NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 07:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rocdude
@Swacer
I am not sure because I am not technically savvy. It has got some thing to do with the engine rpm. At a certain rpm the vibration occurs. The CRV owners were hoping Honda will come up with a software fix to resolve the issue. I did not want to bother with this mess.
Hmm...sounds harmonic.

I would assume either the balancer on the CVT or a motor mount issue. The ECU is not going to fix any of that unless there is RPM bounce during the shuttering.
Old 01-20-15, 03:59 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swacer,

Did you have to pay an additional fee for doing the custom order or was it same price?

Also I was hoping to negotiate a price more toward invoice. Sounds like that would be even harder or impossible with a custom order?
Old 01-20-15, 04:14 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by troyk
To be honest I would go for the NX even if it may have fewer options and costs more, since the NX's NVH, reliability, styling (IMO) and prestige far exceed the CR-V's. But it also depends on your preference. If you prefer technology and more creature comforts for a better value I would go for the CR-V.
The NX reliability has not been established yet as it is too new.
Old 01-20-15, 04:15 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Welcome to the NX forum!

The floor of the cargo of the CRV is very similar to the RAV4's which is very similar to the NX's. Where the NX falls short is in the height and rake of the rear door (CRV and RAV4 are boxier at the rear and can therefore fit a taller box).

Refer to:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8727410
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8760757

So as far as "real-world" cargo usage, the NX cargo is excellent in holding 4 grocery bins with space for about five full separate grocery bags to fit three in the net and one each ahead of the two side bins. Pic showing in comparison the the RX.

Next pic is showing the excellent rear legroom on the NX, virtually the same as the RX's.

Good luck and any other questions, please post.
Thanks so much corrado. The rear legroom looks fantastic! The cargo pics make me a little apprehensive. We are looking to upgrade from our current 2013 Accord and I'm wondering if we'll actually lose real-world cargo space with this transition! I guess the NX and CR-V will be similar in that regard though, and being able to fold down part of the second row will help when we need more space, something we can't do with our Accord.

It amazes me that there are so many detailed specs online of cargo space and space behind 2nd row... but all pretty much useless because they don't separate vertical space from usable length/width. Your pics were very helpful.
Old 01-20-15, 04:17 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rocdude
@dbiegel

I also looked at CRV Touring before purchasing NX. My main reason for not going with CRV is the new CVT transmission in the CRV. The CRV vibrates badly when standing still like at a light. Other current owners say it actually gets worse with even the passenger seat vibrating badly. When driving you do not feel it.

NX still has the regular automatic transmission. This was the big reason I opted to pay an additonal $15K for the NX.

Hope this helps.
Interesting. We have a 2013 Accord with the same exact drivetrain and no vibration issues, although the CVT feels weird / stuttery sometimes when accelerating from a stop.

Also, our budget is a bit more limited. We wanted to stay around 30k, but are thinking to "stretch" the extra 5-6k for the NX if it's worth it. So the ability to custom order, get a good deal, and avoid paying for anything we don't need are all critical.

Last edited by dbiegel; 01-20-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 04:49 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbiegel
Swacer,

Did you have to pay an additional fee for doing the custom order or was it same price?

Also I was hoping to negotiate a price more toward invoice. Sounds like that would be even harder or impossible with a custom order?
Nothing extra. Keep in mind almost all car companies allow custom orders. My camaro was custom ordered.

My price I'm going to get is going to be right around invoice. But we will do final negotiation when it arrives.
Old 01-20-15, 06:52 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

@dbiegl

It will be interesting to see how the NX Hybrid works, because this car has CVT and not the automatic transmission. CVT gets better gas mileage, but the bugs have not been completely worked out as of yet. I am hoping to keep the NX for atleast 5 to 8 years. Hopefully the CVT will be more main stream and refined than what it is now. already CVT is being installed in most Japanese and Korean cars, now including Lexus.
Old 01-20-15, 08:22 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Owning a 2014 CR-V, i'd say it's a great car with a lot of space interior and cargo wise but I don't think they are the same league, but I think a better comparison would be the RDX or even an RX 350, i'm sure the with the new model coming soon dealers will start pushing that SUV . It's too bad they put the CVT in the 2015 CR-V, i've read owners complaining about vibration issues and not meeting the new MPG figures for the new motor plus it only got 4 stars in the latest NHTSA .
Old 01-21-15, 09:51 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Exactly NX vs CRV is not a real comparison at all. Price wise or quality wise. Both are in slightly different levels. Really depends on what your needs are and what is the best car for YOU.
Do you have small kids? Do you have another vehicle in family? Do you live in city / suburbs? Do you frequently have to carry large objects? Do you like firm ride or cushy ride😄? These are some of the questions that only you can answer and will affect the choice of cars.
Old 01-21-15, 12:29 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all the responses. With some more research I ran into a bit of a wildcard: Acura is offering a pretty amazing lease deal on the RDX, basically $309 a month with $2,299 down, first month free. That equates to a 3-year total ownership cost of about $13k. For comparison, that's about 4k less (25% less) than an base NX lease, and I think significantly cheaper than leasing a CR-V Touring (can't seem to find lease pricing for that online). If you assume 55% residual value after 3 years, it works out to thousands cheaper over that time period than either a NX or CR-V Touring and don't have to deal with selling it at the end. Would never buy an RDX because it's due for a redesign but these numbers put it more around the price point of a mid-trim CRV which is very interesting.

Would love to get some more thoughts on these 3 vehicles pros/cons and what you would pick.
Old 01-21-15, 12:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The best bang for the buck is the CR-V Touring for under $33K with haggling.Maybe even under $32K.
Some nice options for the bucks.
Great reliability too.

"The Touring tacks on 18-inch wheels, projector beam headlights, a power liftgate, adaptive cruise control, a forward collision mitigation system, a lane departure warning system, driver seat memory settings, a navigation system and HD radio."
Old 02-03-15, 04:07 PM
dbiegel
Driver School Candidate

Update: after viewing and test driving a bunch of vehicles including the Lexus NX and Honda CR-V Touring, we actually ended up getting a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium fully loaded w/EyeSight.

We really liked the CR-V touring but the new Outback with EyeSight tech impressed me most. After test driving it, I felt it truly shined over the CR-V Touring in all the key areas such as ride quality, usable space (the cargo area is almost a foot longer than the CR-V -- and much more useful than a few extra inches in height! Cargo space specs are so misleading!), quietness, comfort, execution of controls and other details, much better AWD, better real-world MPG, and the next generation EyeSight system (only on the 2015 Legacy and Outback, not Forester) is absolutely amazing technology -- rated the best collision prevention of any automaker's system out there. Plus all the other great tech like MirrorLink, Blind Spot Detect, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Approach Detect, Adaptive Cruise that goes to 0 mph unlike the CRV's that only works at high speed... it even tells you if you're stopped at a light and the vehicle in front of you takes off and you're not paying attention... much better visibility throughout with transparent side mirror triangle area even... top crash test results in every way possible... etc etc. All in all it just totally impressed for the price point and I preferred it strongly to the CR-V Touring in most ways.

The Lexus NX was not for us. Everything about it seemed like someone in Lexus marketing said "do whatever you can to try to make it look sporty" without understanding the consequences. It felt tiny inside even though it wasn't. Visibility poor due to the styling. Basically just came across as less usable vehicle than the Outback or CR-V, for a lot more money, and less practical due to the compromises that were made. I actually loved the styling but not enough to make up for everything else I didn't like about it. Probably a great car for others but just not for us and our young family.

Anyways thanks again for all the responses, they definitely helped us in our journey.
Old 02-04-15, 06:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Just wanted to chime in about vertical height in an SUV cargo area. If one has never owned an SUVyou may not understand why that's important. Vertical height is what makes an SUV carry more than a car with a trunk with the same cargo area footprint. When packing for a trip with the rear row in use, The ability to lay things on top of each other up to the roof is huge. If you're only going to pack the vehicle up to the window line, you're not getting any benefit for having an SUV, may as well buy an IS.

As for the outback, they are very nice vehicles. I would not buy an Outback or a new CR-V because I hate CVT transmissions. That and there's something about a station wagon that just doesn't appeal to me with the Outback.
Old 02-04-15, 06:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just wanted to chime in about vertical height in an SUV cargo area. If one has never owned an SUVyou may not understand why that's important. Vertical height is what makes an SUV carry more than a car with a trunk with the same cargo area footprint. When packing for a trip with the rear row in use, The ability to lay things on top of each other up to the roof is huge. If you're only going to pack the vehicle up to the window line, you're not getting any benefit for having an SUV, may as well buy an IS.

As for the outback, they are very nice vehicles. I would not buy an Outback or a new CR-V because I hate CVT transmissions. That and there's something about a station wagon that just doesn't appeal to me with the Outback.
Could always get a roof carrier. Problem solved.
Old 02-04-15, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Could always get a roof carrier. Problem solved.
You could...but then you have a big roof carrier on top of your vehicle which is a PITA. You need a rack, it's ugly, you have to store it somewhere when you're not using it, when you get to your destination you have to worry about height the whole time you're there, etc. I want to put all my luggage inside my car...which is why I bought an SUV for trips over a car. You can put a roof carrier on a car too.

Quick Reply: Lexus NX or Competitors? (Merged Threads)