My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 01:40 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Here is my take --

So we minimize the usage of the rear wiper on our RX. It is also related to our concern about wearing off the tinting of the back window as it is common among some RX owners in the forum. I guess the hidden wiper plays some contribution because you can't just wipe the wipers with wet towel when a need arises.
This is news to me. The tint is on the outside? I tried a search but didn't have any luck finding. Can anyone steer me to the discussion?

I think the hidden wiper is a touch of class others haven't copied yet. If you ever had your rear wiper bent or ripped off in a parking lot by vandals(I have on other vehicles but not on my RX) you would appreciate the hidden feature more.
Old 01-16-15, 09:04 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
This is news to me. The tint is on the outside? I tried a search but didn't have any luck finding. Can anyone steer me to the discussion?

I think the hidden wiper is a touch of class others haven't copied yet. If you ever had your rear wiper bent or ripped off in a parking lot by vandals(I have on other vehicles but not on my RX) you would appreciate the hidden feature more.
It was quite a few years ago when I was looking for information regarding windshield replacement and I think I came across the following threads. Maybe my wrong misinterpretation. The main thing is the tint on the rear window is baked in and not a film and it appears on the outside.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-be-fixed.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ed-window.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...k-problem.html

Note the above thread was started by the same owner.

Yes, the hidden wiper is indeed a touch of class and is quite unique.
Old 01-16-15, 11:16 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the links. Baked on tint is news to me but good to know. I don't use my rear wiper that much so hopefully I won't wear the tint off before I trade it in.

Sorry for the threadjack Corrado, I feel bad for corrupting your great work.
Old 01-16-15, 01:26 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's hard to believe that the tint is on the outside surface of the glass. In the winter months we often get thick layers of ice on the windows that we have to scrap off. If the tint was on the outside it would get really badly damaged each time we had to scrape. After over four years of winters with my RX there is no damage to the tint.
Old 01-17-15, 10:22 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

This review was very informative to me. We have a '14 RX that goes off lease in 18 months. The plan was to do this to carry us over until the NX was out then to buy the NX. To save on fuel. I am old school...will buy the biggest vehicle with the least fuel consumption. I didn't realize that the NX requires premium fuel. If I had to buy today, I would buy another RX as it appears that the NX doesn't save much. And while I know gas will probably go up again eventually, at $2.35 gal (Pennsylvania is higher than most), for sure the RX is the better value for us. But thank you for the review.
Old 01-17-15, 11:14 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The NX is at the dealership so they can explore the Centerstack Electrical issues for TASS - I really think it is a IPHONE/BLUETOOTH issue. But anyway I'm now driving a loaner LAND YACHT!! They gave me a '14 RX Hybrid. Feels real heavy, makes me appreciate my NX F-Sport which is much much more nimble and sports car like. Even my previous '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland felt lighter and more sporty than the '14 RX.
Old 01-18-15, 11:05 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people will decide between the RX and NX based on space. Our NX is a fairly tight squeeze for more than 4 people, and the cargo area is much smaller.

Our '13 RX is a big floater, kind of like a big cadillac. Our new NX is much firmer / sportier, and more nimble / smaller.

However, the RX is much more spacious, and has nice puddle lights that far outshine the pitiful door handle LED's the NX has. I really like this feature.

Another RX feature I like are the auto-folding mirrors when you lock it, so you can tell visually that the car is locked. Wish the NX had this feature.

On the other hand, we have not seen a single NX around except ours. I took it out for the 3rd or 4th time yesterday, and got a compliment on it immediately.

However, in a few months there will be ton of NX's around, so this is very temporary.

Bottom line - if you need a cargo / family hauler, look at RX or bigger. If you want a nice smaller vehicle to toot around, the NX might be up your ally.

Last edited by nx200tmb; 01-18-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-20-15, 10:14 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torn between RX / NX

Greetings All

First time poster but have been lurking these forums for quite some time and I just want to thank everyone that has posted in these forums as I have spent hours reading most threads...especially Corrado's posts seeing how detailed and informative they are.

Now for my dilemma....
I have been driving a 2010 RX350 fully loaded and my lease is up end of month. I was really looking to jump into the NX200t F Sport package after reading up on it and seeing it at the car show.
Love the look of the NX F sport ...but then reading the thread on the bolstered seats had me go in today and test drive it.
I actually test drove both NX200t packages (executive and F Sport) and there is a HUGE difference in comfort between the 2 sets of seats (Executive package was clearly more comfortable).
I just couldn't get comfortable in the seats in the F Sport model of the NX .... the bolstering on the right side hip/thigh area was too damn hard and pressing into my thigh/hip. Very disappointed because I love the look of the Sport package (grill, fog lights) versus the NX200t regular grill and fogs.
Now to add to the mix...there was a 2015 RX350 F Sport in the showroom...beautiful...that I sat in and was so comfortable.
As far as pricing goes, the dealership made me a price on both the RX350 F Sport and NX200t F Sport and they can be had for the exact same price give or take a few dollars.
So what do I do....? the age old question right? Step into a model that will be redesigned this year or step into a brand new model with brand new design?
Space and size isn't an issue for me ...its more of a question if the seats will soften up enough to be comfortable or will the stitching on the bolstered seats stay hard and firm?
Corrado....seeing you've had both...guide me oh wise one!!!
Old 01-21-15, 09:35 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best course of action. Don't buy anything at all now. Save all the money for one more year. Meanwhile keep test serving all the available cars all you want. Wait till the refresh of RX happens. I know this is tough but you will be thankful at that time for your diligence.
Old 01-21-15, 02:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Pesttt, first welcome to the forum!

This is a tough one because both vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses which I won't re-iterate.

So consider the following:

1. The '15 RX F-Sport today is a better financial deal at this time making it the more "Sensible" choice if you are buying it since you can almost get it at the same price as an NX F Sport Series 2 (but with less tech). You will should also get a higher resale value down the road with the RX.

2. How will the new vehicle be used? Short trips? Long trips? Or both? The seat comfort will influence your decision on the RX F Sport vs NX F Sport vs regular NX.

3. How important is fuel economy? The NX 200t will save you some fuel costs but not by much due to the 91 octane requirement. NX 300h, different story (87 octane...).

4. How much of the decision will be based on "emotion"? Things like having to own the newest model and styling?

5. On the flip side, how much of the decision will be based on the practical needs? Things like interior/cargo space, exterior size (smaller or larger is better for you?), safety tech features like park assist, pre-collision, BSM, DRCC, LKA, and so on?

6. How does a first-year model influence your decision from a risk perspective? Are you comfortable with industry-leading Lexus' reliability history and reputation, but if bugs or issues arise (as reported), it will not bother you?

7. How long can you wait to get a new car? As soon as your lease ends? Can you wait for later this year for the new RX if this is in the back of your mind? Still lots of speculation, but expect the RX to be a little bigger than the current RX and to resemble a "softer" less edgy NX (spy shot below).

My personal action - What I would do today is still buy the NX F Sport, why?

1. For the same reasons you mentioned like the head-turning styling.

2. My RX lease was up and I needed a new CUV. I love Lexus and always wanted a smaller compact CUV that fit better in my garage and in public parking spots.

3. The seats are not much of a problem to stop me from buying the vehicle. This is because my wife drives the NX majority of the time and she loves the seats and second, the NX will only be used 3-4 times per year on the longer family road trips. For those times, I will stop a little more frequently to take a break or as a fall-back plan, I will bring with me a thin sofa pillow to be placed on the bottom so that I can clear a little over the bolsters. I also believe that with time, the bolsters will soften up a little, but that's just my guess.

4. I love the ride on the NX thanks to the bump-smoothing Adaptive Variable Suspension resulting in a smoother ride in winter than the RX F Sport. The RX F Sport stiffens up in freezing weather making it a little harsh. But warmer weather - RX F Sport is great.

In short, much of my decision (emotional) comes from the fact that I love the prospect of getting into a new different vehicle. Which is why for this reason alone, the '15 RX would be out.

Hope this helps! If not, feel free to ask more.
Attached Thumbnails My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison-3tiy63sb0ibb.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-21-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 03:40 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
The NX is at the dealership so they can explore the Centerstack Electrical issues for TASS - I really think it is a IPHONE/BLUETOOTH issue. But anyway I'm now driving a loaner LAND YACHT!! They gave me a '14 RX Hybrid. Feels real heavy, makes me appreciate my NX F-Sport which is much much more nimble and sports car like. Even my previous '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland felt lighter and more sporty than the '14 RX.
If it feels heavy, its probably in Eco mode. Stick the 450h into Sport and it flies. Cant say I felt any difference in perceived weight in the NX or the RX apart from in the turns where the RX feels slightly heavier because it is lol.

The new RX is going to be awesome! It looks great already and the spy shots arent even the F Sport
Old 01-21-15, 04:12 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pamiboy
Best course of action. Don't buy anything at all now. Save all the money for one more year. Meanwhile keep test serving all the available cars all you want. Wait till the refresh of RX happens. I know this is tough but you will be thankful at that time for your diligence.
thx pamiboy.
unfortunately I can't wait...as the dealership is willing to incur the costs on the excess mileage which is quite a bit (15000+ kms) which I forgot to mention earlier. I honestly wish I could wait it out to see what the new RX will finally look like and pricing of course which has been previously mentioned in other threads and confirmed by the dealership that it will be at a higher price point than what it is today so that it can differentiate itself from the current new NX.
Old 01-21-15, 04:30 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Pesttt, first welcome to the forum!

This is a tough one because both vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses which I won't re-iterate.

So consider the following:

1. The '15 RX F-Sport today is a better financial deal at this time making it the more "Sensible" choice if you are buying it since you can almost get it at the same price as an NX F Sport Series 2 (but with less tech). You will should also get a higher resale value down the road with the RX.

2. How will the new vehicle be used? Short trips? Long trips? Or both? The seat comfort will influence your decision on the RX F Sport vs NX F Sport vs regular NX.

3. How important is fuel economy? The NX 200t will save you some fuel costs but not by much due to the 91 octane requirement. NX 300h, different story (87 octane...).

4. How much of the decision will be based on "emotion"? Things like having to own the newest model and styling?

5. On the flip side, how much of the decision will be based on the practical needs? Things like interior/cargo space, exterior size (smaller or larger is better for you?), safety tech features like park assist, pre-collision, BSM, DRCC, LKA, and so on?

6. How does a first-year model influence your decision from a risk perspective? Are you comfortable with industry-leading Lexus' reliability history and reputation, but if bugs or issues arise (as reported), it will not bother you?

7. How long can you wait to get a new car? As soon as your lease ends? Can you wait for later this year for the new RX if this is in the back of your mind? Still lots of speculation, but expect the RX to be a little bigger than the current RX and to resemble a "softer" less edgy NX (spy shot below).

My personal action - What I would do today is still buy the NX F Sport, why?

1. For the same reasons you mentioned like the head-turning styling.

2. My RX lease was up and I needed a new CUV. I love Lexus and always wanted a smaller compact CUV that fit better in my garage and in public parking spots.

3. The seats are not much of a problem to stop me from buying the vehicle. This is because my wife drives the NX majority of the time and she loves the seats and second, the NX will only be used 3-4 times per year on the longer family road trips. For those times, I will stop a little more frequently to take a break or as a fall-back plan, I will bring with me a thin sofa pillow to be placed on the bottom so that I can clear a little over the bolsters. I also believe that with time, the bolsters will soften up a little, but that's just my guess.

4. I love the ride on the NX thanks to the bump-smoothing Adaptive Variable Suspension resulting in a smoother ride in winter than the RX F Sport. The RX F Sport stiffens up in freezing weather making it a little harsh. But warmer weather - RX F Sport is great.

In short, much of my decision (emotional) comes from the fact that I love the prospect of getting into a new different vehicle. Which is why for this reason alone, the '15 RX would be out.

Hope this helps! If not, feel free to ask more.
wow...ask and you shall receive
thx Corrado ...appreciate the input.

The emotional decision plays a big part in my dilemma. I want the new look and the drive of a new model car ... but at the same time the RX deal is so sweet...
I actually went by the dealership again today and they are willing to unload the RX F Sport at an even lower price than the NX F Sport Series 2 price which makes my decision even harder. I have till Next Monday at the latest to make my decision so it gives me a few more days to pull my hair out.
Gas and size are not an issue at all for me.
Also one of the folks in the accounting department drives an NX F sport since early December and said that the seats DO get softer...and that is only after 1.5 months...so that eased my mind a bit.
I'm leaning towards the NX but the dealership keeps sweetening the deal on the RX F Sport.

My next step would be to try and see what goodies they can throw in on the NX...and living in Montreal, Quebec, the cars do get a beating over winter so looking for them to throw in winter tires on rims at the minimum

thx again for the info....I'll keep u posted on my decision.
Old 01-21-15, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Lived in Montreal most of my life so I know all about the rough roads

Did you test drive the RX F Sport? If not, see if you can test drive one that was out in the cold for a while and drive it on rough roads to see how you like the ride.

The RX pricing sounds incredible and I can see why you're torn. However, think about this. Have you ever purchased something "just because it was a great deal", but not because you really wanted it? If emotional plays a big part, and you're ok with the seats, I think you answered which vehicle you want.
Old 01-21-15, 07:00 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

small world ....you living in Montreal...
I've hit pot holes that looked like craters and have blown out all 4 tires at once thanks to this lovely city...right around spring time is the worst.

you hit the nail on the head when you said this..."Have you ever purchased something just because it was a great deal"... and to answer that question...I have and have always second guessed my decision.
Ohhh...btw, I did test drive the RX F Sport...which I found a tad stiffer than the 2010 RX I have.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the pricing on the RX F Sport, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in the NX...but they keep sweetening the deal every time I go there.

Also, they have an NX F Sport Series 2 just waiting there and I know the pressure tactics they use in trying to close the deal, but while I was at the dealership, 3 different customers went to look at it with 3 different sales people...and I personally know the Sales mgr at that dealership and he mentioned to me that there is at least a 2 mth wait on any other F sport package as demand is crazy high for this vehicle. I told him I';d let him know by Monday....which I may just fly by on friday instead and seal the deal (hopefully with some extras thrown in).

I think the dealership thinks I'm stalking them as I've gone in every day this week so far...its the NX drug....

Thx corrado agin for your input. appreciate it !

Quick Reply: My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison