NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Consumer Reports experience Infotainment shut down

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 02:27 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Consumer Reports experience Infotainment shut down

I know most people don't pay attention to CR reviews of cars, but, I would hope that this will help those of you having issues with the infotainment system going forward.

http://www.twcc.com/articles/2015/01...back-to-dealer
Old 01-28-15, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

CR is influential and this will help to keep the issue on the front burner if it's not there already.
Old 01-28-15, 04:24 PM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unfortunate...and shame, shame on Lexus who has such a fantastic reliability record, and high customer satisfaction. I am watching this closely myself and now adding other potential vehicles to my short list for my next purchase...crap, I really was looking forward to the NX!
Old 01-28-15, 04:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
Very unfortunate...and shame, shame on Lexus who has such a fantastic reliability record, and high customer satisfaction. I am watching this closely myself and now adding other potential vehicles to my short list for my next purchase...crap, I really was looking forward to the NX!
In the modern world of complex infotainment systems, these issues are across every manufacturer and far more common with them vs Lexus. Think MyTouch, CUE, Acura's, Infiniti's system, etc. Even with this issue, Lexus still is tops in the industry thanks to robust powertrains, mechanicals, and electrical components. Lexus won't ignore this negative publicity and as such act on it immediately.
Old 01-29-15, 07:48 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that gave me a good laugh (that this happened to Consumer Reports too).
Old 01-29-15, 09:14 AM
NonFormula
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hardly "a good laugh."

cb: The "good laugh" you speak of must come from "dark humor!" We are the ones who suffer. I am the one that's frightened every time I start up my NX. And I am the one who has been abandoned by Lexus corporate.......until now. The electronic situation on the NX is not to be compared with other manufacturers. The lack of control over most functions at high speed is dangerous and unnerving. Some forum members have called me "a troll." Some have been rather defensive about their product. And some have been super supportive.

I have been voicing my concerns, posting videos since I took delivery of this vehicle. Tell me, does it take an article, an alert from Consumer Reports to give my complaints legitimacy? Do I need to be in an auto accident for some of you, and Lexus, to see me as "credible?"

I'd like to comment on Jeanine Yanes at Lexus corporate, who stated a few weeks ago that she was "closing my case." I'd also like to comment on the nicest service manager, George Grover, at Desert Lexus, who twice....one week apart, refused to see my NX 300h. "I have nothing to offer you, until Lexus comes up with a solution." Desert Kexus refused to even look at my vehicle. Until now, dealing with the GSM at Lexus Bevery Hills, and finally, Carolyn R. Numata from Lexus corporate, I have felt abandoned. My vehicle has sat in my garage for more than one week. I feel unsafe driving it. It was finally picked up and transported to my selling dealership, Lexus of Beverly Hills.

Good luck to all.

I can laugh, yes, but only from the darkest place, as a form of comic relief.
Old 01-29-15, 10:13 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Default Chill out

I think you may be over reacting. Cars didn't always come with infotainment systems. They didn't always have rear view cameras. The screen doesn't control the gas&brake pedals nor does it have anything to do with the steering wheel. All it means is that you don't have acess to you radio or entune system. I don't think lack of pandora is going to be a safety hazard... It sucks yes but you can still drive the car just like any other vehicle from before the infotainment age. Just my opinion..

Originally Posted by NonFormula
cb: The "good laugh" you speak of must come from "dark humor!" We are the ones who suffer. I am the one that's frightened every time I start up my NX. And I am the one who has been abandoned by Lexus corporate.......until now. The electronic situation on the NX is not to be compared with other manufacturers. The lack of control over most functions at high speed is dangerous and unnerving. Some forum members have called me "a troll." Some have been rather defensive about their product. And some have been super supportive.

I have been voicing my concerns, posting videos since I took delivery of this vehicle. Tell me, does it take an article, an alert from Consumer Reports to give my complaints legitimacy? Do I need to be in an auto accident for some of you, and Lexus, to see me as "credible?"

I'd like to comment on Jeanine Yanes at Lexus corporate, who stated a few weeks ago that she was "closing my case." I'd also like to comment on the nicest service manager, George Grover, at Desert Lexus, who twice....one week apart, refused to see my NX 300h. "I have nothing to offer you, until Lexus comes up with a solution." Desert Kexus refused to even look at my vehicle. Until now, dealing with the GSM at Lexus Bevery Hills, and finally, Carolyn R. Numata from Lexus corporate, I have felt abandoned. My vehicle has sat in my garage for more than one week. I feel unsafe driving it. It was finally picked up and transported to my selling dealership, Lexus of Beverly Hills.

Good luck to all.

I can laugh, yes, but only from the darkest place, as a form of comic relief.
Old 01-29-15, 10:44 AM
NonFormula
Rookie

Default Get a grip.....

Mehup......Have you ever had your "premium sound" system locked in at the highest possible volume at 75 mph, without a single way to lower the volume one single decibel unless the driver shuts down the engine? It's playing today the last row of the bleachers at Dodger stadium. Just a notch below water boarding. Undrivable vehicle at any speed, much less freeway speed.
Old 01-29-15, 11:15 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Default agreed

Mehup......Have you ever had your "premium sound" system locked in at the highest possible volume at 75 mph, without a single way to lower the volume one single decibel unless the driver shuts down the engine? It's playing today the last row of the bleachers at Dodger stadium. Just a notch below water boarding. Undrivable vehicle at any speed, much less freeway speed.
Point taken. that would indeed be dangerous. thie sort of thing happen to me in my altima where my indash froze and i had no access, but there was no sound coming from. I was imagining a similar situation. but yes I cannot immagine having to sit through that kind of torture while driving. Cant hear traffic or sirens, that is a scary thought.

My appologies
Old 01-29-15, 12:33 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Hold the radio power button down for a few seconds. It will reboot the infotainment system without having to shut the car off.
Old 01-29-15, 03:33 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like someone pulled the MAP MicroSD card out!

I've done this on 2015 Lexus models and the same thing occurred as well
Old 01-29-15, 04:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
sounds to me like someone pulled the MAP MicroSD card out!

I've done this on 2015 Lexus models and the same thing occurred as well
I had the same thought or they somehow touched/damaged the card unknowingly.
Old 01-29-15, 09:26 PM
cb80923
Driver

Yes. Dark humor I guess. I never touched the SD card on mine but don't know if anyone did prior to me driving it off the lot.

New radio/Nav unit installed today - pick it up tomorrow and turn in the almost 2 week loaner 14 RX hybrid. My service dept at Kuni Lexus in Colorado Springs has been fantastic overall - said my videos and descriptions (along with the others they got from around the U.S. and Canada) were helpful to TASS and them coming to the conclusion the radio/Nav units must be at fault/flawed. I hope to never see the electrical bug again after picking it up tomorrow!
Old 01-29-15, 10:08 PM
NonFormula
Rookie

Default SD card?

CB.......Never knew anything about a media card/SD card in my vehicle. I doubt this has anything to do with my vehicle's multiple failures. Mine is currently at the dealership service dept, 135 miles from my home, Corporate called me today, requesting that I bring my iPhone 6 in, along with my separate iPod. They must think I'm a Lexus employee.

I hope you do well with your replacement electronics. I also hope that there are no rattles. Please keep me apprised. I wish you the very best.
Old 01-30-15, 10:14 AM
cb80923
Driver

Got the NX back this morning - Nav/Radio unit replaced.

Everything looks good and works correctly - hopefully it will stay that way.

Again kudos to my dealer/service dept in Colorado Springs. Sirrius/XM restarted for another 3 months trial, Lexus REMOTE App and Lexus Enform App all synced with my account etc... just sign, get in and drive away.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports experience Infotainment shut down