NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 12:09 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)

I need some help/opinions.

We are cross-shopping the new CR-V Touring (approx 30k) versus the new Lexus NX with very few options (approx 35k).

Any thoughts on how these vehicles compare?
Old 01-19-15, 12:15 PM
troyk
Driver School Candidate

To be honest I would go for the NX even if it may have fewer options and costs more, since the NX's NVH, reliability, styling (IMO) and prestige far exceed the CR-V's. But it also depends on your preference. If you prefer technology and more creature comforts for a better value I would go for the CR-V.
Old 01-19-15, 12:25 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by troyk
To be honest I would go for the NX even if it may have fewer options and costs more, since the NX's NVH, reliability, styling (IMO) and prestige far exceed the CR-V's. But it also depends on your preference. If you prefer technology and more creature comforts for a better value I would go for the CR-V.
Thanks for your thoughts Troy. I'm wondering if I can get a few select options (ventilated/heated seats, power rear gate, wireless charging, power rear seat, dynamic cruise control w/autobraking) on the NX. They're pretty cheap and I'm thinking would target around $35k + TTL. The problem is I've read it's impossible to order NX with only select options you want. Anyone able to custom order an NX exactly how they wanted to?

Also any ideas on how the size of the cargo area behind the seats compares? We would be using a car seat most of the time so folding the seats won't be very practical.
Old 01-19-15, 12:30 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

See, I don't agree with the guy above me the moment he said "prestige".

Our society has a real problem with badging. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who placed their NX order today.

Lets all keep in mind, a Lexus is just a Toyota with a little better finishing (some sarcasm here, but you know what I meant....).

In regards to reliability, you can't go wrong between Honda and Toyota. The comparison is pretty much a washout between the two. In all honesty, I would almost give the reliability win to the Honda because this is Toyota's first turbo engine in....15 yrs? The NX is going to have growing pains, just like every other first year car. Should that sway you? No, but its certainly something to keep in mind.

Now, how important are options to you? Do you NEED nav? Do you NEED leather? Do you need BSM? What do you consider important in your car? What are your musts? That will drive you decision a lot. The Honda will always be cheaper, and you can get a loaded CRV for what you're paying for a stripped down NX. So, can you live with less amenities for the same price?

Styling is a hands down win for the NX (IMHO). The CRV for 2015 is certainly nicer than its been the last couple years, but lets be honest, its still an ugly egg in the back. However, that egg shape also nets you a few extra cubic feet of space.

Interior - While this may depend on options, the win will go to the NX. By going luxury, you gave gotten the additional quality of the interior, but of course, that comes at a price. Honda will give you a nice leather interior, but it will be a budget interior. However, that budget interior will be about 75% of what the NX gives you.

My close friends have a 2013 CRV and they love it. It meets exactly what they are looking for, and they also paid about 1/2 what I did for my loaded NX.

If you want the better car on a certain budget number, i would vote CR-V, you get a lot more options for your $$. If you are looking for more upscale and you don't care to either blow out the budget or have less "toys", the NX is the better choice.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-15, 12:31 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbiegel
The problem is I've read it's impossible to order NX with only select options you want. Anyone able to custom order an NX exactly how they wanted to?

Also any ideas on how the size of the cargo area behind the seats compares? We would be using a car seat most of the time so folding the seats won't be very practical.
What do you mean impossible to order? do you mean outside of packages? My custom order just went into the system today... If someone told you that, they are lying.

You can find the cargo numbers on their websites (sorry, I'm being lazy on that one)
Old 01-19-15, 12:37 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
See, I don't agree with the guy above me the moment he said "prestige".

Our society has a real problem with badging. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who placed their NX order today.

Lets all keep in mind, a Lexus is just a Toyota with a little better finishing (some sarcasm here, but you know what I meant....).

In regards to reliability, you can't go wrong between Honda and Toyota. The comparison is pretty much a washout between the two. In all honesty, I would almost give the reliability win to the Honda because this is Toyota's first turbo engine in....15 yrs? The NX is going to have growing pains, just like every other first year car. Should that sway you? No, but its certainly something to keep in mind.

Now, how important are options to you? Do you NEED nav? Do you NEED leather? Do you need BSM? What do you consider important in your car? What are your musts? That will drive you decision a lot. The Honda will always be cheaper, and you can get a loaded CRV for what you're paying for a stripped down NX. So, can you live with less amenities for the same price?

Styling is a hands down win for the NX (IMHO). The CRV for 2015 is certainly nicer than its been the last couple years, but lets be honest, its still an ugly egg in the back. However, that egg shape also nets you a few extra cubic feet of space.

Interior - While this may depend on options, the win will go to the NX. By going luxury, you gave gotten the additional quality of the interior, but of course, that comes at a price. Honda will give you a nice leather interior, but it will be a budget interior. However, that budget interior will be about 75% of what the NX gives you.

My close friends have a 2013 CRV and they love it. It meets exactly what they are looking for, and they also paid about 1/2 what I did for my loaded NX.

If you want the better car on a certain budget number, i would vote CR-V, you get a lot more options for your $$. If you are looking for more upscale and you don't care to either blow out the budget or have less "toys", the NX is the better choice.

Good luck.
Thank you Swacer, and I agree with you, the badging is not really a big consideration for us... except as it might affect resale.

We don't want cloth, but as far as leather vs. NuLuxe goes, I think we're good with either one. Navigation is worthless to us (rather use Waze on the phone). Really only interested in the Touring model because if we're paying for leather we may as well pay a little more and get all the amazing tech/goodies the Touring comes with.

I'm wondering if the NX will hold its value better after 3 years. An all-new CR-V will be coming out then, and the Touring safety stuff might be standard on EX, that would hurt resale for sure. Whereas the NX will still be the latest and greatest...

For cargo space, the CRV lists almost twice as much behind the second row. However I suspect a lot of that is due to the vertical space (low NX roofline). Who cares about vertical space? How much stuff can you really stack on top of eachother... now if the length/width is different that's a whole other story. Anyone seen both that can comment?
Old 01-19-15, 12:39 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
What do you mean impossible to order? do you mean outside of packages? My custom order just went into the system today... If someone told you that, they are lying.

You can find the cargo numbers on their websites (sorry, I'm being lazy on that one)
That's great to know! How long out until your custom order arrives? I'm totally willing to wait a while if we can get exactly what we want and not waste a dime toward anything we don't care about. That might even clench the deal for the NX if we can do that. I feel like with the Touring we are paying for a bunch of stuff we couldn't care less about (e.g. Navigation). If we could get an EX-L with just the safety tech and power rear for ~$27k and none of the fluff that would be a decision changer for sure.
Old 01-19-15, 02:20 PM
troyk
Driver School Candidate

Our family being loyal Lexus customers I would have to say getting a more optioned Lexus NX later on will actually be cheaper than ordering a lesser optioned NX at this point. Since everyone seems to be paying MSRP due to high demand I would simply wait a few months till the hype dies down and haggle a price for an NX on the lot with maybe a premium package perhaps if that's what you want.

Also I completely agree with you on your opinion of resale value since the new CR-V in a few years will make the current model have less resale value and Lexus has the best resale value in the US market.
Old 01-19-15, 02:37 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not the Acura RDX?
Old 01-19-15, 09:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome to the NX forum!

The floor of the cargo of the CRV is very similar to the RAV4's which is very similar to the NX's. Where the NX falls short is in the height and rake of the rear door (CRV and RAV4 are boxier at the rear and can therefore fit a taller box).

Refer to:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8727410
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8760757

So as far as "real-world" cargo usage, the NX cargo is excellent in holding 4 grocery bins with space for about five full separate grocery bags to fit three in the net and one each ahead of the two side bins. Pic showing in comparison the the RX.

Next pic is showing the excellent rear legroom on the NX, virtually the same as the RX's.

Good luck and any other questions, please post.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)-351834d1420951720-my-rx-vs-nx-ownership-detailed-comparison-rx_nx3.jpg   Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)-351835d1420951720-my-rx-vs-nx-ownership-detailed-comparison-rx_nx4.jpg  
Old 01-19-15, 09:42 PM
xmarvinx
Driver School Candidate

Just helped my sister trade in her 2012 CRV to NX, she was planning to get the the new CRV touring but i had her change of heart and seek the new NX. Following day went to Carlsbad dealer lets just say ok to deal with but not the greatest dealer, i really hated this one but they have a lot of stock. Anyway she wanted the USB w red interior and besides the FSport package she wanted to add the precollision option as this was a good tech to add plus the winning style, but they are asking for an extra $1500 extra to get the car shipped and with the additional option it would take them at least 3-4 mo to "look around the area" for this combo. Anyway this was the first time i hear a dealer would not work or do a custom order and since im beginning to feel too much bs inside the dealership i just asked my sis to grab what is in stock! Got the atomic silver with red interior w fsport package for $44k. Her only complaints was her CRV had so much room b/n the rear and the cargo, but the style of the NX is just too sweet and the loaded options.

Oh ya, i think it is no brainer that NX is just too much to compare to CRV but options that you may want for the new NX... well good luck to find a dealer who will work for you on this. Cars like these are pretty much set i must say in what they may have already in stock. Price wise CRV wins, just like the other guy say a loaded CRV still below what is base model of an NX. Good luck!
Old 01-20-15, 04:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

That's great to know! How long out until your custom order arrives? I'm totally willing to wait a while if we can get exactly what we want and not waste a dime toward anything we don't care about. That might even clench the deal for the NX if we can do that. I feel like with the Touring we are paying for a bunch of stuff we couldn't care less about (e.g. Navigation). If we could get an EX-L with just the safety tech and power rear for ~$27k and none of the fluff that would be a decision changer for sure.
My order will take 14-16 weeks. So i'm waiting until the end of April/beginning of may. Which is fine with me, because I will be out of winter by that point.

I'm confused that dealers are giving people such a hard time for orders. I guess its the greed to get the car "turned around" quickly, so they want to just keep moving stock. My dealership was in the position that they said if any dealership was being inflexible about ordering, or if they were trying to charge MORE than MSRP, you should consider reporting them to Lexus corp.
Old 01-20-15, 06:50 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

@dbiegel

I also looked at CRV Touring before purchasing NX. My main reason for not going with CRV is the new CVT transmission in the CRV. The CRV vibrates badly when standing still like at a light. Other current owners say it actually gets worse with even the passenger seat vibrating badly. When driving you do not feel it.

NX still has the regular automatic transmission. This was the big reason I opted to pay an additonal $15K for the NX.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-15, 06:55 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rocdude
@dbiegel

I also looked at CRV Touring before purchasing NX. My main reason for not going with CRV is the new CVT transmission in the CRV. The CRV vibrates badly when standing still like at a light. Other current owners say it actually gets worse with even the passenger seat vibrating badly. When driving you do not feel it.

NX still has the regular automatic transmission. This was the big reason I opted to pay an additonal $15K for the NX.

Hope this helps.
Is the CRV a motor mount issue? If so, you can fix that with $100 and an hour of your time.
Old 01-20-15, 07:44 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

@Swacer
I am not sure because I am not technically savvy. It has got some thing to do with the engine rpm. At a certain rpm the vibration occurs. The CRV owners were hoping Honda will come up with a software fix to resolve the issue. I did not want to bother with this mess.

Quick Reply: Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)