Question about an order.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 08:17 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about an order.

Hello everyone!

Here is my story. Back on Dec 23rd I went to my Lexus dealer to place a custom order on an NX 300h with the premium triple beam headlamps fully loaded; not that many here in Texas. My salesman said "I have to tell you as a customer its going to take 90-120 days to have it built and ready to buy, so as soon as Lexus sends me an ETA build date I'll send it to you." So we both anticipated late March or early April for it to be ready.

Well, needless to say this car has me super excited and anxious to finally get it . So I contacted my salesman yesterday and asked about if he had an ETA or some kind of an order number; tracking number; or a more precise date when I can expect to receive my beauty . He gave me an order number and said "it has gone through recycling, which is the 1st process, from there we should get a build date in the next month or two; at this point I would say late April-early May, they usually do a lot of updating in month 3 but I'll let you know."

So I'm wondering what does all of this mean? Should it take this long to get some kind of confirmation? I realize its a popular model but geez. Anybody with a similar experience can shed some light or bring comfort that this is normal?
Old 01-22-15, 04:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats pretty close to the time table i was given (14-16 weeks).

it just seems that your order slipped due to the new year and has been grouped with the January orders.

Your dealership should be able to tell you when your order has been accepted and when the build date is.

When I ordered my camaro, the order was accepted days later, and then the build date was about 2 weeks later. It took 10 weeks for my camaro to arrive. So you can extrapolate a reasonable time table. Now of course, this is assuming their process is the same. For GM, private orders are bumped to the front of the construction line because they "are already purchased". I'm not sure Lexus does the same.

can anyone speak up on that?
Old 01-22-15, 06:39 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had been looking into a Macan, and got similar information regarding build times a few weeks ago. Even though it has been out for a while, Porsche still hasn't been able to scale up enough to meet demand. I was shown build slots allocated to the dealer, of which only one was not already spoken for. Even then I was looking at an April-May delivery, and if I waited for the next batch of slots it'd be even later obviously.
Old 01-22-15, 06:45 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I have never put in an order, but have talked about it with our dealer for a 300h also and they quoted us a normal being 90-120 days as well, with it probably pushing the 120 day mark as they just aren't doing a lot of the Hybrid's for this car yet, mostly the 200t and F-Sports. So, doesn't seem to be out of line with what others are being told.

As for the delay I think Swacer might be right, might have been bad timing around the holiday's and got pushed back a week or two, or your sales guy dropped the ball on getting it in or any number of other factors. But I think as I said you appear to be right on pace.

Phil
Old 01-22-15, 07:41 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered one. I was also told 90 to 120 days.
Old 01-22-15, 09:26 AM
clexusking
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90-120 is correct. The order is put in, the vehicle is scheduled for production and once built is on the the boat for roughly a month with port processing time.
Old 01-22-15, 04:50 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at my Lexus dealers today to get the side moldings and the rear bumper protector installed.
While there I noted that they had about 10 200t's & F's on the lot. I asked my sales person if they had many 300h's in stock. He told me they've only had two since the NX was released in December.

The 300h they sold me came out of a dealer trade from Virginia !

It appears the 300h is a very rare breed so far.
Old 01-22-15, 05:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I was at my Lexus dealers today to get the side moldings and the rear bumper protector installed.
While there I noted that they had about 10 200t's & F's on the lot. I asked my sales person if they had many 300h's in stock. He told me they've only had two since the NX was released in December.

Correct, that's because only 10% of the NX allocations headed to N.A. are slated to be 300hs.
Old 01-22-15, 06:42 PM
Phredcat
Driver School Candidate

This also is consistent with what my dealer has told me, namely, that for every 10 or more turbo models (200t/F), they'll maybe get one hybrid, even though they know that the hybrid is a popular selection in our area (suburban Washington, DC). While it may be that they're able to put in specific orders, I've been told that it's more likely they'll be told which specifically-scheduled builds are to be designated as part of their future allotment. I've wanted the 300h from day one (I'm downsizing from a 2006 RX400h) as I wanted the better mileage and regular gas -- the price of gas will go up again eventually. I also wanted a specific exterior/interior color combination. In early December, my dealer received the specs (w/VIN) for what I wanted. The build was scheduled for December 28. If things have gone according to schedule, my NX300h is on a ship right now somewhere between Japan and Newark, NJ, with an estimated arrival (in Newark) on/about February 7, and delivery to the dealer 7-10 days later. At least that's what I've been told.
Old 01-22-15, 06:57 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Phredcat
If things have gone according to schedule, my NX300h is on a ship right now somewhere between Japan and Newark, NJ, with an estimated arrival (in Newark) on/about February 7, and delivery to the dealer 7-10 days later. At least that's what I've been told.
It will be well worth the wait for the 300h !
Old 01-22-15, 07:01 PM
rjw972
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses everyone ! I just got a text early today from my sales guy and he said:

"the NX updated this morning as ordered, that means it should be on our next allocation. I know we just got an allocation this past Tuesday, so the next one will probably be around the 15th of next month. So I'm hoping it will be here mid April!!!"

So I'm happy everything is coming into play.

I wish the US had the hybrid in F-Sport. Currently driving the CT and it has to take more than the turbo to pull me away from a hybrid vehicle. My sales person said the same thing; not many 300h's in stock about 1-2.
Old 01-22-15, 07:19 PM
Phredcat
Driver School Candidate

It will be well worth the wait for the 300h !
I know it will be (you've got the precise combo of colors and features I'm waiting for).
Old 01-22-15, 08:04 PM
Lead Lap

I know it will be (you've got the precise combo of colors and features I'm waiting for).
Mine came from close to you: Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, Va. in a trade to my dealer here in Ohio.
It came in from the Newark port.
Old 01-23-15, 03:12 AM
Phredcat
Driver School Candidate

Mine came from close to you: Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, Va. in a trade to my dealer here in Ohio.
It came in from the Newark port.
Seriously???!!! I know I've seen one or two of the Matador Red Mica w/crème leather interior NX300h vehicles on the online new car inventories -- one initially (in the very first allotment in the first week of December) at Pohanka, and another one later at Lindsay, but when I e-mailed my dealer in the nearby Maryland suburbs, they told me that when they contacted those dealers, the vehicles were "sold". I believe they said there eight red 300h's that came on the first shipment that came into Newark, and they were trying to make a swap with one of them at that time, but were unable to do so.

I've tried to be pragmatic about this. It's winter after all, and our weather patterns (including coming into this weekend) are neurotic, as we're often on the rain/freezing rain/snow line. If I had the new car now, I'd be more concerned about driving in this weather. Things happen for a reason, and if I have the NX for as long as I've had my RX, I'll have many years of enjoyment.
Old 01-23-15, 05:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I've tried to be pragmatic about this. It's winter after all, and our weather patterns (including coming into this weekend) are neurotic, as we're often on the rain/freezing rain/snow line. If I had the new car now, I'd be more concerned about driving in this weather. Things happen for a reason, and if I have the NX for as long as I've had my RX, I'll have many years of enjoyment.
It's a good point. If I had the choice, I would have waited until end of March if my RX lease wasn't up in November. Enjoying a new car underneath layers of salt, snow, ice is a bummer.

Quick Reply: Question about an order.