NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: As owners, how do the F Sport bolsters affect your seating comfort?
Bolsters hold me well and are comfortable
50.94%
Bolsters hold me well but after a while some discomfort occurs
24.53%
Bolsters are too restrictive and I feel discomfort almost immediately
24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 03:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Exclamation Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll

The superbly crafted and "fit-like-a-glove" NX F Sport seats seem to have been taken from the IS F Sport's. However, upon close inspection, there are differences. And it is these subtle differences that can account for the differences in comfort for those who own or have experienced both vehicles.

For one, the seat width between the bolsters is 1 inch narrower than the IS's.

Next, the accelerator pedal is placed further to the right on the NX which causes the driver to naturally lean the leg more to the right against the bolster.

In short, we can see the NX F Sport seats are a tighter fit and along with the firm bolsters and accelerator pedal placement, which combined, can explain why some owners have had some discomfort concerns.

As NX F Sport owners, how do the bolsters affect your seating comfort?
Attached Thumbnails Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll-isnx_seat1.jpg   Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll-isnx_seat2.jpg   Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll-isnx_seat3.jpg   Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll-isnx_seat4.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-18-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 05:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is the discomfort coming from? Reason I ask is I took my wife's IS down on a 1.5 hr drive, and i won't lie, my hip and lower back actually started to hurt. I think it was due to the positioning of my right leg while driving (both foot on gas and cruise control).

Is this the discomfort that you're talking about?

In the time I've had to sit in the NX, I thought the seats were "bigger" and more comfortable than my wife's IS. Is it maybe that the seats aren't as deep down in?
Old 01-19-15, 06:43 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have much discomfort, but do feel snug in the seats.

My biggest concern is the bolster on the left had drivers side. Every time I get out of the car I feel as though I am pulling myself up and over it. Curious as to how it holds up over time.
Old 01-19-15, 06:17 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the seats were exactly like the IS I'd be fine with that. Is it a space issue that the seats as wide? You'd think a compact SUV would have larger seats than a sportscar. I suppose more women will drive the NX vs the IS. These seat bolsters may be a deal breaker for me depending on what the Acura RDX refresh entails (reveal coming in a month).

I would love to be able to get a hybrid F SPORT with regular seats in an ideal world
Old 01-19-15, 08:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Swacer
Where is the discomfort coming from? Reason I ask is I took my wife's IS down on a 1.5 hr drive, and i won't lie, my hip and lower back actually started to hurt. I think it was due to the positioning of my right leg while driving (both foot on gas and cruise control).

Is this the discomfort that you're talking about?

The discomfort you're describing is more from leg positioning which can be normal with most any car. The discomfort for me on the NX is on the right thigh/buttock (from the constant pressing of the firm bolster) which progressively gets worse the longer I am seated. I'm average height, weight, and build. I haven't been seated for more than an hour in the NX at this time.
Old 01-20-15, 05:25 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice analysis corradoMR2!!!!

Originally Posted by Husker4the
These seat bolsters may be a deal breaker for me depending on what the Acura RDX refresh entails (reveal coming in a month).

I would love to be able to get a hybrid F SPORT with regular seats in an ideal world
Yes and yes! Will be interested to see what the new RDX looks like. If only there was an F Sport hyb with reg seats, i would have been one of the first to buy! Just don't understand why other countries get the better cars and features while the US has to take it in the butt. Stop serving us that poo lexus!
Old 01-20-15, 07:15 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Corrado, you need a "the seat tried to kill me / LOTS of discomfort" option in the poll My '14 IS350 F-Sport seat is SO MUCH MORE comfortable - does not cause me any discomfort during long drives.
Old 01-20-15, 08:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by cb80923
Corrado, you need a "the seat tried to kill me / LOTS of discomfort" option in the poll My '14 IS350 F-Sport seat is SO MUCH MORE comfortable - does not cause me any discomfort during long drives.
Yeah, I was waiting for you to chime in and not speak on your behalf. Maybe I need to put a cushion as I suggested to you. Indeed, the IS is "perfect" and we know why now since the measurements don't lie.

At my 1600 km inspection (some time next month), I'll mention it to my dealer. No expectations at this time other than reporting it.
Old 01-20-15, 09:05 AM
ALE81
Driver

Maybe the Lexus boutique will start carrying Lexus branded Spanx so we can squeeze our butt together and fit into the seat more comfortably. On the other hand I just got a bad visual.........nevermind.
Old 04-20-15, 05:42 PM
NXFan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad we are not the only ones to feel that the f-sport seats are uncomfortable. I really wanted the F-Sport due to the estectics, but after driving one, we decided to go with the reg seats. It hurt our thighs as soon as we sat in the NX. We thought the IS was uncomfortable, the NX felt worse to us. Glad we got the reg seats. The vented seats were a plus! We use it all the time in the hot Hawaii weather, just don't see a need for the heated steering wheel. Now a vented one would be awesome! LOL
Old 04-20-15, 06:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by NXFan
I am glad we are not the only ones to feel that the f-sport seats are uncomfortable. I really wanted the F-Sport due to the estectics, but after driving one, we decided to go with the reg seats. It hurt our thighs as soon as we sat in the NX. We thought the IS was uncomfortable, the NX felt worse to us. Glad we got the reg seats. The vented seats were a plus! We use it all the time in the hot Hawaii weather, just don't see a need for the heated steering wheel. Now a vented one would be awesome! LOL

Almost 4 months into ownership and no issues for me anymore regarding thigh discomfort.

Anyone who is on the fence because of the seats, should refer to this thread for possible others who have initially found them stiff but have improved.

I attribute the improvement to a combination of

1. finding the right seating position/posture.
2. the seats softening up and taking shape to my behind.
3. Warmer weather (and warmer interior temps) is also improving the softness.
Old 04-22-15, 04:44 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

thanks for the information, as always! my wife and went to the dealer for service on the 3IS. we stopped by the showroom to see the NX F Sport and i was blown away by how much she loved the car. we both sat in the driver seat and i must say though i am quite surprised at how much stiffer the NX F Sport seats are compared to the IS F Sport seats. my understanding is that they use the same gel injected technology/method, so i'm not sure why the NX F Sports seat material seemed stiffer and not as soft as the 3IS. our temps around here is currently 60-75 degrees F. any explanation on the stiffness?

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Almost 4 months into ownership and no issues for me anymore regarding thigh discomfort.

Anyone who is on the fence because of the seats, should refer to this thread for possible others who have initially found them stiff but have improved.

I attribute the improvement to a combination of

1. finding the right seating position/posture.
2. the seats softening up and taking shape to my behind.
3. Warmer weather (and warmer interior temps) is also improving the softness.
Old 04-22-15, 12:02 PM
leej865
Driver

Finally, an advantage to being small!
Old 06-10-15, 10:01 AM
bsadelman
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up my new NX F-Sport, and am not in love with the seat bottoms. I couldn't pass up the F-Sport exterior styling, and am willing to live with seat. I am sure that over time the seat bolsters will widen out and not be as prominent, but has anyone found any temporary solution to the problem. The back portion to the seat for me is perfect, but the seat cushion is rather narrow between the bolsters. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-15, 10:27 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm really enjoying the F Sport seats. The most I have been is a three hour trip, but find them comfortable. I have had a little discomfort on the left side of the driver's seat, but by taking my wallet out of my rear pocket when driving, I find that to help ! It does the trick for me, and I find it very comfortable. I am not a big guy, 6'2 175 pounds. Maybe the wallet idea would help some others, but most seem to complain about the right side.

Quick Reply: Unravelling the F Sport Seat Bolsters and Comfort Poll