the pre-paid maintenance agreement make sense too?

thanks in advance
Old 02-28-15, 03:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
Hi everyone

My understanding is you can enter into this extended warranty even after you take possession of the vehicle so you can shop it around amongst different dealers.

thanks in advance
Why get the extended warranty on the car now if you're going to finance it? The extended warranty will not kick in until the regular warranty is up in 4 years. In the mean time you'll be paying interest on the money borrowed for it. You may not even want to keep the car during the 4 years. You have until the 4 year regular warranty is up before buying the extended warranty.

And yes you can shop around Lexus dealers for the best price on the Lexus warranty. The warranty is negotiable.
Old 03-01-15, 05:26 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

save ur $$$$$ on the extended warranty and maybe use it for the maintenance plan if u have extra $$
Old 03-01-15, 12:41 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I typically own vehicles past 100k miles and for at least 6 years. Since I will burn up the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty in roughly 3 years I will be without warranty for a long time. On prior vehicles I have owned I have found that some things have gone wrong after the warranty has ended that has costs me a few thousand to fix. For me it is a combination of investment plus peace of mind. Since May of 2013 when I started my current job I have driven almost 40,000 miles in an older vehicle. While I am driving a bit less now it is still on target to drive at least 17-18k miles a year.
Old 03-01-15, 03:04 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

since ur planning to keep ur car longer then get the ext warranty and as u stated for peace of mind.

Lexus is a great car. As long as u do the maintenance it will last. Also to fix something after 4-5 years u can simply go to any toyota dealership. Its not like MB and BMW or most european cars that they always charge u an arm and a leg.

my brother has a 2008 ES and bought the extended warranty and until now he only used it for one time for HID bulb replacement.

However like my wife she wanted peace of mind so we got the ext warranty and maintenance plan on her 2015 Highlander.
Old 03-03-15, 12:31 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Since this is my first luxury car, I decided to get the platinum 100K miles and prepaid maintenance.

The prepaid maintenance actually makes sense because you would really use it or shall I say spend it.. depending on the price the're selling you, calculate the price of 4 change oil (at every 10K miles) and 9 tire rotation (at every 5k miles), and 2 major maintenance at 25K and 50K... of course you gotta compute based on lexus dealer service price... I came up $500+ more if I pay the maintenance separately... so the prepaid make sense..

As for the platinum warranty, you may or may not use it... but it's the peace of mind so I got it..
it's also transferrable so if you sell the car, it's an add-on...

Hi everyone

I am probably going to buy a new vehicle in the next 30-90 days after getting my tax refund or before if my high mileage current vehicle becomes too costly to keep.

I am between the NX and 2016 Acura RDX. Part of my decision will come down to price. I believe the refreshed Acura fully loaded will be comparable to the NX I am looking at. For the NX I would probably get the AWD 200T with luxury package and a bunch of other items to make it near fully loaded. I will use True Car, BJs, or Costco to get the best pre-negotiated price. My current vehicle is high mileage and probably would be rated fair by dealers on a trade in so I may only get $1500-3000 on a trade in. I expect to drive at least 16k miles a year and can possibly burn through 80k miles in 4-5 years. Since I am financing I will buy an extended warranty. It looks like the Platinum is probably the way to go for the 6 years covering enough miles (90-100k). For those in the know what is the cost of this service? My understanding is you can enter into this extended warranty even after you take possession of the vehicle so you can shop it around amongst different dealers.

thanks in advance
Old 03-25-15, 06:58 AM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

What exactly does the new platinum extended warranty coverage cover that the gold one doesn't? On Lexus.ca, it only mentions what the platinum will not cover.

Thank you.
Old 03-25-15, 09:26 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It covers everything that is not excluded, like the CPO warranty. Also you can buy these warranties anytime your factory warranty is up, so why pay now? What if you total your car on on your second year? Money down the drain.
Old 03-25-15, 02:21 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noeh
It covers everything that is not excluded, like the CPO warranty. Also you can buy these warranties anytime your factory warranty is up, so why pay now? What if you total your car on on your second year? Money down the drain.
Thank you. Good point about buying just before the factory warranty is up. So we can still shop around and haggle and most dealerships will entertain us? I don't think it cost them anything to sell us the warranty, or do they?
Old 03-25-15, 02:26 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If im not mistaken some warratys you have to be withing certain milage to get it without inspection.
Old 03-25-15, 02:39 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

What prices are you all being quoted for the warranty? I think Lexus has a rule that you have to buy it in your own state to prevent people from shopping around the country for the best deal.
Old 03-25-15, 03:23 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

What prices are you all being quoted for the warranty? I think Lexus has a rule that you have to buy it in your own state to prevent people from shopping around the country for the best deal.
I got an out of state quote for $1765 (Lexus extended warranty). He said it wasn't an issue. Maintenance contracts would be an issue though.
Old 03-26-15, 02:53 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

I got mine for $1900 100K miles platinum.. I got screwed for $135

Originally Posted by typocl
I got an out of state quote for $1765 (Lexus extended warranty). He said it wasn't an issue. Maintenance contracts would be an issue though.
Old 03-26-15, 03:12 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by winst0n
I got mine for $1900 100K miles platinum.. I got screwed for $135
I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm getting it. If it was any other Lexus model, I wouldn't. But this is a new model with new engine and the new touchpad...
Old 03-26-15, 03:50 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm getting it. If it was any other Lexus model, I wouldn't. But this is a new model with new engine and the new touchpad...
But you have until near the end of your warranty to decide to purchase the insurance. In the mean time defects will no doubt be showing a pattern, if there are any.

Quick Reply: Lexus extended warranty programs (ie. Gold / Platinum)