NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 08:02 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?

I live in snowy North East. I have had the NX for 3 to 4 weeks now. I find that the snow seems to be creeping in between the door and the car frame.

When I open the door after driving in snow, I see several inches of snow/slush hanging from the door frame at the bottom.

Any one else having the same issue?

If so is this a poor door seal installation issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-15, 08:30 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocdude
I live in snowy North East. I have had the NX for 3 to 4 weeks now. I find that the snow seems to be creeping in between the door and the car frame.

When I open the door after driving in snow, I see several inches of snow/slush hanging from the door frame at the bottom.

Any one else having the same issue?

If so is this a poor door seal installation issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
I too have noticed / experienced the snow hanging from the door. It is definitely a design issue that when the door is shut, creates a channel to collect road debris.
A fix would need to attach to the bottom of the door sill that runs the full length of the door. Something like a flexible rubber tube that would attached to the door and seal/fill that gap.
I don't suspect the dealership would fix this issue unless they get instructed from Lexus HQ. Definitely not a safety issue, but not what you expect from Lexus attention to details.
The following users liked this post:
memilfarb (08-17-18)
Old 02-25-15, 09:51 AM
leej865
Driver

All auto manufacturers do cold climate testing. How could they not have picked up on this? This sounds odd. I wonder if the running boards would help.
Old 02-25-15, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Same issue here. And in addition, dirt accumulates in the crevices: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8896806

@rayzer57: I like the rubber seal idea. I'll look into that.
Old 02-25-15, 06:52 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here...and on top of that...the slush and dirt is now frozen and hard as steel thx to -30 Celsius temperatures....
Definitely an oversight from Lexus.
Maybe they tested in cold temperatures, but not so sure real winter/slush/dirt was part of that.
Old 02-26-15, 06:24 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by Pesttt
Same here...and on top of that...the slush and dirt is now frozen and hard as steel thx to -30 Celsius temperatures....
Definitely an oversight from Lexus.
Maybe they tested in cold temperatures, but not so sure real winter/slush/dirt was part of that.
Every photo I have seen of 'cold climate testing' was in snow, often where the roads were covered in snow and the show was coming down pretty hard some times. I would think that would be standard testing for any vehicle today...especially an AWD, SUV type vehicle like this.
Old 02-26-15, 06:37 AM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
Every photo I have seen of 'cold climate testing' was in snow, often where the roads were covered in snow and the show was coming down pretty hard some times. I would think that would be standard testing for any vehicle today...especially an AWD, SUV type vehicle like this.
snow is one thing...but slush and and all that garbage is another.
In fact, when it snows here pretty hard and heavy, nothing really accumulates....cause its just snow.
But when the snow turns to slush and sleet is when everything starts to stick and accumulate in between the door and frame...which then just freezes with the cold temperatures...unless you're parking it indoors
Old 02-26-15, 12:36 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default I am Glad I am not the Only One

I took the car to the dealer to document the issue.

I also realized today [no snow, the snow has melted] that after the snow has melted it leaves behind a large dirty white residue in the door [all 4 doors].

Even if I wash the car, this dirty white residue is still going to be there and we have to manually wash [I am sure it is still not going to look clean] to make it look presentable.

What a mess.

I hope all of you will also take it to the dealer and document the issue, this way they will come up with a fix [I hope].
Old 02-26-15, 01:24 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

can someone take a picture of this issue and post it?
Old 02-26-15, 03:52 PM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

I concur on this issue.. It's not just in snow condition but dirt in general. No snow here in San Antonio, but when it rains and drive in muddy road, I see mud/dirt collecting below door frame. I think it's a design flow. When I look and compared to other cars, the door frame below extends over and beyond the floor, hence dirt accumulates down there because it's really exposed underneath... while other cars the bottom door frame sits on top of the floor, so it's not exposed down there so no dirt accumulates ..

It's becoming annoying now because even if you wash your car from the outside, that part won't get cleaned/washed ... you have open the door and manually clean down there... this needs to be addressed or recalled!

Last edited by winst0n; 02-26-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 04:44 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by winst0n
I
It's becoming annoying now because even if you wash your car from the outside, that part won't get cleaned/washed ... you have open the door and manually clean down there... this needs to be addressed or recalled!
I respect others opinions, but recalled, seriously, for what reason? This isn't a safety hazard in any way, it just means you might have to open a door and wipe it down with a wet rag from time to time.

Am I happy about it, heck no, I hope they find a fix of some sort, but I don't see this being any kind of recall, just doesn't seem like that kind of issue to me.

Phil
Old 02-27-15, 07:29 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt very much that Lexus will make retro-fit a change to existing vehicles to resolve this issue. Putting on my engineering hat, I can see two ways to resolve this issue. One is to redesign the plastic kick panel that runs the full length of the doors that would cover the bottom of the door sill. Or, make a flexible weatherstrip that could be attached to the bottom of the door sill where it would create a seal between the door and kick panel.

Maybe I should develop this product myself and sell it to you all as a aftermaket fix / enhancement!
Old 02-27-15, 09:52 AM
winst0n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philwojo
I respect others opinions, but recalled, seriously, for what reason? This isn't a safety hazard in any way, it just means you might have to open a door and wipe it down with a wet rag from time to time.

Am I happy about it, heck no, I hope they find a fix of some sort, but I don't see this being any kind of recall, just doesn't seem like that kind of issue to me.

Phil
I have never seen a car, even how dirty it is from the outside, that has a very dirty bottom door frame from the interior when opened and all 4 doors.. it's more obvious because if you have a new car with nice and clean interior and then just washed your car so it's all neat and shiny, you open the door and see very dirty bottom door inside .. it really stands out...

anyway, I was just exaggerating about the recall... I agree it's not safety hazard... but it's still a flaw... lexus should address that..
Old 02-27-15, 10:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winst0n
I have never seen a car, even how dirty it is from the outside, that has a very dirty bottom door frame from the interior when opened and all 4 doors.. it's more obvious because if you have a new car with nice and clean interior and then just washed your car so it's all neat and shiny, you open the door and see very dirty bottom door inside .. it really stands out...

anyway, I was just exaggerating about the recall... I agree it's not safety hazard... but it's still a flaw... lexus should address that..
Every car I have owned gets dirty in the door seals, in which the last thing I do is take my lower body part panel sponge and wipe those own and then quickly dry the inside surfaces of the doors in their entirety.

The requirement to wash your own car seems to be a real concern all over this forum (not just this model).
Old 02-27-15, 11:39 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Same issue here. And in addition, dirt accumulates in the crevices: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8896806

@rayzer57: I like the rubber seal idea. I'll look into that.
Quite surprised to see this design flaw in NX.

Ironically, the current RX has a similar interface treatment between the rear wheel well and the rear door. Yet I don't recall any dirt or slush accumulation issue -- I would have noticed it as I power wash the door gaps frequently. Judging from your picture in the other thread and the construction of my RX, the problem does do with inadequate plastic cladding in the rear door (the area where it interfaces with the rear wheel well) --- RX has extra thick plastic cladding where NX doesn't. additional rubber seal i from rayzer57 is a great idea.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-28-15 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Poor Door Seal in NX - Causing snow to creep in between door and the frame?