NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Nx 200t awd vs fwd??

Old 02-02-15, 06:57 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NX Non-F Sport - AWD

We are about to pull the trigger on the order, after 2 rounds of test drive; mostly due to unknown drive experience of a non-F Sport AWD, all dealerships here do no have non-F sport AWD.

I am a big fan of AWD, but am unsure of the drive experience. For some reasons, it always give me a safer feeling, although I live in the south where we will see snow for maybe several days in a year.

Could you please help me out here, I have some questions:

1. The salesman told me that non-F sport AWD and FWD drives the same because only the car will be in FWD mode, unless it detects a 'slippery' condition, then up to 50% of the torque will be transferred. Is this correct?

2. In non-F sport, the wheel and suspension on FWD is the same as AWD. The F-sport has sportier wheel and suspension feel, that my wife does not like.

3. Is AWD really safer than FWD in a snowy road condition? Does it make a difference? I wonder if I should go ahead and take the FWD from the lot, rather than order and wait for 120 days....tough decision.

sorry for the long post. certainly thanks for any input.
Old 02-02-15, 07:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats on moving forward with the NX!

1. In a straight line with no slippage, 100% of the power is to the front wheels. If slippage is detected, up to 50% is sent to the rear wheels. During spirited driving around the corners, power to the rear may be applied if the vehicle's turn is wider than the driver's input. You can read more about it here:

2. AWD vs FWD = same suspension

3. AWD is "safer" than FWD in limited acceleration-based situations. For instance, if you're stopped at an intersection and you see a car sliding towards you from your side or rear, you can accelerate out of harm's way more quickly in snow than with FWD. However, under braking conditions in a straight line or in the corners, AWD and FWD are arguably the same since the grip is all on the tires.

An advantage to the FWD is the slightly better fuel economy due to the 140 or so pounds savings which also translates to a slightly more nimble feel, but at the expense of a slightly slower 0.2 s slower 0-60 mph time (oddly enough).

Another advantage is you can likely get a better deal with a (FWD) model on the lot than have the dealer order one, not to mention the $1400 savings over the AWD.

A disadvantage to FWD is torque steer and wheel slippage on take off. This is only a problem if you have a heavy foot.

Of course, in Canada, I'd get the AWD since we have snow here 4-5 months of the year. In fact, all NXs (and RXs) are only available in AWD. If I were in your shoes, considering that snow is barely existent, I can get the hot new NX tomorrow vs in 4 months, and benefit from the upfront and fuel savings, I'd go with the FWD. Of course, if you're an aggressive driver, the AWD would better suit you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-02-15 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 07:41 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats on moving forward with the NX!

1. In a straight line with no slippage, 100% of the power is to the front wheels. If slippage is detected, up to 50% is sent to the rear wheels. During spirited driving around the corners, power to the rear may be applied if the vehicle's turn is wider than the driver's input. You can read more about it here:

2. AWD vs FWD = same suspension

3. AWD is "safer" than FWD in limited acceleration-based situations. For instance, if you're stopped at an intersection and you see a car sliding towards you from your side or rear, you can accelerate out of harm's way more quickly in snow than with FWD. However, under braking conditions in a straight line or in the corners, AWD and FWD are arguably the same since the grip is all on the tires.

An advantage to the FWD is the slightly better fuel economy due to the 140 or so pounds savings which also translates to a slightly more nimble feel, but at the expense of a slightly slower 0.2 s slower 0-60 mph time (oddly enough).

Another advantage is you can likely get a better deal with a (FWD) model on the lot than have the dealer order one, not to mention the $1400 savings over the AWD.

A disadvantage to FWD is torque steer and wheel slippage on take off. This is only a problem if you have a heavy foot.

Of course, in Canada, I'd get the AWD since we have snow here 4-5 months of the year. In fact, all NXs (and RXs) are only available in AWD. If I were in your shoes, considering that snow is barely existent, I can get the hot new NX tomorrow vs in 4 months, and benefit from the upfront and fuel savings, I'd go with the FWD.

Hope this helps!
Corrado
First of all: kudos on all the valuable input in numerous threads. Thank you for the good info.

i hope to clarify your response in #2: the F sport-AWD will drive different than non-F sport-AWD, because of the suspension and tighter steering wheel, is that correct? Although the AWD and FWD drives the same in same non-f sport.

Pardon if this is a dumb question.
Old 02-02-15, 08:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

You're welcome and glad to see this forum is of value to you!

#2 - Yes, you have the right idea. Suspension is a little stiffer in the F Sport (AWD or FWD) vs a non-F Sport (AWD or FWD). However, steering is the same between F Sport and non-F Sport. Steering can be tightened (firmer input) under the "Sport" driving mode, both identical in F Sport and non-F Sport.

In short the F Sport is an interior/exterior appearance and suspension package. Powertrain (transmission/engine) whether AWD or FWD is the same on the F Sport and non-F Sport.

AWD F Sport and FWD F Sport will drive the same compared to each other under normal dry driving conditions.
Similarly non-F Sport AWD and non-F Sport FWD will drive the same compared to each other under normal dry driving conditions.

It's wordy but hoping it's clear? If not that's ok, ask.
Old 02-03-15, 10:42 AM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

You're welcome and glad to see this forum is of value to you!

#2 - Yes, you have the right idea. Suspension is a little stiffer in the F Sport (AWD or FWD) vs a non-F Sport (AWD or FWD). However, steering is the same between F Sport and non-F Sport. Steering can be tightened (firmer input) under the "Sport" driving mode, both identical in F Sport and non-F Sport.

In short the F Sport is an interior/exterior appearance and suspension package. Powertrain (transmission/engine) whether AWD or FWD is the same on the F Sport and non-F Sport.

AWD F Sport and FWD F Sport will drive the same compared to each other under normal dry driving conditions.
Similarly non-F Sport AWD and non-F Sport FWD will drive the same compared to each other under normal dry driving conditions.

It's wordy but hoping it's clear? If not that's ok, ask.
Got it. I understand it now. Thank you again.
Old 02-08-15, 10:35 AM
ChrisJ74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JUST TO CLARIFY: F-sport different modes don't actually change throttle response or curves?

MY dealer just sold me on that. I haven't bought yet...
Old 02-08-15, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i dont think they drive the same though... in Rav4 reviews where they compared FWD and AWD, they said they drive pretty different. I would recommend to everyone to try the version they are buying.
Old 02-08-15, 03:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by ChrisJ74
JUST TO CLARIFY: F-sport different modes don't actually change throttle response or curves?

MY dealer just sold me on that. I haven't bought yet...

Yes, the modes between Eco, Normal, and Sport alter throttle/transmission shifts and steering input with Sport mode being the most aggressive. However, this drive controller system having these three options is identical in the regular 200t, though paddle shifters are only on the F Sport.

Same with the IS and IS F Sport (without AVS). for instance.
Old 02-08-15, 03:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think they drive the same though... in Rav4 reviews where they compared FWD and AWD, they said they drive pretty different. I would recommend to everyone to try the version they are buying.
On the track, there's a slightly more noticeable difference due to differences in weight, weight distribution, power delivery around the corners (AWD better here), but under "normal" dry city stop/go driving hard to notice the difference.
Old 02-10-15, 04:31 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper01
We are about to pull the trigger on the order, after 2 rounds of test drive; mostly due to unknown drive experience of a non-F Sport AWD, all dealerships here do no have non-F sport AWD.
I inquired about a AWD 200t and was told South East Lexus does not deliver them to this region. If I wanted one I would have to special order one and wait 4 months.
Old 02-11-15, 06:58 PM
Camper01
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm. I live in southeast. My dealer will charge 600 to deliver a AWD. Maybe you need to check out other dealerships.
Old 02-11-15, 11:19 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by Camper01
Hmmm. I live in southeast. My dealer will charge 600 to deliver a AWD. Maybe you need to check out other dealerships.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm guessing that your dealer will swap a car with another dealer out of the region and have it trucked to you for a cool $600? Is that a good deal?
Old 02-12-15, 06:30 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm guessing that your dealer will swap a car with another dealer out of the region and have it trucked to you for a cool $600? Is that a good deal?
Yea I just did this to get our 300h here in the Chicagoland area. They have to swap one of their current cars with another dealership for the car you want. Then there is the cost to flatbed the cars between the two dealerships. The dealers will usually pass on that cost to the customer. In our case we were quoted $500 for it and that is what we had to pay, even though the dealer said it ended up costing them $800 to do it.

Phil
Old 02-12-15, 08:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by philwojo
Yea I just did this to get our 300h here in the Chicagoland area. They have to swap one of their current cars with another dealership for the car you want. Then there is the cost to flatbed the cars between the two dealerships. The dealers will usually pass on that cost to the customer. In our case we were quoted $500 for it and that is what we had to pay, even though the dealer said it ended up costing them $800 to do it.

Phil
First I've heard of dealers charging for dealer swaps. In fact I've been dealing on a NX recently and my dealer didn't have any in inventory I wanted. To make the sale they offered to find the exact one I wanted at another dealer at no cost.
Old 02-12-15, 09:08 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I had 2 dealers I was working with, one more than the other, but they both told me the same thing that it would be at my cost.

I think it has to do with just how popular this car is and how hard it is to find at all, especially the 300h version. This was for my wife and we didn't want to wait any more, so the $500 was worth it to us. Obviously we wish we didn't have to pay it though.

Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nx 200t awd vs fwd??