NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX strut problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 04:43 PM
mbchitkh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX strut problem

Hi. I've had the NX200t for a little over a month now. Recently driving on the intestate I've noticed the car pulling to the right and a popping noise in the drivers side wheel area when I first start out in the morning when I turn.

I took it into the dealer Saturday and they fixed the alignment but they told me today that it could be a strut issue causing the popping noise. So it's still in the shop and in still driving the loaner.

Has anyone else had this problem? The guy mentioned there were other reports and they are waiting for Lexus to decide how to proceed.

Thanks
Old 02-24-15, 04:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mbchitkh
Hi. I've had the NX200t for a little over a month now. Recently driving on the intestate I've noticed the car pulling to the right and a popping noise in the drivers side wheel area when I first start out in the morning when I turn.

I took it into the dealer Saturday and they fixed the alignment but they told me today that it could be a strut issue causing the popping noise. So it's still in the shop and in still driving the loaner.

Has anyone else had this problem? The guy mentioned there were other reports and they are waiting for Lexus to decide how to proceed.

Thanks

I notice the same small thump / popping noise when starting off and making a turn, but no driving issues whatsoever. With the IS, I had a similar "issue" when the car was new and they determined the noise was from the transfer case or differential in the front, but was not a safety or of mechanical concern. In short, after 2-3k km, the noise disappeared and has not happened ever since. Not sure, but possibly the internals needed to get lubed and "broken in".

I'll keep an eye out for the noise and report if anything changes. I'm at 1700 km.
Old 02-24-15, 08:34 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do notice the popping noise on front drivers side wheel area when first starting out in the morning but don't hear it again all day. Usually on my first Right turn. I'm at 3400 miles and haven't thought too much about it really.
Old 02-25-15, 03:27 PM
mbchitkh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cb80923
I do notice the popping noise on front drivers side wheel area when first starting out in the morning but don't hear it again all day. Usually on my first Right turn. I'm at 3400 miles and haven't thought too much about it really.
I mainly took it there to get the alignment fixed because it was way off and mentioned to them about the noise. But what you describe is exactly how mine was acting (only 1600 miles). It's not a safety issue, but they are keeping it until Lexus tells them how to fix it.

I'll give an update when I hear back from them. Hopefully it'll be sooner than later because they gave me a Hybrid RX as a loaner.
Old 03-14-15, 08:51 AM
mbchitkh
Driver School Candidate

Update on my car.

They had the Lexus Engineer come in twice to look at it to figure out the popping noise. They couldn't pin point the issue. They even tried stuff on another NX they had on the lot that was doing it too. So they are going to replace the whole strut assembly to see if that will take care of it. It's going to take 1 to 2 weeks for the part to come in because its back ordered due to it being such a new car.

Has anyone had any experience with Lexus with a brand new car being in the shop for weeks and weeks? Just looking to see if I can be compensated for the time I haven't been in the car, yet still paying for it.
Old 03-14-15, 01:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Update on my car.

They had the Lexus Engineer come in twice to look at it to figure out the popping noise. They couldn't pin point the issue. They even tried stuff on another NX they had on the lot that was doing it too. So they are going to replace the whole strut assembly to see if that will take care of it. It's going to take 1 to 2 weeks for the part to come in because its back ordered due to it being such a new car.

Has anyone had any experience with Lexus with a brand new car being in the shop for weeks and weeks? Just looking to see if I can be compensated for the time I haven't been in the car, yet still paying for it.
Approach the Service Manager respectfully and he can surely give you some perks like a free lube service.
Old 03-14-15, 03:45 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Update on my car.

My car has been in for repairs for over 30 days during its warranty period. At all times a brand new and fully fuelled with toll tag car was provided. This was particularly over a period in Australia where gas was about $8 a gallon and I burn through $20 of tolls a day. I told the dealer about my toll costs and asked what fuel to refuel and his response was 'no worries, on the house'.
That's about $200 a week in running costs while my car was fussed over and didn't build up any k's.
I'm sorry to hear about your car but Lexus will fix it. It will last 20 years and resale will be great. You have a premium SUV as replacement for your entry level CUV. They will grovel at your feet to ensure you are happy.
Why the talk of compensation? I struggle to understand Americans sometimes.