NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 04:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Quite surprised to see this design flaw in NX.

Ironically, the current RX has a similar interface treatment between the rear wheel well and the rear door. Yet I don't recall any dirt or slush accumulation issue -- I would have noticed it as I power wash the door gaps frequently. Judging from your picture in the other thread and the construction of my RX, the problem does do with inadequate plastic cladding in the rear door (the area where it interfaces with the rear wheel well) --- RX has extra thick plastic cladding where NX doesn't. additional rubber seal i from rayzer57 is a great idea.

Exactly. The issue here is that cladding has a gap compared to the RX's.

There are actually two issues here at play. One is the gap along the entire bottom of the doors which allows more than usual snow and dirt caking on along the inner door.
Cleanup here can be done with a rag and water/cleaner.

Second issue is the gap along the the plastic rear wheel arch attached to the door which allows dirt to cram in the crevice (link I posted above).
Cleanup here requires a power washer or small brush and water to clear out the crevices.

My only concern is with the second issue with trapped salt, dirt, and moisture potentially accelerating rust. When the weather warms up, I plan on addressing this.
Old 02-28-15, 04:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

There are actually two issues here at play. One is the gap along the entire bottom of the doors which allows more than usual snow and dirt caking on along the inner door.

Second issue is the gap along the the plastic rear wheel arch attached to the door which allows dirt to cram in the crevice (link I posted above).
Cleanup here requires a power washer or small brush and water to clear out the crevices.

My only concern is with the second issue with trapped salt, dirt, and moisture potentially accelerating rust. When the weather warms up, I plan on addressing this.
MR2, can you provide pictures of the second issue?
Old 02-28-15, 07:25 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I too find myself irritated by the dirt/muck accumulation at the bottom of the doors. I am hoping that enough of us raise the issue (which I will at the dealer at my 5K, which will be in March) maybe they'll figure out a fix.

Last edited by 15RC350F; 02-28-15 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-28-15, 08:20 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the ultimate issue is rust and Lexus needs to address it quickly before it is too late. Meanwhile power wash from coin-op wash bays is the way to go. If the weather is warm enough, probably a follow up with a careful wipe of a damped micro fibre cloth would clean up the gap.

Down the road, before a fix appears, a special wash regimen must be established to keep the area clean.
Old 02-28-15, 03:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
MR2, can you provide pictures of the second issue?
See attached.

Originally Posted by spcran4d
I too find myself irritated by the dirt/muck accumulation at the bottom of the doors. I am hoping that enough of us raise the issue (which I will at the dealer at my 5K, which will be in March) maybe they'll figure out a fix.
Yes, it should be pointed out to Lexus but it may be dismissed as a design and not a safety issue.

Originally Posted by AndyL
Yes, the ultimate issue is rust and Lexus needs to address it quickly before it is too late. Meanwhile power wash from coin-op wash bays is the way to go. If the weather is warm enough, probably a follow up with a careful wipe of a damped micro fibre cloth would clean up the gap.

Down the road, before a fix appears, a special wash regimen must be established to keep the area clean.
Agreed! Power wash is the ideal "tool" but you need to exercise caution in the angle and pressure applied or the gunk might splash out towards the interior and make a bigger mess. For now I pour warm water and toothbrush to remove the gunk especially needed at the bottom corner.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-door_dirt.jpg   Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-door_dirt1.jpg  
Old 02-28-15, 04:35 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@corradoMR2
Thank you posting the picture. It looks disgusting. We are paying a premium for this car [compared to others in its class like BMW X1 and the Merc etc, NX costs about $1800 + more for a comparably equipped car].

For a Luxury car, this is unacceptable. I hope all of you will take to the dealer now, rather than wait for the 5000 mile service. I did.

This way hopefully, Lexus will come up with a solution for us. Having paid $45000 for a car, I don't want to see dirty door each time, I open the door. And also, I do not have to clean my doors with a tooth brush every weekend to keep it clean.

NX, is becoming an expensive "dirty" car. Hope they will offer us a reto fit for the plastic cladding. If you look close enough there is a huge gap between the body and the door. The plastic molding is supposed to cover this gap, but I guess the engineer had too much Saki and messed up the measurements.

Unacceptable for an expensive car.
Old 02-28-15, 05:48 PM
Ocluszn
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deal breaker

This new issue may be a deal breaker for me. May wait for NX 2.0 in 12 months
Old 03-01-15, 05:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

@Ocluszn: I hope you reconsider since the NX's qualities far outweigh some minor inconveniences

Folks, I'm running a pilot test to determine the effectiveness of weatherstripping on the reduction of gunk in the door bottoms.

Here's a preview. Will post results after some driving in snow this week.
Attached Thumbnails Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?-nx_weather2.jpg  
Old 03-01-15, 05:49 PM
leej865
Driver

I finally drove the NX this weekend. It is very nice indeed, but not so great that the dealership needed to be so snarky about insisting on full price...no negotiating. This was the first red flag. Then came the usual litteny of lies, talking to me like I was an idiot. Now with such an obvious design flaw so clearly represented in this thread, it makes me wonder what else may be wrong. It's still on my list, but it has moved to the bottom. There are just too many other options out there...especially after seeing the 2016 Mercedes GLC (replacement for GLK) spy shots yesterday. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited by leej865; 03-01-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 07:33 PM
ARIZONASUN
Driver School Candidate

We have owned our nx 300h for four months now.. 36.3 MPG in town and on our freeways.
Now the dirt. Owning many street rods caused me to detail them all the time. Now comes the NX. Same goes with any nice car.. Sure the door bottoms are bad but take a look at the front wheel wells. Very hard to clean as there are many humps and bumps to clean PLUS THE coil over springs... Just part of the detailing of nice rides..Do not be a cry baby and either clean it your self or get it cleaned.... We live in the sunny state of Arizona which helps lots....
Old 03-01-15, 07:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

@Ocluszn: I hope you reconsider since the NX's qualities far outweigh some minor inconveniences

Folks, I'm running a pilot test to determine the effectiveness of weatherstripping on the reduction of gunk in the door bottoms.

It looks good. You will know if it works pretty soon next week --- seeing snow seems to be coming on Tuesday in GTA.

Still, I think the vertical gap may be a bigger challenge to tackle.
Old 03-02-15, 03:21 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Funny you said this because right after you posted the picture of the snow, I took my wife's IS out in the snow and I noticed the HUGE piece of weather stripping along the bottom of the door and said to myself "hello simple solution" hahah

Please let me now how effective you find it.

Also, how did you attach it? I was considering double sided tape, but wondering how it will hold up to wet/dry and cold/warm cycles. Also, where did you get it from?
Old 03-02-15, 07:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
Funny you said this because right after you posted the picture of the snow, I took my wife's IS out in the snow and I noticed the HUGE piece of weather stripping along the bottom of the door and said to myself "hello simple solution" hahah

Please let me now how effective you find it.

Also, how did you attach it? I was considering double sided tape, but wondering how it will hold up to wet/dry and cold/warm cycles. Also, where did you get it from?
Basically garage bottom-door weather stripping, but there's more to it with the rear door wheel trim cavity. Fingers crossed and if it works to improve the situation, I'll publish a DIY this week!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-02-15 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 07:47 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Running Boards?

Will Installing a Running Board help with this at all? Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-15, 08:50 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocluszn
This new issue may be a deal breaker for me. May wait for NX 2.0 in 12 months
BTW I appreciate all you members here expressing your hepful tips & your pros & cons.....especially corradoMR2!

Quick Reply: Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?