NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remove the smartphone charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 07:12 AM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Remove the smartphone charger

Anyone know how to remove the smartphone charger. Came with my NX but do not want it in the way. Cannot just Velcro to top as it slides. Dealer said they were not allowed to disconnect it at the dealership??? What a crock.
Old 01-29-15, 07:42 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness clip... or cut and cap

Originally Posted by jalford999
Anyone know how to remove the smartphone charger. Came with my NX but do not want it in the way. Cannot just Velcro to top as it slides. Dealer said they were not allowed to disconnect it at the dealership??? What a crock.
1. if you take a look there is a wire bundle runnining to the back of the console. I do not know how to take that apart but if you figure it out then I am sure it is just a harness clip.
2. turn it side ways and stick in down in the console...
3. Fasten a string/wire between the charger and console lid so it will lift up when you open the lid(same principle as the tongue cover in back).
4. if you never want to use it again then just cut the wires, cap then and shove them back down the opening in the console...

Do you not liek the convenience of charging your phone?? JW

Last edited by Mehul1456; 01-29-15 at 07:50 PM. Reason: new idea
Old 01-30-15, 04:29 PM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

I looked last nite and even took 5 screws out but the thing is still attached in back. Will take it to a tech guy next week when I get my direct connect wire installed for my V! radar detector. I will not use it for charging at all. My phones always last for about 3 to 5 days no more than I use them but yes I do use my center console.
Old 02-02-15, 02:45 PM
PsiStar

This is the Qi?

I'll probably buy it! Too bad you are in NC as I would happily work with you to try to figure out a non destructive way.
Old 02-06-15, 11:46 AM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Great news: My Lexus dealer in Durham NC is going to take mine out free and pay me for it since another client wants one installed in their new NX. As I still say, if you are in the area the Durham dealership is one you need to give a chance.
Old 03-22-15, 12:24 AM
Auntcoco
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where I can get case for the QI? I have iPhone 6 so it doesn't fit the charger
Old 03-22-15, 03:37 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered this one for the 6 and it works well:

http://www.mobilefun.com/50526-flexi...case-white.htm
Old 03-22-15, 06:16 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenK
Ordered this one for the 6 and it works well:

http://www.mobilefun.com/50526-flexi...case-white.htm
I have the same one and it works great. I have also purchased a Qi-powered windshield mount (so I can use Waze), and that also works great.

http://www.650studios.com/Qi-Wireles...ag0010-blk.htm
Old 03-22-15, 08:27 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Good idea!!
Old 04-30-15, 10:09 PM
rednxnca
Driver School Candidate

Default Mystery solved?

Has anyone figured out how to remove the Qi charger _physically_ from the center console. Of all options, I can't understand why Lexus made this a factory-installed one... Help!
Old 04-30-15, 10:12 PM
rednxnca
Driver School Candidate

Default Result?

Originally Posted by jalford999
Great news: My Lexus dealer in Durham NC is going to take mine out free and pay me for it since another client wants one installed in their new NX. As I still say, if you are in the area the Durham dealership is one you need to give a chance.
How did this turn out? Was the uninstall clean? Any negative consequences? (Loose parts, strange gaping holes, etc.)
Old 05-04-15, 01:59 PM
Auntcoco
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered the case. So when it comes I just put that on the phone then when I need to charge press the on button on QI in car then lay phone down?
Old 05-04-15, 09:43 PM
VipVip
Rookie

Originally Posted by Auntcoco
I just ordered the case. So when it comes I just put that on the phone then when I need to charge press the on button on QI in car then lay phone down?
I guess you can turn the coin holder in the middle console into a qi-wireless charger. I have a desktop qi for my home, This wont work in the car, it defnitely moves too much. even when I put the desktop ont he coin holder. its a no go.

I dont want to use a winshield holder, still have the wires...

I was looking into this, but not sure I like it... or maybe I should just wait
Amazon.com: Forrader® C3 Qi Car Charger Cup Holder Wireless Charger for Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini, HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Blackberry Z30, Samsung Galaxy, Google, LG, iPhone 4/4S 5/5S/5C and Other Qi-Enabled Phones, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Forrader® C3 Qi Car Charger Cup Holder Wireless Charger for Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920/928, MOTO Droid Maxx/Droid Mini, HTC Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Blackberry Z30, Samsung Galaxy, Google, LG, iPhone 4/4S 5/5S/5C and Other Qi-Enabled Phones, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 05-04-15, 09:45 PM
VipVip
Rookie

after looking at this again. You might actually be able to put this inside the middle console. Just maybe. and you would still have both your cupholders and no annoying wires.
Old 05-08-15, 01:27 PM
Auntcoco
Driver School Candidate

@vip vip...I'm confused. My NX has the QI charger...why would I need that cup holder?

Quick Reply: Remove the smartphone charger