NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 Lexus NX vs 2016 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 04:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
From my experience, the RX and IS have more readily-available V6 power than the NX's 2L Turbo. What this means is power delivery is instantaneous the moment you depress the accelerator pedal at any speed. In fact, the 2.5L V6 in the IS feels "torquier" than the RXs and far more than the NX's at initial throttle input, but after that half second or so under heavy throttle, the 2L Turbo sings to a hushed tune and pulls very strongly.

In short, the RDX will have the upper hand with its V6 power and expected similar fuel economy over the NX's.
butt dyno lol

I can't seem to find dyno curves online.

Last edited by Swacer; 02-03-15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 06:54 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd love to know people's decisions three months later. It seem my wife is not interested in a RAV4 so we will likely cross-shop between these two vehicles when the time comes.

I can wait to find out if the inexpensive safety packages will be made available in the 2016 NX.
http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/compa...afety-packages
Old 05-03-15, 05:10 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

In my opinion, Lexus reliability alone would keep me with an NX over the Acura. I test drove an RDX and MDX before making my decision to purchase the Highlander in 2014, and while the Highlander isn't considered the Luxury brand, I preferred it over the Acura. I have read reviews lately where folks were very dis-satisfied with the Acura, especially the MDX. The new model RDX might make a difference, but I would say that Lexus would still be the front runner as far as reliability. I feel the NX is a piece of art that looks so different from the other vehicles out there, and hopefully it will stay unique for sometime. My 2 cents for the day ..have a great one !
Old 05-03-15, 05:51 AM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your input Ronn. Have a good day yourself.
Old 05-04-15, 06:51 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by internalau
Thanks for your input Ronn. Have a good day yourself.
Thank you sir, and best wishes on your auto shopping....tis fun and confusing at times
Old 07-10-16, 08:54 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Digging up an old thread... but it is relevant to me now.

I went to do a test drive yesterday on both vehicles. The 2016 Acura RDX AWD Advance package and 2 separate Lexus dealer 2015 NX200t base. First off, at the Acura dealer I was treated very well and it was welcoming. At the first Lexus dealer, I walked in and nobody really wanted to help. I asked to test drive an NX F-Sport and they gave me base model and didn't even let me take it on the highway which was a couple blocks away. I was allowed to take it for pretty much around a block of streets.

The Acura dealer on the other hand, allowed me to do my test drive my way and I appreciated that. Fast forward to the next Lexus dealer, I walked in to a bunch of salesmen just all grouped up chatting away with each other until I got to the desk is when one of them bothered to ask me if he can help me.

I was not happy with the first test drive, so I specifically asked before I even got in the car, if they will let me do highway, as 25mph (Thanks DeBlasio) doing local really isn't testing much IMO. This place also didn't have an F-Sport for testing. But since they let me do highway, my wife said I should do it.

Anyways, right now after the drives, my wife and I are siding with the Acura. The RDX V6 did not lack any power and it was comfortable and quiet. I didn't feel the crappy NYC roads and when I was at a stop, I couldn't feel car at all. Getting the Advance package also meant that I have EVERY OPTION available, which is a HUGE plus. The NX on the other hand, I felt the bumps of the road, it was noisier than the RDX and I kind of have to step on it a bit to move the car. And this is just a pet peeve that I have personally. Lexus is a luxury car right? Why the hell is a power rear liftgate an OPTION? My friend's Toyota Matrix has a manual gate and I understand why. My RX330 has a power rear liftgate. I know the NX is the lower model, but it's just a little dumb on Lexus' part.

Side note, I've been to Lexus dealers for 3 occasions now, are they all so bad with customer service?
Old 07-10-16, 09:25 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0

I went to do a test drive yesterday on both vehicles. The 2016 Acura RDX AWD Advance package and 2 separate Lexus dealer 2015 NX200t base. First off, at the Acura dealer I was treated very well and it was welcoming. At the first Lexus dealer, I walked in and nobody really wanted to help. I asked to test drive an NX F-Sport and they gave me base model and didn't even let me take it on the highway which was a couple blocks away. I was allowed to take it for pretty much around a block of streets.

The Acura dealer on the other hand, allowed me to do my test drive my way and I appreciated that. Fast forward to the next Lexus dealer, I walked in to a bunch of salesmen just all grouped up chatting away with each other until I got to the desk is when one of them bothered to ask me if he can help me.

I was not happy with the first test drive, so I specifically asked before I even got in the car, if they will let me do highway, as 25mph (Thanks DeBlasio) doing local really isn't testing much IMO. This place also didn't have an F-Sport for testing. But since they let me do highway, my wife said I should do it.

Anyways, right now after the drives, my wife and I are siding with the Acura. The RDX V6 did not lack any power and it was comfortable and quiet. I didn't feel the crappy NYC roads and when I was at a stop, I couldn't feel car at all. Getting the Advance package also meant that I have EVERY OPTION available, which is a HUGE plus. The NX on the other hand, I felt the bumps of the road, it was noisier than the RDX and I kind of have to step on it a bit to move the car. And this is just a pet peeve that I have personally. Lexus is a luxury car right? Why the hell is a power rear liftgate an OPTION? My friend's Toyota Matrix has a manual gate and I understand why. My RX330 has a power rear liftgate. I know the NX is the lower model, but it's just a little dumb on Lexus' part.

Side note, I've been to Lexus dealers for 3 occasions now, are they all so bad with customer service?

Pretty much the only reasons went with the NX over RDX is that I hate the incredibly bland interior of the Acura - it's barely discernible from a Honda - and Lexus reliability. Those were big enough for me to choose the NX, but otherwise pretty much all the specs are better on equivalent trims. Like you, I too can't believe how many things are options on a "luxury car".
Old 07-11-16, 01:51 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
Pretty much the only reasons went with the NX over RDX is that I hate the incredibly bland interior of the Acura - it's barely discernible from a Honda - and Lexus reliability. Those were big enough for me to choose the NX, but otherwise pretty much all the specs are better on equivalent trims. Like you, I too can't believe how many things are options on a "luxury car".
I agree with the interior. Actually my wife and I hated the RDX interior while we were looking at pictures and watching review videos. But once we saw it in person, sat inside and drove it, our views changed. We actually liked that it felt more spacious. But I'm not going to lie, I still prefer the NX interior. As for reliability, its a big selling point for me. My father had a Toyota that he ran to the ground and no big issues. I have a Honda Accord and its my father's beater now... its going on 200k+ miles with the original transmission. So I'm not too worried about Honda's reliability.

Originally Posted by Pinhead
I've been to a lot of car dealerships and Newport Lexus is by far the least accommodating dealership I've been to, and they keep calling it "world class" for some reason. They're not "horrible" in any way but it is the worst I've been to. My salesman was really good tho he was the only reason I ended up buying the car.

I especially don't like them for service, I get treated like I would fall for the "blinker fluid" when I probably know more about cars than their master tech..insulting.

I just finished the purchase on the Macan GTS and they even gave me a Macan Turbo to keep for a week when Lexus wouldn't even let me put too many miles on their precious 4-banger SUV.

So no, your experience of crap treatment at the Lexus dealership doesn't surprise me at all.
It is disappointing when you walk into a luxury car dealership and you're not welcomed by anyone. And I had to go look for someone, and when the salesman greets me, he doesn't even introduce himself or ask for my name or how I am doing. He begins with, you want to buy a car? Yes, I want to buy a car, but definitely not from you. Grats on the Macan. I would love to have one, but I don't think it is wise for my wife to drive that around, especially when she is just picking up driving again. Lol.
Old 07-11-16, 03:11 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Helping my friend find replacement for 2010 RX. Wants BMW, so we've been test driving 328, 340, and 435.
Also tried out the new A4. (Lexus doesn't have a car he is interested in)
It's amazing to me how difficult it is to get the attention of any salesman almost anywhere.
At one dealer we asked if "Tony" was on site. The guy said why don't you go inside and find out.
Geesh!
I have seen an exception at Santa Monica Lexus.
World class dealer exceeds expectations.
Old 07-11-16, 05:21 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

If you don't have a good Lexus dealer in your area you may have answered your own question. Honda/Acura also makes excellent cars so you can't hardly go wrong with Acura. We were also close to pulling the trigger on an RDX, but the threshhold was just as tall as our 2013 RX, which was a stretch for my wife.

As for the noise comment, we used a noise meter app on the phone (so not scientific) and the RDX averaged about 3 DB louder than the NX. The NX had Bridgestone tires and the RDX had Michelins, which I would have expected to be quieter. I guess my point here is that they are very similar and I suspect the tires have a great impact on the noise level.

In the end, the RDX had the technology package and actually had more of the features we were looking for at a lower price. It even included a leather interior. But since it didn't improve the step-in height, we ruled it out. Both brands have excellent dealerships in our area so that didn't really factor into our decision.

I don't know if any of that helps with your decision, but that shares some of the thinking that went into ours. Both are good cars for this price point / market and will serve you well. Since we have all work on our cars done at the dealer, I would personally rate the dealer as a factor in the decision as well and it sounds like your experience has shown them to be lacking.
Old 07-18-16, 01:41 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the opportunity to spend 4 hours in a new RDX quite recently. The experience reminded me about why I chose what I chose last year (an NX200t with the Luxury option). The V6 in the RDX is very nice. A solid choice (safe and conventional ... maybe too much so!) to be sure, but the NX edges it out in the following areas, IMHO:

1. Seat comfort -- the RDX has less thigh support because the bottom cushion is an inch shorter .. an old trick to make the interior appear to be more spacious.
2. The NX has a better sounding stereo (by a fair degree). And, the RDX hard drive setup is actually much less convenient to use in arranging one's music files than the usual Lexus USB jump drive setup (which can be organized easily using a PC).
3. The motorized power steering column adjustment makes finding the best personal driving position much easier and three settings can be stored for multiple drivers.
4. The RDX (and MDX) has a truly annoying and hyperactive lane departure warning system.
5. The NX is assembled with noticeably greater precision inside and out. Paint has a richer look with much more vibrancy and luster.

Neither vehicle is what I would call quiet, but neither is what I would call noisy, either. I also believe that, overall, the NX is more engaging to drive, but then others will differ.

As a side note, I have had wonderful and very attentive experiences with Lexus dealerships both here in Michigan (Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Lakeside) and on the road in Pennsylvania (Thompson in Doylestown, for one). I am on my fourth Lexus and have personally come to the conclusion that Lexus has the best dealer network of any brand. Period. Here in Michigan, most any Lexus dealer is distinctly superior to the Acura dealers. Maybe one needs to get out of the big cities.

Last edited by Koetsu; 07-18-16 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add Lexus dealership comment.
Old 02-23-17, 05:25 AM
Kretek234
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0

The opposite here in S. Florida, Lexus dealer service is excellent, the lounge is very elegant. Now. About the car , I test drive both 2017 RDX AND. NX F sport. I love the engine of the RDX, very smooth and quite. Here is the thing about ACURA. I had 2005 Acura TL, love this car, but after 4 yr, the accordion type cover in center console falling apart. In 5 yr the dashboard crack in few area, My car is always in the garage,even at work is always in the cover. Call Acura, about the dashboard, they didn't do anything. Call the dealer, finally is because I do service with them, they will replace the dashboard, but I have to pay $300. If I don't have a record service with them I'll cost me $950. My point is for such of luxury division of Honda, why they use low quality of material. I have 1999 Lexus GS 300, till now the interior is still looks beautiful. That being said I cannot trust Acura product yet. That's why I decided to get 2017 Lexus NXt F sport ultra white.