Nx 200t awd vs fwd??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 09:28 PM
PiggyP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nx 200t awd vs fwd??

Hello,

I'm new to this website, so I'm not sure whether I'm in the right forum to ask this question but... anyways

So, I'm looking to buy Lexus NX 200t as my first car and as a college student, I have limited budget ($37,000 not including tax, destination and etc)

This brings me to a choice between decently equipped NX 200t FWD (probably with comfort package and navigation package) or base NX 200t AWD....

I live in Pennsylvania so snow is definitely a concern for me, but I've also heard that AWD system in RAV4 and Lexus NX is not that good (both in bad weather situations and in improving handling)...

So, what do you guys think? I should go buy NX 200t FWD or NX 200t AWD?
Old 02-16-15, 04:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PiggyP
Hello,

I'm new to this website, so I'm not sure whether I'm in the right forum to ask this question but... anyways

So, I'm looking to buy Lexus NX 200t as my first car and as a college student, I have limited budget ($37,000 not including tax, destination and etc)

This brings me to a choice between decently equipped NX 200t FWD (probably with comfort package and navigation package) or base NX 200t AWD....

I live in Pennsylvania so snow is definitely a concern for me, but I've also heard that AWD system in RAV4 and Lexus NX is not that good (both in bad weather situations and in improving handling)...

So, what do you guys think? I should go buy NX 200t FWD or NX 200t AWD?
Please define "I've heard its not that good". Was it an automotive article, or your cousin's uncle's brother?
Old 02-16-15, 05:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

PiggyP, welcome to CL and the NX forum! Hopefully the info in this site can help get you to make an informed decision.

To Swacer's point, be careful what you read or hear out there. There can simply be haters of the brand knocking down the AWD systems of Toyota/Lexus when in fact the net result in city conditions is the same, for instance, SEE VIDEO HERE

Since money is an issue in spending the additional $1400 (and 1 less mpg) for the Active Torque Control AWD, ask your self these:

1. How quickly does my city clear the snow or salt the roads?
2. What is my commute like - which of these cleared or snowed-on roads do I take?
3. Will I be purchasing winter tires/rims ($1K) regardless? NOTE, a FWD vehicle with winter tires has been shown in tests to be as good in acceleration traction, yet far better in braking/cornering than AWD with all-seasons.
4. Do I have a heavy foot? Like for like, FWD will have significantly more wheel slippage and torque steer making it harder to control.
5. Do I drive aggressively in corners accelerating out of them (in dry weather)? Here AWD transfers power to the outer wheels for better cornering in this condition.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-16-15, 05:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where in PA are you?

I got AWD and I'm near Pittsburgh, simply because my wife's '15 IS350 with AWD has been flawless through this winter. Furthermore, I need a reliable daily driver during the winter that can get me through anything as my other car hibernates all winter.

I think you could get away with FWD in Pittsburgh/Philly ect. But if you're anywhere near the Poconos or Wilkes-Barre, then AWD might become a must.

A FWD with snow tires and a patient driver can equal an AWD driver on all seasons with less patience.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-16-15 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 06:13 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have AWD. It definitely came in handy on Monday when I was driving from MD to VA in the snow we had.

Parts of the DC beltway are curvy and banked. There was probably close to an inch of packed snow and cars started sliding on the banked sections. Whenever I started feeling as if I was sliding I would press the diff lock button and within a few seconds I was straightened out.
Old 02-20-15, 01:33 PM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I grew up in the mountains in Pennsylvania during the time that all cars were rear-wheel drive, and NOT AWD...and you had to put snow tires on the rear...sometimes the snow tires with the studs on them too. You still slipped and slid all over the place...spun around on the road, and ended up in a ditch or two. One of my brothers lived in Alaska where it often got so cold that even salt would not melt ice/snow on the roads. The trick to getting traction on ice was spraying the tread on your tires with bleach. Of course, the downside to this was, bleach eats away at rubber, so your tires fell apart a lot faster.

In the mountains in Pennsylvania, people opt for AWD when available in a vehicle, but many do fine with just FWD.