My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 03:20 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an outstanding piece of work!
Thanks and congrats.
After a careful reading I would opt for the RX.
Is there something similar comparing the RX to the Toyota Highlander?
The latter, while not a Lexus, seems to be an important "competitor".
Old 02-02-15, 06:36 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BrazLex
This is an outstanding piece of work!
Thanks and congrats.
After a careful reading I would opt for the RX.
Is there something similar comparing the RX to the Toyota Highlander?
The latter, while not a Lexus, seems to be an important "competitor".
I have both a 2015 RX 350 and 2015 Highlander. Although not any near as detailed I started a thread in the RX forum.
Old 02-03-15, 05:21 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marqevans
I have both a 2015 RX 350 and 2015 Highlander. Although not any near as detailed I started a thread in the RX forum.
Thanks for pointing it. Your case is exactly what I am trying to compare. Already devoured and subscribed to your thread.
Old 03-01-15, 09:00 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very well done write up. So far I agree completely with your comparison. I did go from a 2006 RX 330 to the new NX200t so there was a significant difference. The most surprising for me so far was the ride of the NX. It is incredibly better than the older RX330. So far I love the NX. My biggest issue with the RX was the blind spot was so bad.
The BSM has taken care of that. Of course it's in the new RXs to so that's sort of a wash.

Only had the NX for two weeks and I'm sure I'll see more and more differences.
Old 03-01-15, 04:20 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CorradoR

Thank you for the review. Does the f-sport have heated and cooled seats? Lexus.ca site doesn't show it as available, only for luxury and executive packages.

Also, I hear that a lot of dealers, specially out west are adding a dealer mark-up on the f-sport, bad won't budge from MSRP on the base or H packages. Fortunately, GTA market is different. The dollar isn't helping either, and won't be surprised to see an across the board adjustment in the spring.
Old 03-01-15, 04:47 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

F-sport only has heated seats.

And I noticed from one dealer site on the west coast that their prices seemed to be higher when I look at the specs when compared to another dealer.

I expected to pay MSRP, but if they try to make me pay more when the vehicle gets off the ship, then I'm gonna argue. Luckily, I don't need to purchase if it came to that.
Old 03-02-15, 03:16 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 200t has heated and ventilated seats.
Old 03-03-15, 06:56 AM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Default Can folks in states buy in canada

Hi All,
Can I buy a NX in Canada and bring it to the US? I really want the AVS and not offered here. Thanks
Old 03-03-15, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Holt2008
Hi All,
Can I buy a NX in Canada and bring it to the US? I really want the AVS and not offered here. Thanks

Hi, you can but only if you buy to own the vehicle paying the full cost upfront. i.e., you will not be able to finance or lease via Lexus Canada, nor Lexus USA. You can get your own personal bank loan or line of credit so long as you show up with the full amount in Canada.

The other thing is you may need to pay duties on importing it back to the US and also check to see if you need to make any minor modifications to make the NX meet US DOT regulations. I know for importing a US vehicle to Canada, it needs to pass inspection and minor mods like the Daytime Running Lights need to be enabled in Canada.

As for servicing, you can go to Lexus USA, but for warranty claims, this can be tricky and Lexus USA may refuse you. However, things like roadside assistance is N. America-wide.

If you do want AVS (IMO it's really worth it), keep in mind though you need to get the top-of-the-line F Sport Series 2 which is $55K + all taxes (HST main one) and it's 61K Cdn. This model is loaded including HUD, BSM, RCTA, DRCC, Pre-Collision, LKA, sunroof, premium sound, NAV, etc. But note, no Enform for all Canadian Lexus vehicles.

61K Cdn divide by 1.2 (exchange rate today) = $51K USD (+ any other US-imposed fees)

If you're ok with this, come on up!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-03-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 09:12 PM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the explanation! Will give a toronto dealership a call tomorrow!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hi, you can but only if you buy to own the vehicle paying the full cost upfront. i.e., you will not be able to finance or lease via Lexus Canada, nor Lexus USA. You can get your own personal bank loan or line of credit so long as you show up with the full amount in Canada.

The other thing is you may need to pay duties on importing it back to the US and also check to see if you need to make any minor modifications to make the NX meet US DOT regulations. I know for importing a US vehicle to Canada, it needs to pass inspection and minor mods like the Daytime Running Lights need to be enabled in Canada.

As for servicing, you can go to Lexus USA, but for warranty claims, this can be tricky and Lexus USA may refuse you. However, things like roadside assistance is N. America-wide.

If you do want AVS (IMO it's really worth it), keep in mind though you need to get the top-of-the-line F Sport Series 2 which is $55K + all taxes (HST main one) and it's 61K Cdn. This model is loaded including HUD, BSM, RCTA, DRCC, Pre-Collision, LKA, sunroof, premium sound, NAV, etc. But note, no Enform for all Canadian Lexus vehicles.

61K Cdn divide by 1.2 (exchange rate today) = $51K USD (+ any other US-imposed fees)

If you're ok with this, come on up!
Old 03-03-15, 10:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Sounds good. Let us know what they say.
Old 03-14-15, 05:59 PM
ncast2523
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-15-15, 01:58 PM
nahanagat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great and informative point-by-point comparison. I was seriously considering the RX before the NX came out. Even when I already ordered the NX, I still on occasions entertained going for the RX due to discounts offered at that time. However, considering that our kids have their own cars already, the RX is quite big for me and my wife, plus the higher fuel costs on the RX. In the end, choosing the NX was a wise decision.
Old 06-22-15, 10:08 AM
RonR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nahanagat
Thanks for the great and informative point-by-point comparison. I was seriously considering the RX before the NX came out. Even when I already ordered the NX, I still on occasions entertained going for the RX due to discounts offered at that time. However, considering that our kids have their own cars already, the RX is quite big for me and my wife, plus the higher fuel costs on the RX. In the end, choosing the NX was a wise decision.
+1. Had an RX 330 for 11 years. The car was bullit proof and was going to buy an new RX. But the kids are older and mainly just my wife and I so we went with the NX FSport. The technology in the NX is light years ahead of our old RX. We are very happy with our decision to buy the NX.
Old 06-22-15, 11:48 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

I was thinking that way too, but THERE IS NO (appreciable) FUEL SAVINGS. The NX just gets merely a few MPG more than the RX but REQUIRES PREMIUM FUEL while the RX runs on regular. Depending on fuel prices, the NX might actually cost MORE to run than the RX.

This is a huge flaw, in my opinion. It boils back down to the old adage about Americans buy the largest car they can afford. And in this case, with the discounts on the RX and no difference in fuel costs...versus no discounts on the NX, the RX is a no brainer. (This will change when the current bodystyle RX winds down later this summer and the new RX will be in demand such as to limit discounts).

Last edited by daryll40; 06-22-15 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison