NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 10:16 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Dude, when I was originally writing this I had included the phrase "...all other things being equal...", but I thought to myself, "Hell no, Swacie will totally geek out on this one - I'm taking that out!"

Gotta love ya.
Every automotive forum has at least one Cliff Clavin...and as Cliff would say, "Yeah, well look, on the face of it, this is all primafacious, noncorpus interruptus anyhow."
Old 12-08-15, 11:56 AM
online421
Rookie

Thanks for the comparison!
Old 12-14-15, 01:50 PM
nahanagat
Driver School Candidate

Well said and very insightful! Thanks!
Old 04-10-16, 10:56 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nahanagat
Well said and very insightful! Thanks!
Excellent comparison. Very detailed and accurate. I think they are both very good cars that you can't go wrong with.
Old 04-11-16, 06:21 AM
Fyrcat
Rookie

I went from a 1999 RX to the NX f-sport. As you all can imagine there was a world of difference. I purchased the RX new, and traded it towards the NX, it only had 94,000 original miles, in almost pristine condition and I only got $1700. from the dealer for it, I am still a little unhappy about that, but it was after all 17 years old. I miss the luxurious interior of the RX..but OMG driving the NX is so much fun it helps me forget my old RX.
Surprisingly, I measured my RX and the NX is 2" longer and a couple of inches wider, but 2-3 " shorter. My garage is super small and short. The new version of the RX would be too big for my space.
Thank you for your excellent comparison between the two cars...It validated my decision in buying the NX!
Old 03-20-18, 01:43 PM
steeltrain
Driver School Candidate

Here is a question I hope you can help with as I've searched the four corners and gotten nowhere. I take my dog with me everywhere, including work. On the way home I often have to run into the post office or other quick errands. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that won't allow me to lock the car while running and that seems insane to me. There MUST be an override for this somewhere or somehow - do you know? Dealerships pretend that it's impossible, I know that it is not. So, now I turn to the forums for answers before I return this car to dealership and start all over again. I won't have a car manufacturer controlling how I want to operate my car and that is what Lexus seems to be attempting to do here....Thanks.
Old 03-26-18, 08:35 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by steeltrain
Here is a question I hope you can help with as I've searched the four corners and gotten nowhere. I take my dog with me everywhere, including work. On the way home I often have to run into the post office or other quick errands. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that won't allow me to lock the car while running and that seems insane to me. There MUST be an override for this somewhere or somehow - do you know? Dealerships pretend that it's impossible, I know that it is not. So, now I turn to the forums for answers before I return this car to dealership and start all over again. I won't have a car manufacturer controlling how I want to operate my car and that is what Lexus seems to be attempting to do here....Thanks.
We don't have an NX, just researching, but I assume it will work like other Lexus models. I haven't tried it myself but can you keep the car running, roll down your driver's side door and reach in from the outside to lock the doors, then (while still outside the car) use the remote and hold one of the buttons to raise up all windows?
Old 03-27-18, 04:58 PM
steeltrain
Driver School Candidate

Angry Beginning to hate Lexus for this single override oversight....

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
We don't have an NX, just researching, but I assume it will work like other Lexus models. I haven't tried it myself but can you keep the car running, roll down your driver's side door and reach in from the outside to lock the doors, then (while still outside the car) use the remote and hold one of the buttons to raise up all windows?
No, I can't.
They have enginered this to be so incredibly annoying - it almost turns me off of Lexus - as if they have decided that vehicle owners are too stupid to have this option,so they erased it from any possibility. If I can't find an override, I will be getting a different car....

Thanks for the suggestion...any attempt to lock the doors while engine running, even without key near or with key on person, the doors will not lock. If I sit inside and lock the doors and then attempt to get out, they all unlock. If I attempt to get inside, lock the doors and CRAWL out through window...it locks the doors. Are you kidding me???
Old 03-27-18, 05:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

No, I can't.
They have enginered this to be so incredibly annoying - it almost turns me off of Lexus - as if they have decided that vehicle owners are too stupid to have this option,so they erased it from any possibility. If I can't find an override, I will be getting a different car....

Thanks for the suggestion...any attempt to lock the doors while engine running, even without key near or with key on person, the doors will not lock. If I sit inside and lock the doors and then attempt to get out, they all unlock. If I attempt to get inside, lock the doors and CRAWL out through window...it locks the doors. Are you kidding me???
Oh man, I just tried this on the LS. It was scary! With engine on and the window down I stepped out and reached in to lock the doors. I don't have the feature enabled where you can roll the windows up with the key fob, which was fortunate because I couldn't unlock the door anymore with the key fob! Had to reach back in to unlock the doors. Interesting and completely unexpected. I haven't tried this next idea yet but can you lock/unlock the doors with the manual key that's hidden inside the key fob (while engine is running)?
Old 03-27-18, 08:46 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh man, I just tried this on the LS. It was scary! With engine on and the window down I stepped out and reached in to lock the doors. I don't have the feature enabled where you can roll the windows up with the key fob, which was fortunate because I couldn't unlock the door anymore with the key fob! Had to reach back in to unlock the doors. Interesting and completely unexpected. I haven't tried this next idea yet but can you lock/unlock the doors with the manual key that's hidden inside the key fob (while engine is running)?
nn

First of all there is no feature that will raise the windows with the key fob. (Safety issue). The best way to have the car running while it is locked is to have a remote start. Downside is the car shuts off after 10 minutes.
Old 03-27-18, 09:05 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Marqevans
nn

First of all there is no feature that will raise the windows with the key fob. (Safety issue). The best way to have the car running while it is locked is to have a remote start. Downside is the car shuts off after 10 minutes.
Ah, right you are, Marqevans. I recall we can open and close all windows by turning the key in the door lock and mistakenly assumed the same option existed with the remote. I guess the remote just opens windows and sunroof.

It makes me wonder though, don't the windows detect if something is impeding their progress when closing (similar to minivan power sliding doors)? Would still hurt to get caught in the act though, I imagine.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-27-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 10:57 AM
steeltrain
Driver School Candidate

You are brilliant Father of 1! It took me almost an HOUR to get that key out of the extra fob (the main fob that key isn't coming out without a detonator!) and I tried it! IT WORKS! YAY - the engine remains on but to unlock it, the manual key has to be used again, now forcing me to find a way to drill a hole into the top of that little plastic bit so that it can be put on a key ring....whoever designed this at Lexus needs to be smacked! I've never had to go through this for this simple, necessary option! But at least there is a go-around to their insane refusal to allow the customer to decide if they want to leave the engine running while locking the vehicle for ANY reason, it's not for them to decide for us!

But your idea worked!! AT LAST!! Hopefully I can find a dealer who will make the key with a normal end so that it can be put on a key ring, right now, it's in a small gum tin in my purse! Eyes rolling at the absurdity of this forced issue - thanks Lexus for the annoyance!

But a REAL thanks to you Father of 1 for the brilliant idea that keeps my dog cool in the summer months so I can drop off dry cleaning or pick up milk!!
Old 03-28-18, 11:20 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

You are brilliant Father of 1! It took me almost an HOUR to get that key out of the extra fob (the main fob that key isn't coming out without a detonator!) and I tried it! IT WORKS! YAY - the engine remains on but to unlock it, the manual key has to be used again, now forcing me to find a way to drill a hole into the top of that little plastic bit so that it can be put on a key ring....whoever designed this at Lexus needs to be smacked! I've never had to go through this for this simple, necessary option! But at least there is a go-around to their insane refusal to allow the customer to decide if they want to leave the engine running while locking the vehicle for ANY reason, it's not for them to decide for us!

But your idea worked!! AT LAST!! Hopefully I can find a dealer who will make the key with a normal end so that it can be put on a key ring, right now, it's in a small gum tin in my purse! Eyes rolling at the absurdity of this forced issue - thanks Lexus for the annoyance!

But a REAL thanks to you Father of 1 for the brilliant idea that keeps my dog cool in the summer months so I can drop off dry cleaning or pick up milk!!
Glad to hear it worked, steeltrain! I learned a few new things about Lexus door locks too in this discussion, lol.
Old 07-26-18, 09:27 AM
grusso58
Driver School Candidate

Default Traded in my 2009 RX for a 2018 NX

Thanks for your note - I have to admit is was very nervous about moving to an NX from an RX. After a few months I have to admit I made the right move for me. I wanted to downsize and also take advantage of the new safety features in the NX. Of course the NX was also about $10K less than the new RX. I only miss a few things (performance, rain sensing wipers, extra cargo space). I really do appreciate the safety features.
Old 12-01-18, 09:48 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

EXCELLENT write up! I was debating a 2015 RX350 vs a 2017 NX200t. (Ended up with the 2017 NX200t). Wish I'd read this before I'd purchased.

Quick Reply: My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison