NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Windshield washer adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 03:57 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Windshield washer adjustment?

Loving my NX so far, but have found an issue maybe someone will know how to deal with...

At speed it seems that the windshield washer isn't aimed very nicely - most of the fluid seems to spray too high (at a stop it seems fine to me). Is there a way to adjust this?

Although I'm generally a "handy kind of guy" around the house, I'm far from being an expert when it comes to cars (unlike many around here)!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 02-22-15, 06:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Nothing available from Lexus (or in the NX) that can allow the spray to be adjusted. Looks like the DIY in you may need to come out to solve this one.
Old 02-22-15, 07:20 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Hmmm...I seem to have read (regarding other Lexus models) that the old "straight pin in the hole" approach won't work? I'd be pissed if I messed it up by trying that!
Old 02-23-15, 05:05 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
Hmmm...I seem to have read (regarding other Lexus models) that the old "straight pin in the hole" approach won't work? I'd be pissed if I messed it up by trying that!
I had a problem with the spray hitting too low in moderate to the higher speeds in one of my RX's. I was told by my Lexus dealer there was no adjustment.
You would think there'd be a way!
Old 02-23-15, 10:21 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's threads like this that make me love Lexus (and Toyota).
And don't get me wrong, I am completely interested in the OPs problem - and resolution.

It's just that I also think the term "Lexus Life problems" should become common parlance. Much like how people often say "First World problems!" right after they've caught themselves getting annoyed - such as if their smartphone fails to transfer a payment (while simultaneously GPS mapping, playing a song, and downloading a movie). Or their motion-sensitive soap dispenser dispenses a little too much soap.

Lexus Owners. Always remember those less fortunate than you are.
Or indeed, those with nothing.
Because somewhere out there, on a Range Rover forum...

"My new Range Rover Sport has sunk on one side, and it seems the air suspension has gone... dealer tells me it will cost $1700!!"

Of course, I just made that story up. Or did I? Because you know it's probably happening to someone. Quote: "The thing was listing to one side like a Russian trawler coming back from restricted fishing waters. Right then, I knew my warranty costs were about to surpass a used Honda."

But back to the matter at hand. I believe we are discussing the sub-optimum angle of our windscreen washer squirters (whilst driving). And how to improve this

DB

Last edited by dunebuggy; 02-24-15 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 06:24 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Dunebuggy, I appreciate your humor. But I do get tired of the fallacy of relative privation arguments that seem to be all the rage of late.

I'm not "pissed" nor "angry" nor even "irritated" that the washers don't spray in just the right place when I'm tooling along at 85MPH. I mean, I can slow down if the windshield is so dirty that the situation has become hazardous.

I only wanted to know if there was an easy way to adjust them. If there isn't, then c'est la vie.
Old 02-24-15, 06:45 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Modern cars do not allow you to have the flexiblity like older cars. I remember using a pin to move the sprayers on my 1991 accord.

The best you can do is change pumps on your sprayers. Perhaps lower head pump would help bring down the spray at higher speeds, my concern is that it won't spray high enough at low speed then.

Would be interesting to come up with a dual pump system though in which you could choose which pump was spraying.
Old 02-24-15, 11:31 AM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunebuggy, I appreciate your humor. But I do get tired of the fallacy of relative privation arguments that seem to be all the rage of late.
I'm not "pissed" nor "angry" nor even "irritated" that the washers don't spray in just the right place when I'm tooling along at 85MPH. I mean, I can slow down if the windshield is so dirty that the situation has become hazardous.
I only wanted to know if there was an easy way to adjust them. If there isn't, then c'est la vie.
I think you've taken it (slightly) the wrong way Was not intending to diminish the issue - on the contrary. I was pointing out how great it is that a topic like this should get raised. When the owners of certain other brands likely have their hands full dealing with catastrophic breakdowns.

I fail at humour. As you were!

DB.
Old 02-24-15, 04:20 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
I think you've taken it (slightly) the wrong way Was not intending to diminish the issue - on the contrary. I was pointing out how great it is that a topic like this should get raised. When the owners of certain other brands likely have their hands full dealing with catastrophic breakdowns.

I fail at humour. As you were!

DB.
No nastiness intended on my side. Your additional point is well taken.
Old 02-24-15, 04:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No nastiness intended on my side. Your additional point is well taken.
It might not hurt to bring it in and ask the dealer if there is a fix or readjustment available. Different dealers sometimes come up with different results. It seems really strange that a nozzle like this isn't adjustable.
Old 02-24-15, 06:13 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It might not hurt to bring it in and ask the dealer if there is a fix or readjustment available. Different dealers sometimes come up with different results. It seems really strange that a nozzle like this isn't adjustable.
I'll do exactly this at my 5000-mile visit, which should be in a few weeks.