NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 03:46 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicely done! Thanks for the details - coming first hand from an owner of both makes them even more valuable.
Old 01-11-15, 06:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
Nicely done! Thanks for the details - coming first hand from an owner of both makes them even more valuable.
I have to says it one of the best comparo/reviews I have read on this site. I like the real pics that are not manufacturer supplied.
Old 01-11-15, 06:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks folks. Glad you found it informative.

Originally Posted by yowps3
Amazing comparison!! Keep up the good work

But I want to say whether you prefer the look of the RX's wing mirror where the entire housing is colour coded in comparison to the almost all black plastic looking wing mirror of the NX?

Also I don't know why Lexus no longer is using them retractable door pockets? Not only do they look very nice, they also serve a great practical purpose.

- A lack of courtesy door light is not good for any luxury vehicle
I prefer the smaller more chiseled mirror of the NX especially the chrome in it. I also am not too fond of a black mirror, nor the other black trim on the NX which is partly why I chose Obsidian so it blends better.

Retractable door pockets is likely a budget decision and a means to differentiate the higher end Lexus models as the lineup expands. I liked it on my 2IS and is missed on my 3IS but the 3IS budget was clearly focused on the car's driving dynamics which has placed the IS at the top of its class.

Courtesy door light on the inside door is not really needed since the outside door handles have each their own bright LED puddle lights that light up the ground in front of the doors (front and rear)! (See pic below)

In fact, I'll post this in the Interesting Discoveries Thread for easier future reference.

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Great write up Corrado! Thanks for Taking the time. Especially useful for us folks looking to transition from the RX to the NX.

Doesn't seem like we would be giving up all that much and gaining some in other areas.

My guess is that the next RX will be even bigger so the NX would have to be the goldilocks for my wife's car.

Please keep on posting!!
What you lose in some space and comfort, you gain in driving dynamics, tech, and build quality. I can only imagine how good the 4RX will be.

Originally Posted by ALE81
I really appreciate the comparison, Corrado. As a current RX and soon to be NX owner you pointed out some things that are a concern to me as well. We had a 1st gen RX for 13 years and this 3rd gen for a little over a year. My wife actually liked the size of the 1st gen a little better than her current NX but neither of us liked the huge turning radius of the older RX. I am hoping the smaller NX will be just right for her.
Regarding the lack of courtesy lights in the NX, do the door handles light up enough to light the ground? In the RX I believe the bottom of the side mirrors acts as the puddle light.
Thanks again for the great write up. Most informative!

Turning circle G1 RX = 41.3 ft vs 39.9 ft for the NX

RX has the incandescent puddle lights at the bottom of its mirrors. NX has its lights in each of its door handles that light downwards the ground in addition to a ring on top of each handle! (See pic below)

I'll also post this in the Interesting Discoveries Thread..

Originally Posted by spwolf
thanks so much for the comparo... just on the design, I would pick NX over RX any day of the week, both inside and out... fact that it has better quality and handling is just gravy on the top.

RX will likely be big step up from NX, but then again it will also likely be $8-$10k more base vs base.
Yes, the fact that the NX has a tighter build with some nicer materials over the 3RX looks extremely promising for the next RX. Can't wait to see how great it will be.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fantasic review and comparison.

I like both vehicles but I have to say it has been a while for Lexus to have new engine tech and stuff inside, I would probably buy the NX for the turbo alone. But I do like both.

Question for you:

Is your RX Japan made or from North America?
My RX was made in Canada, 50 km from my home . I know where you're going with this and it's a whole different discussion (discussed ad nauseum in other posts). I will say that I've seen Japan-built 450h with tighter dash gaps than mine. Coincidence?

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
With the RX getting a redesign coming soon possibly in 2016-2017. The quality gap between the two will soon be much closer. Lexus is overhauling every model of there lineup, i cannot wait until the RX gets BSM and a turbo engine.
I can only expect the 4RX to not only be better than the 3RX, but also better than the NX. It's right around the corner.

Originally Posted by Marqevans
The mileage advantage in the Chicago area is more than offset by premium gas costing 25% more than regular at the pump.
That's a big price bump, surprisingly worse than in Canada.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great write-up, Corrado. Looks like you killed two birds with one stone on this one. Excellent detail.

The NX200t I recently reviewed seemed to lack the excellent ride/handling combination yours had, as it was not equipped with the Adaptive Suspension option. But still, it was a reasonably good chassis. (still, it sounds like the extra money you spent on the F-Sport package, for your purposes, was a good move)

That might be true, but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.

I agree with almost all of your conclusions between the two........though, instead of a tie, I'd probably give the RX somewhat of the nod in the NVH department. I found the last RX V6 I drove to have a silky-smooth and quiet drivetrain...almost to LS standards. However, as a 3-time RX owner, you certainly have plenty of experience with them, and I respect that.

I have not driven the non-AVS F-Sport or even the standard NX at this time, but compared to the RX F-Sport especially in sub-freezing weather, my AVS-equipped NX has a notably smoother ride over bumps. I'm the most surprised and impressed by this fact alone as I expected a choppier ride especially since I was familiar with the latest RAV4. My dad owns it I can can confirm, the NX rides/drives much better than the RAV4 (hence the price premium).

The RX had zero margin of error when switching into reverse whereas most cars I've driven including the IS and now NX, allow a smooth reverse engagement even if you're not fully stopped but just barely moving.

NVH is tricky in particular road/tire noise since tire brand, remaining tread life, tire pressure, road surface, and road/tire temperature all play a role. The most accurate way to compare two vehicles is under the same conditions and with a dB meter which of course I haven't done. The main perceptible difference between the two is wind noise where it is better muted on the RX while the NX's 4 operated a little more quietly.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Really great comparison and covered everything. I have to hope that the 16 RX keeps the nicer interior touches reflecting what's kept the Gen III so popular.
I bet!

Below pics show the cool LED puddle lights and the lit door handle. Pics taken in complete darkness in my garage and you can see how well the floor is lit!
Attached Thumbnails My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison-nx_puddle1.jpg   My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison-nx_puddle2.jpg  
Old 01-11-15, 10:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I only asked if it was built in Japan because it would be two Japan built vehicles by Lexus you are comparing.

The details seem to be a little better in the NX. I think it has to do with it being a first gen model.
Old 01-12-15, 05:23 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent review of both.

I would also lean towards black so everything blends better such as wheel wells and mirrors and the rear valance. The white and other colors -IMHO- look too broken up by the black fender flares , black mirrors, black rear valance.
The Black blends perfectly -

Glad you got a chance to compare them this helps us with our decision. We are buying this yr late summer or early fall depending on the 2016's release dates. If they advance the 2016 enough or if they have deals on the 2015 - either way we are buying.

Thanks- great job.
Old 01-12-15, 09:48 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks CorradoMR2 for the great review. Really appreciate your effort to do such a detailed writeup and I enjoyed the reading.

This comparison is very useful for existing current generation RX owners such as myself who might switch to NX.

Glad you pointed out the lack of VDIM in NX. In fact VDIM is not present in NX in any country. Just hope Lexus might add it in the subsequent years, just like what they did with last generation IS250.

With respect to the gearbox, I like the 6-speed in NX rather than the 6-speed in regular RX that I have.

To differentiate NX and the next gen RX, I would speculate that Lexus might make 8-speed in all favours of RX.
Old 01-12-15, 01:17 PM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post! Informative, helpful and unique - thanks for your hard work.
Old 01-12-15, 02:22 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent comparison, very detailed and helpful, thanks.
Old 01-12-15, 02:45 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice write up. I have a question about the seats. The Lexus website lists Nu Luxe seats for the F Sport. Are those leather or vinyl?
Old 01-12-15, 03:48 PM
GregsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX vs NX compaarison

I came out of a 2010 RX and purchased the NX, I love the NX but I also loved the RX. People need to be aware that the NX is NOT an RX.
I find your comparison "spot on" and thank you.
One thing I don't like on the NX is the exposed rear wiper blade; I find it unsightly and it invites vandalism.
Question--where did you find the grocery bins that you have pictured in the cargo area?

Thanks again for your work and input on this.

GO LEXUS
Old 01-12-15, 05:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thank you for the comments!

Originally Posted by rVague
Nice write up. I have a question about the seats. The Lexus website lists Nu Luxe seats for the F Sport. Are those leather or vinyl?
NuLuxe is Lexus brand for vinyl seats. BMW calls them leatherette for instance. F-Sport seats in the N.A. market are only offered in Nuluxe, but don't take this as a negative since the materials not only feel buttery soft like the best leathers but crease far less and are easier to maintain.

Originally Posted by GregsLexus
I came out of a 2010 RX and purchased the NX, I love the NX but I also loved the RX. People need to be aware that the NX is NOT an RX.
One thing I don't like on the NX is the exposed rear wiper blade; I find it unsightly and it invites vandalism.
Question--where did you find the grocery bins that you have pictured in the cargo area?

GO LEXUS
Agree on the wiper blade and I'm sure it was put there to have a small upsell point for the RX's more premium hidden blade.

Grocery bins are from Loblaws for 5$ a piece, a big grocery chain in Canada. Had them for about 5 years now and still going strong! :Thumbup:
Old 01-13-15, 01:41 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Thank you.
Old 01-15-15, 06:56 AM
GregsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came out of a 2010 RX and have purchased the NX which I love. Your comparisons are "spot on".
Question --- Where did you purchase the bins you have pictured in the trunk area of the vehicle?
Old 01-15-15, 07:56 AM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review on the AVS system. It's good to see that the suspension system does help with making the ride in F-Sport more comfy.

The NX trunk filled with green Loblaws Superstore bins made my day! It's good to know they can all fit into the back of the NX.
Old 01-15-15, 02:42 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GregsLexus

GO LEXUS
Here is my take -- we have the current generation RX and find the design of the top mounted, hidden wiper is a double sword. While it definitely has a better aesthetic when compared to the bottom mounted wiper like in the NX, hand washing the area around the hidden wipers could be chore and tricky.

As any wiper would leave a line of dirt underneath, it is also difficult to do a quick wipe of the rubber because it is hidden and above.

So we minimize the usage of the rear wiper on our RX. It is also related to our concern about wearing off the tinting of the back window as it is common among some RX owners in the forum. I guess the hidden wiper plays some contribution because you can't just wipe the wipers with wet towel when a need arises.

On the other hand, the NX bottom wiper design is common also in other car makes as well including its competitors from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, etc..

Quick Reply: My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison