NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 01:00 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hi, you can but only if you buy to own the vehicle paying the full cost upfront. i.e., you will not be able to finance or lease via Lexus Canada, nor Lexus USA. You can get your own personal bank loan or line of credit so long as you show up with the full amount in Canada.

The other thing is you may need to pay duties on importing it back to the US and also check to see if you need to make any minor modifications to make the NX meet US DOT regulations. I know for importing a US vehicle to Canada, it needs to pass inspection and minor mods like the Daytime Running Lights need to be enabled in Canada.

As for servicing, you can go to Lexus USA, but for warranty claims, this can be tricky and Lexus USA may refuse you. However, things like roadside assistance is N. America-wide.

If you do want AVS (IMO it's really worth it), keep in mind though you need to get the top-of-the-line F Sport Series 2 which is $55K + all taxes (HST main one) and it's 61K Cdn. This model is loaded including HUD, BSM, RCTA, DRCC, Pre-Collision, LKA, sunroof, premium sound, NAV, etc. But note, no Enform for all Canadian Lexus vehicles.

61K Cdn divide by 1.2 (exchange rate today) = $51K USD (+ any other US-imposed fees)

If you're ok with this, come on up!
I have a question...if you are importing the CDN model to the US wouldn't you only have to pay US taxes & fees. Normally you only pay taxes where you register your car?
Old 06-23-15, 04:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I have a question...if you are importing the CDN model to the US wouldn't you only have to pay US taxes & fees. Normally you only pay taxes where you register your car?
There's duty as per here but not sure about state taxes or other fees.
Old 06-23-15, 05:34 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
There's duty as per here but not sure about state taxes or other fees.
You pay GST and then apply for a refund as a foreign citizen once you show export papers. You don't pay PST as you don't register in the province you bought the car, just apply for temporary plates or even easier, load it on a flat bed and transport it off.

Once in the State, you follow each states rules on how they treat imported vehicles, except for DOT compliance which is federally mandated.
Old 06-25-15, 01:51 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

No one responded to my point about gas mileage and discounts. If you can buy the RX with a heavy discount for nearly the same as an NX without much discount...and the gasoline cost per mile is the same, why would you NOT buy the bigger, more luxurious car? The RX gets 20 MPG combined and the NX 24 (both AWD) versions. But the NX requires premium fuel which is 40cents per gallon more here, versus the Rx which runs on regular. Almost identical cost per mile. Bigger car, same mileage, same cost...what am I missing?
Old 06-25-15, 02:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
No one responded to my point about gas mileage and discounts. If you can buy the RX with a heavy discount for nearly the same as an NX without much discount...and the gasoline cost per mile is the same, why would you NOT buy the bigger, more luxurious car? The RX gets 20 MPG combined and the NX 24 (both AWD) versions. But the NX requires premium fuel which is 40cents per gallon more here, versus the Rx which runs on regular. Almost identical cost per mile. Bigger car, same mileage, same cost...what am I missing?
Your point is valid, but even if priced equally, some people will be pulled toward the RX for the larger size, softer ride, and V6, yet others will find preference in the NX for it's sportier disposition, more compact size, and newer tech. If I didn't need the larger size of the RX, I'd happily go for an NX, even if the costs were the same.

I plan on trading in my RX with new new 4th gen model in a year or so, so I can have the new tech, sportier "NX" style, and yet keep the larger size of the RX that suits my family.
Old 06-25-15, 02:34 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

One could also argue that at 24 MPG it's less emissions per mile than 20 MPG. So if one were particularly environmentally conscious...
Old 06-26-15, 06:00 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
You aren't missing anything except that the criteria for you and others just may not be the same...so, in your case the RX made more sense.

I personally find the design of the now old RX to be very bland. I've driven the RX, and it did not seem remotely 'fun' to drive at all. I wanted something smaller with a good balance of luxury, performance, economy, and a bit of fun-to-drive factored into a great design that wasn't just another cookie cutter CUV. These were the things that were important to ME. I also think that anyone who can shell out $40+k for a vehicle is not sweating the price of gas anyway. There are plenty of other way more efficient vehicles out there for anyone who is.
Old 06-26-15, 06:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
One could also argue that at 24 MPG it's less emissions per mile than 20 MPG. So if one were particularly environmentally conscious...
That's only true if you're comparing the same car, in the identical shape, at the identical moment, with the identical wear on parts.

You compare a 10yr old 4 cylinder getting 30mpg to a brand new truck getting 20mpg, the older parts on the 4 cylinder (specifically the cats), you will probably find that the car getting better gas mileage is doing worse to the environment.

Perfect example, my Camaro will get 26mpg on the highway, pretty similar to the NX daily driving. My Camaro is running headers with high flow cats and an aggressive tune. I am polluting the air a LOT more with the Camaro because of my downstream setup compared to the NX even though our mileage is the same.

Same with when I had my 1991 Accord. At 200k miles, it still got 28mpg on the highway, but with degraded cats (before I gutted them), the emissions out of the car were much more severe than the NX could produce at this minute, even with the same gas mileage.

Now, we could debate the amount of fuel being injected into the combustion chamber per cycle if we want to get into this further and try to determine a better number, heck, we could even dig into this on the efficiency decline in spark plugs over life which will degrade the combustion cycle, which also raises emissions due to incomplete combustion. But, the moral to the story is emissions have more to do with the efficiency of the cycle and components downstream as compared to gas mileage alone.

Last edited by Swacer; 06-26-15 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 06:20 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

^^^ Trolling successful. Box ticked for the day.
Old 06-26-15, 06:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Trolling successful. Box ticked for the day.
its a boring Friday
Old 06-26-15, 06:42 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
its a boring Friday
Dude, when I was originally writing this I had included the phrase "...all other things being equal...", but I thought to myself, "Hell no, Swacie will totally geek out on this one - I'm taking that out!"

Gotta love ya.
Old 06-26-15, 06:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, when I was originally writing this I had included the phrase "...all other things being equal...", but I thought to myself, "Hell no, Swacie will totally geek out on this one - I'm taking that out!"

Gotta love ya.
lol Thank you for the bait hahahaha
Old 06-26-15, 07:08 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
You aren't missing anything except that the criteria for you and others just may not be the same...so, in your case the RX made more sense.

I personally find the design of the now old RX to be very bland. I've driven the RX, and it did not seem remotely 'fun' to drive at all. I wanted something smaller with a good balance of luxury, performance, economy, and a bit of fun-to-drive factored into a great design that wasn't just another cookie cutter CUV. These were the things that were important to ME. I also think that anyone who can shell out $40+k for a vehicle is not sweating the price of gas anyway. There are plenty of other way more efficient vehicles out there for anyone who is.
I would like to chime in as well, as I agree with your statement. The loaner car I had was the RX while the NX was getting the Differential fixed. The RX wasn't fun at all to drive, and it was full of rattles, terrible steering. My 2014 Highlander was a much better SUV and ride than the RX. I have often thought that the RX was over- rated, and that's why I bought the Highlander instead, and then when the NX came out, it was the perfect size. It is more fun to drive, and still gives a smooth, quiet ride. I think the size of the new RX is going to turn many people off. I know it has with many of my friends that have a current one, and they have commented on how impressed they are with the NX and the quiet, smooth ride, the size, and the fun factor. I think the NX will take sales from the new RX. Have a great weekend !
Old 06-26-15, 08:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I would like to chime in as well, as I agree with your statement. The loaner car I had was the RX while the NX was getting the Differential fixed. The RX wasn't fun at all to drive, and it was full of rattles, terrible steering.
One thing I've learned is to never judge a car by a loaner experience. I recently had my IS in for work and they gave me an RX loaner much like my own, and I hated it. I couldn't pinpoint it, but it just felt cheap and terrible. Then I get back to my own, optioned just how I like it, and it's like "ahhh...that's better!". No rattles after 20k miles, either. Best car I've ever owned.

My 2014 Highlander was a much better SUV and ride than the RX. I have often thought that the RX was over- rated, and that's why I bought the Highlander instead, and then when the NX came out, it was the perfect size. It is more fun to drive, and still gives a smooth, quiet ride.
Highlanders are great. We very seriously considered them when buying our RX. In the end, we just liked the RX and the Lexus dealer experience much better.

I think the size of the new RX is going to turn many people off. I know it has with many of my friends that have a current one, and they have commented on how impressed they are with the NX and the quiet, smooth ride, the size, and the fun factor. I think the NX will take sales from the new RX. Have a great weekend !
For everyone turned off by the slightly larger size of the new RX (5 inches longer), someone else will now find it to be perfect. This puts it now just over an inch larger than the Highlander. I really like the NX, but it's just too small for my family. The great thing about the NX is that it allows the RX to move upscale, and gives dealers a great range of vehicles to offer perspective buyers. The new RX should provide for a much more engaging drive than the current one.
Old 06-26-15, 08:24 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, I guess you have a point about the loaner cars, and it depends what the cars equipment has as well. I love the NX, but I'm sure I will test drive the new RX although it is bigger than I need. If it would have the same fun factor as the NX, who knows the outcome LOL.

Quick Reply: My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison