NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: How do you break in your brand-new engine??
Do you baby the engine with Soft Break-in. Slow and steady.
81.25%
Do you push the engine? Get on it and drive it like you stole it.
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

How are you breaking in the engine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 12:03 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How are you breaking in the engine??

Hello All,

I am waiting on delivery of my NX. I didnt see this topic anywhere so I figured I would start it.
This will be my VERY FIRST LEXUS as well as my first brand-new, off-the-lot vehicle.
I was wondering about engine break-in. I was hopping some members with more experience with new cars could give some insight... I have 2 questions.

1.how to break in the engine of a new car.
I know there are a couple different schools of thought on this but I wanted to get some opinions.

2. Is the break in different for a Turbo-charged engine vs a NA engine??
Old 01-27-15, 05:02 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always gone with the manual. I also believe in full fluid changes at 1,500 miles.

So, no full throttle pulls for 1,500 miles. No constant RPM for 1,500 miles (keep the transmission shifting). No hard braking for 1,000 miles as you want to make sure the brakes seat correctly and that you put proper stresses on the brake lines.

Then at 1,500 miles you change the oil, then when you have free time, the transmission and differential fluids get changed as well.

To drive the car like you "stole" it usually will cause the improper warping of the rings, and will make you burn oil over time.

Now, I do not have experience with a boosted motor, but I'm sure the manual will discuss a proper break in method that I will take into consideration.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-27-15 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 11:52 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Anyone Else? I know Swacer isn't the only person to ever break in an engine...
Old 01-27-15, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I always follow the manufacturers recommendations as closely as possible. They designed, engineered and warrantee the car, so why not? These days it's not that hard, or time consuming to do since modern cars don't need the detailed break in procedure as in the past.
Old 01-27-15, 01:56 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Few years back, I bought a brand new car in Nashville TN. and drove back to my home in Ohio... 10 hours driving time.
On the highway I never stayed at the same speed for more than 10 minutes, I would go up 5 to 10 mph & then drop down after being on the road for hours at one point I was doing around 80 eventually dropping down to 60 in lower increments.

So my advice is...if your traveling on the highway going to work just don't stay at the same high speed for a long period of time.
Old 01-27-15, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Slow and steady, basically for the first few hundred miles.

In practice, in echoing some of the posts above:
Minimal boost usage typically between 0 and 2 psi.
Soft braking pressure.
Maintain speed limits.
Avoid long periods of constant speed/rpm (I.e. hours).
Turbo cool down for several seconds before engine shutdown.
Old 01-28-15, 08:32 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Slow and steady, basically for the first few hundred miles.

In practice, in echoing some of the posts above:
Minimal boost usage typically between 0 and 2 psi.
Soft braking pressure.
Maintain speed limits.
Avoid long periods of constant speed/rpm (I.e. hours).
Turbo cool down for several seconds before engine shutdown.
Does the manual call for low boost levels? If so, i'm sort of surprised, I would have thought they would want to wear the bearings in properly at high and low speeds.
Old 01-28-15, 10:00 AM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Manual is vague...

Originally Posted by Swacer
Does the manual call for low boost levels? If so, i'm sort of surprised, I would have thought they would want to wear the bearings in properly at high and low speeds.
I actually looked through the manual last night and it didn't even mention the turbo. It didn't mention anything about fluid or filter changes either. All it said was no sudden stops fro first 200 miles and no constant speed/RPM for first 1000 miles.

If you ask me... it was pretty vague on the break in. only a few sentences...

Also... How are we supposed to check boost levels without the F-sport models? Is there a boost gauge on the base FWD models?
Old 01-28-15, 10:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mehul1456
I actually looked through the manual last night and it didn't even mention the turbo. It didn't mention anything about fluid or filter changes either. All it said was no sudden stops fro first 200 miles and no constant speed/RPM for first 1000 miles.

If you ask me... it was pretty vague on the break in. only a few sentences...

Also... How are we supposed to check boost levels without the F-sport models? Is there a boost gauge on the base FWD models?
You could check your boost if you would order an AEM gauge, and hook it into the ECU. You would just need to find a place to mount it. Not the "cleanest", but thats the only way you'll be able to see it on a Non-F sport model.
Old 01-28-15, 01:19 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Default Can't do that...

You could check your boost if you would order an AEM gauge, and hook it into the ECU. You would just need to find a place to mount it. Not the "cleanest", but thats the only way you'll be able to see it on a Non-F sport model.
Yea that's what I figured... I can't bring my self to do that to the beautiful interior... Ill figure something out tho..
Old 01-28-15, 07:39 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting info....

Hey All,

Was at my local dealership early this morning signing the order for my NX 200t F Sport ( ) and while I was there they were holding an NX event where they had invited a few people to have a look at the NX and hopefully close some sales. They also had someone there from Lexus Japan answering questions and talking with the potential buyers. So when I asked him a question about what the best way to break the engine in, his response was (with a smile) just drive it as hard as or as fast or as slow as you want. There is no real breaking in that you need to do to the engine according to him. He did say to go slow on the breaks so that the pads take shape...but as far as the engine goes, he said that the engines are put through vigorous and hard testing in Japan that there is no need to "break them in".
Take with a grain of salt...but just wanted to share info ....
Old 01-29-15, 04:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pesttt
Hey All,

Was at my local dealership early this morning signing the order for my NX 200t F Sport ( ) and while I was there they were holding an NX event where they had invited a few people to have a look at the NX and hopefully close some sales. They also had someone there from Lexus Japan answering questions and talking with the potential buyers. So when I asked him a question about what the best way to break the engine in, his response was (with a smile) just drive it as hard as or as fast or as slow as you want. There is no real breaking in that you need to do to the engine according to him. He did say to go slow on the breaks so that the pads take shape...but as far as the engine goes, he said that the engines are put through vigorous and hard testing in Japan that there is no need to "break them in".
Take with a grain of salt...but just wanted to share info ....
Ya...I call bluff. Unless there are 50-60 miles on your car when it arrives from the factory, there is no testing/break in done to it already.
Old 01-29-15, 06:59 AM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya...I call bluff. Unless there are 50-60 miles on your car when it arrives from the factory, there is no testing/break in done to it already.
Hey Swacer,
+1 on that!

Maybe he was just talking it up ....
But he did mention that the metal and aluminum used in today's engine parts that come from the factory have already been treated and conditioned and are ready to go.
He mentioned that changing the oil in the first 1200 miles or so is more important than "breaking ur car in".
It's funny because nowhere in the manual does it say that the oil in the NX needs to be changed after 1500 miles or so (unless I'm totally off and just didn't see it with all the excitement of getting a new car). It only mentions the first 2 complimentary services at 5k and 10k or six and 12 months...and the first 5k service does not include an oil change...is that correct?
Maybe those who currently own the NX can confirm please.

Cheers!

Last edited by Pesttt; 01-29-15 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 07:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pesttt
Hey Swacer,
+1 on that!

Maybe he was just talking it up ....
But he did mention that the metal and aluminum used in today's engine parts that come from the factory have already been treated and conditioned and are ready to go.
He mentioned that changing the oil in the first 1200 miles or so is more important than "breaking ur car in".
It's funny because nowhere in the manual does it say that the oil in the NX needs to be changed after 1500 miles or so (unless I'm totally off and just didn't see it with all the excitement of getting a new car). It only mentions the first 2 complimentary services at 5k and 10k or six and 12 months...and the first 5k service does not include an oil change...is that correct?
Maybe those who currently own the NX can confirm please.

Cheers!
I'm sure the coatings on the metals are there in order to help with wear and tear, but no coating is going to help your valves break in, make sure you wear the piston rings properly, and make sure everything seals up. That requires a proper break in following you taking possession. So I guess it depends on the context he was talking.

As for the oil change, 1,500 is pretty common. I'm sure Lexus figures that people don't want to spend the money to get extra oil changes, so they design the car NOT to need it. however, in order to assure long life, the proper practice is to do the first change at 1,500.

Our Lexus dealer looked at us weird when we dropped my wife's IS off at 1,500 for the first oil change, but I was like, just do it and I'll pay for it.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by Swacer; 01-29-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 12:09 PM
Braunjd2
Driver School Candidate

I call your bluff, because you have no idea what you are talking about. The testing is done to the engine BEFORE the engine is installed in the vehicle. It would be idiotic to do it otherwise, as if the engine is faulty for some reason they would have wasted valuable time and money installing and having to uninstall a bad engine. By doing it this way, no miles will show up on the odometer, which is part of the vehicle itself, not the engine.

Also, have you ever purchased a brand new car? I got my Lexus with 1 mile on the odometer. I am pretty sure Lexus will want to test out a new engine for issues for more than a fraction of a mile (at least part of that mile was actually moving the car for shipping purposes).

Quick Reply: How are you breaking in the engine??