NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Ownership Experience - 200t Premium vs Regular Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 03:20 AM
lsft
Instructor

Received 517 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
@lsft, I've tried 94 from Petro Canada once in the NX and it felt slightly more lively, but to be honest, not sure if the placebo effect came into play.
@corradoMR2, thanks that was the answer I was looking for. I just put in 94 this week and same thing.. Felt slightly more, but not sure if it's worth the extra few cents per litre. Thanks!
Old 05-02-15, 07:03 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Wrong, timing is pulled as result of knocking being sensed by the knock sensors.

Lower octane fuel will increase likely hood of detonation, which in turn will increase knocking, to be detected by the knock sensors, and the ECU will then pull back timing to reduce or eliminate the knock. Once that timing is established, the engine will run happily, aside from the side effects of reduced performance.

The concern comes from the fact that the ECU always attempts to get the most optimal timing (based on fuel tables for 91 octane) by advancing timing, sensing the knock and pulling it back. That cycle is repeated over and over again, and in ideal scenario, the knock are few and far in between. What really happens is that aggressive drivers push the engine hard with sudden acceleration, and the knock frequency increases and volume increases before the ECU pulls back timing, thus leading to slow but increasingly steady damage. This is why you will hear of people never having issues using lower octane fuel, because they don't push their engine hard enough for knocking to be an issue, where as others have issues since they push their engines to the knock level and that can happen even with the right fuel if running the engine at redline consistently.

If
Because this is Toyota's first turbo offering, will your example that non-aggressive and easy on the gas pedal drivers refueling with 87 Octane not also have much of a knock /engine damage issue?
Old 05-02-15, 07:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
@corradoMR2, thanks that was the answer I was looking for. I just put in 94 this week and same thing.. Felt slightly more, but not sure if it's worth the extra few cents per litre. Thanks!
A tip; fill a little more than half your tank with 94, the remainder with 87 for the combined octane of 91 @ the price of 89. You'll save 8-9 cents/liter which adds up.
Old 05-02-15, 07:32 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by internalau
Because this is Toyota's first turbo offering, will your example that non-aggressive and easy on the gas pedal drivers refueling with 87 Octane not also have much of a knock /engine damage issue?
In general a boosted engine is more likely to knock due to the boost. I would stick with premium on the NX
Old 05-03-15, 05:54 AM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A tip; fill a little more than half your tank with 94, the remainder with 87 for the combined octane of 91 @ the price of 89. You'll save 8-9 cents/liter which adds up.
Will osmosis/diffusion, over a few hours, result in a 91 blend or will that consists of two distinct layers? Gasoline prices are almost back up to where they were before oil prices tanked.

I doubt my wife will bother with that strategy to save some $, haha.

Originally Posted by My0gr81
In general a boosted engine is more likely to knock due to the boost. I would stick with premium on the NX
Got it. Thanks My0gr81.
Old 05-03-15, 06:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by internalau
Will osmosis/diffusion, over a few hours, result in a 91 blend or will that consists of two distinct layers? Gasoline prices are almost back up to where they were before oil prices tanked.

I doubt my wife will bother with that strategy to save some $, haha.
Articles publicly available show that 89 for example is blended from 87 and 91. I wonder if the select Petro Canada stations with 94 have 91 actually blended by 87 and 94 . In any case, I feel no difference in performance from "my own blending" vs 91 directly from the pump not just for the NX, but IS and past cars. In warmer months, I take the extra minute to do two transactions at the pump as it saves a few dollars every time, but in the winter I pump 91 directly as I prefer not to freeze my rear!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-03-15 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 07:09 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Articles publicly available show that 89 for example is blended from 87 and 91. I wonder if the select Petro Canada stations with 94 have 91 actually blended by 87 and 94 . In any case, I feel no difference in performance from "my own blending" vs 91 directly from the pump not just for the NX, but IS and past cars. In warmer months, I take the extra minute to do two transactions at the pump as it saves a few dollars every time, but in the winter I pump 91 directly as I prefer not to freeze my rear!
I have a family member who owns two gas stations. They only order regular and premium from the fuel terminal. Anything in between is blended by the pumps.
Old 05-04-15, 02:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
I have a family member who owns two gas stations. They only order regular and premium from the fuel terminal. Anything in between is blended by the pumps.
My dad owns a gas station as well and we only order regular and premium. Mid grade is blended by the pumps. If im not mistaken its 30% premium and 70% regular when blended for mid grade.
Old 08-18-15, 09:10 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwl7698
just wanted to share a couple of screen shots from the manuals on the NX 200t and 300h.

200t -

300h

seems to be a lot of confusion as to what fuel should be used in the NX. hope this clears it up.
Yes, this chart does clear things up. Thanks for posting!!
Old 08-19-15, 08:09 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is interesting is the stations by me typically have 3 grades (87, 89, and 93). Some will have 92 instead of 93 in order to save a few cents a gallon. Do any cars actually require 89?

When traveling in Hawaii I saw most stations with 92 instead of 93 for the highest grade.

And some Sunoco stations will have 4 grades with 97, 89, 91, and 93.
Old 08-19-15, 09:15 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Since my car has a "Premium Fuel Required" sticker on the refuel door and says the same thing in the OM, I will use premium fuel in it. The sales person said that the dealership only stocks 87 octane fuel and that's what they use in all the Lexus vehicles they sell. If that's true, my car had 87 octane for the first 4550 miles as it was a dealer demo.
Old 08-19-15, 09:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

92 will still meet the requirement of premium fuel. However, in the even that you are tuned to 93, and only 91 or 92 are available (which is the case for a 2013 GT-R), you can always fill the tank, and then put in an octane booster. That will usually put you within tolerance, however, this is a debated topic.

My Camaro is tuned for 93, and if I go to 91, you can feel it in the butt dyno and the car won't pull as hard. I'll just get an octane booster or put a gallon of 100 in to balance it out.
Old 08-20-15, 08:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
92 will still meet the requirement of premium fuel. However, in the even that you are tuned to 93, and only 91 or 92 are available (which is the case for a 2013 GT-R), you can always fill the tank, and then put in an octane booster. That will usually put you within tolerance, however, this is a debated topic.

My Camaro is tuned for 93, and if I go to 91, you can feel it in the butt dyno and the car won't pull as hard. I'll just get an octane booster or put a gallon of 100 in to balance it out.
Do you feel a difference going much higher than 93 with the additive? Have you tried it? (Camaro and/or NX)
Old 08-20-15, 09:00 AM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Prius, of course it is non turbo. I have used 87 octane for most of the past 5 years and almost 90,000 miles. I put in Octane booster every 5000 or so miles.
But during the summer when the temp averages around 90 degrees F, I would hear knocking under hard acceleration - which in itself is an Oxymoron. It only happens when the weather is very hot and the car is struggling to accelerate. So I fill up with 92 octane for 1 tank, then the knocking goes away. When the weather becomes cooler, which is low 80s, I go back to 87, no problem.
Its been stated here many time that turbo cars should use the higher octane fuel to prevent detonation of the engine.

I ordered the hybrid NX300, I intend to do the same as the prius. Use 87 primarily then go to 92 if needed. If I had the 200T, with the higher compression ratio when the turbo kicks in, I would use 92 and above only.
Old 08-20-15, 10:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you feel a difference going much higher than 93 with the additive? Have you tried it? (Camaro and/or NX)
I have 93 at my local gas stations, so I never put anything different into the NX. As for the Camaro, I have mixed upward to ~96. I find that the car doesn't back fire as much and feels more even when pulling since its on an overly rich tune. It just overall runs better.

Originally Posted by phatm3
I have a 2010 Prius, of course it is non turbo. I have used 87 octane for most of the past 5 years and almost 90,000 miles. I put in Octane booster every 5000 or so miles.
But during the summer when the temp averages around 90 degrees F, I would hear knocking under hard acceleration - which in itself is an Oxymoron. It only happens when the weather is very hot and the car is struggling to accelerate. So I fill up with 92 octane for 1 tank, then the knocking goes away. When the weather becomes cooler, which is low 80s, I go back to 87, no problem.
Its been stated here many time that turbo cars should use the higher octane fuel to prevent detonation of the engine.

I ordered the hybrid NX300, I intend to do the same as the prius. Use 87 primarily then go to 92 if needed. If I had the 200T, with the higher compression ratio when the turbo kicks in, I would use 92 and above only.
I suppose you can do that if you are under the impression that you are smarter than the engine designers who required you to run premium...

Quick Reply: Ownership Experience - 200t Premium vs Regular Fuel