NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!

Old 01-09-15, 01:01 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
We have a new generation MDX (2014). If you have any questions please feel free to message me.
awesome! thanks for the community support, even on other cars!
Old 01-09-15, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

From an NX to an MDX is a pretty sizable jump in size...
Old 01-09-15, 01:57 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
i don't think i can convince my wife any further on getting the NX F Sport. This is mainly due to the fact that the seat shape is very similar if not identical to the 3IS F Sport seats. My wife complains being 5'4" average build, that the 3IS seats are low and deep. So when she sits back on the passenger side, the massive lower side bolsters push her arms and elbow a little forward while she's sitting and it makes it an uncomfortable ride when in the car for more than 15 mins. Good thing I'm garaging it and just bought an Altima as my dd. I think we may just go for the MDX instead, bigger engine, good styling, extremely comfortable, and the SH-AWD beats practically every competitor except for Land/Range Rovers.
I think regarding the foam you're right about that. I recall reading any article mentioning that part of the reason why the 3IS seats are so comfortable to most is because they put the cover on, then inject the gel expanding foam into the NuLux, making it much more plush. I don't think they used to the same engineering practice on the NX, therefore must of used regular foam agents thus the harder feel in material.
I also think its ridiculously funny the number of guys on the forum who mentions they need their wife's support/concurrence before getting the NX or other vehicle (myself included lol)
The NX seats are injection moulded, just like the 3IS seats. They're made with exactly the same process.

I'm 5'10, and about 180 pounds, and I found the seats to be fine. My wife is 5'5, about 125 pounds and she finds the seats to be fine also.

The MDX does seem to be a much bigger vehicle than the NX though; not saying it's better or worse, but it is in a different segment.
Old 01-13-15, 05:00 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
From an NX to an MDX is a pretty sizable jump in size...
Originally Posted by Nights

The MDX does seem to be a much bigger vehicle than the NX though; not saying it's better or worse, but it is in a different segment.
i agree with both of you guys. it is a significant jump and the segment is totally different. i originally was looking to get a compact midsize suv/cuv. i narrowed it down between the rdx and the nx, however, the rdx is totally out of the picture as it doesn't even have simple things available like BSM. was hooked on the nx for several months until the pricing came out. i was just so astonished that the nx could cost between $46k-$52k depending on how i configured it. i thought well hell, for the same price, and technology, i can get the mdx for that. granted i don't need the size that the mdx offers, and the nx definitely wins out on looks, but i just feel somehow i get more of a value so to speak. i'm aiming for two kids, but you'll never know, maybe one day i'll need that third row. sorry to jack the thread and talking about the mdx lol.
Old 01-13-15, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Having driven the MDX, if one was looking for a small sporty CUV I don't know why you would want an MDX. It's a very nice family hauler, but there isn't anything sporty, especially luxurious, dynamic, or interesting about it.

If you don't need the space...I don't get it. I'd much rather have a myriad of other vehicles.
Old 01-13-15, 11:55 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Having driven the MDX, if one was looking for a small sporty CUV I don't know why you would want an MDX. It's a very nice family hauler, but there isn't anything sporty, especially luxurious, dynamic, or interesting about it.

If you don't need the space...I don't get it. I'd much rather have a myriad of other vehicles.
you make a very good point, though i never did say i wanted a sporty cuv, i guess this is implied since i mentioned i liked F Sport model. In terms of handling i don't really care for an suv/cuv to handle like my 3IS, that would defeat the purpose of owning the 3IS sort of. i really only like the NX F Sport for its front end, cause we all know the base version is soooo god awful! i think the MDX looks a tad sporty and sharp, it may not be as nimble around corners as the NX, but i know its sh-awd system will lap circles around the NX all day. true, being a sports car enthusiast, i typically gravitate towards something a little smaller, nimble, agile, but i guess i'm a sucker when it comes to value, therefore that may be why my eyes are turning towards the mdx instead of the nx, i mean isn't that one of the perks of owning the 3IS, any lexus, or japanese car as well? sure its a little underpowered compared to its german competitors, but you get decent power, just as good of luxury, and most importantly reliability and value. in the case of the cuv/suv battle, i guess the value (getting a more for the money) kinda made my swing decision.

Last edited by AdvanSLF; 01-13-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you make a very good point, though i never did say i wanted a sporty cuv, i guess this is implied since i mentioned i liked F Sport model. In terms of handling i don't really care for an suv/cuv to handle like my 3IS, that would defeat the purpose of owning the 3IS sort of. i really only like the NX F Sport for its front end
Then you never really were a buyer for what makes the NX the NX.
Old 01-13-15, 02:45 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I test drove an F Sport this weekend to see if the seats were a show stopper for me.

Sitting in it while driving was fine. And my wife had no issue in the passenger seat.

But we both noticed it when getting out, as the bolster dug into our thighs (I'm 5'9" 160lbs).

So that kind of eliminated it from the running and I'm just focused on the regular 200t.

I will miss the option of paddle shifters though...
Old 01-13-15, 04:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
I test drove an F Sport this weekend to see if the seats were a show stopper for me.

Sitting in it while driving was fine. And my wife had no issue in the passenger seat.

But we both noticed it when getting out, as the bolster dug into our thighs (I'm 5'9" 160lbs).

So that kind of eliminated it from the running and I'm just focused on the regular 200t.

I will miss the option of paddle shifters though...

It's too bad but understandable and the good thing is the 200t is still an option.
Old 01-13-15, 08:54 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with both of you guys. it is a significant jump and the segment is totally different. i originally was looking to get a compact midsize suv/cuv. i narrowed it down between the rdx and the nx, however, the rdx is totally out of the picture as it doesn't even have simple things available like BSM. was hooked on the nx for several months until the pricing came out. i was just so astonished that the nx could cost between $46k-$52k depending on how i configured it. i thought well hell, for the same price, and technology, i can get the mdx for that. granted i don't need the size that the mdx offers, and the nx definitely wins out on looks, but i just feel somehow i get more of a value so to speak. i'm aiming for two kids, but you'll never know, maybe one day i'll need that third row. sorry to jack the thread and talking about the mdx lol.
The Acura RDX is being refreshed for 2016 and likely to be out in June or July of 2015. Among the improvements expected are more tech features like BSM. Also the Audi Q5 is likely to be out in August or September as a complete remodel as well.

Regarding the MDX we like everything about ours except for the Nav system operation. It is much quieter than past generations and is my favorite highway traveler that I've owned. We like the understated luxury nature and tech features of our Advance package black/black. It does get pricy loaded up however. We feel it drives smaller than its size. A nice all-around choice in our opinion.
Old 01-14-15, 08:19 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Then you never really were a buyer for what makes the NX the NX.
i'm lost what are we still talking about here? what exactly makes up an NX then? 90% new--yes, but a RAV4 chassis with a new shell with nicer lines, edgy design, good comforts and ergonomics, splash of luxury, mild sportiness, not a RAV4 and definite not an SQ5, somewhere in between. Did i miss anything? hm... yep definitely sounds like the car i was interested in at first. 9 months later and Lexus reveals the average $48k price tag for the NX which makes me want to go to prison with a bar of soap and bend over for everyone bc that's how i feel, i'm getting raped by that price tag for that little of a car/cuv. you gotta give me a bit more power if you're asking for that much. as mentioned, i did like it a first, but from a value perspective, i'll pass. so if value isn't it's game, and power surely isn't there, and every magazine has said the ride to be tolerant at times slightly stiff, what else am I missing which makes up the NX?

Originally Posted by Husker4the
The Acura RDX is being refreshed for 2016 and likely to be out in June or July of 2015. Among the improvements expected are more tech features like BSM. Also the Audi Q5 is likely to be out in August or September as a complete remodel as well.

Regarding the MDX we like everything about ours except for the Nav system operation. It is much quieter than past generations and is my favorite highway traveler that I've owned. We like the understated luxury nature and tech features of our Advance package black/black. It does get pricy loaded up however. We feel it drives smaller than its size. A nice all-around choice in our opinion.
nice, i was wondering when the new model or refresh would come. lets just hope they'll put out some glame on this model, better nav and infotainment system, tech (BSM), and styling like the edginess of the MDX. still got a year to purchase so my mind is still open.
Old 01-14-15, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i'm lost what are we still talking about here? what exactly makes up an NX then? 90% new--yes, but a RAV4 chassis with a new shell with nicer lines, edgy design, good comforts and ergonomics, splash of luxury, mild sportiness, not a RAV4 and definite not an SQ5, somewhere in between. Did i miss anything? hm... yep definitely sounds like the car i was interested in at first. 9 months later and Lexus reveals the average $48k price tag for the NX which makes me want to go to prison with a bar of soap and bend over for everyone bc that's how i feel, i'm getting raped by that price tag for that little of a car/cuv. you gotta give me a bit more power if you're asking for that much. as mentioned, i did like it a first, but from a value perspective, i'll pass. so if value isn't it's game, and power surely isn't there, and every magazine has said the ride to be tolerant at times slightly stiff, what else am I missing which makes up the NX?
My point is if you are a buyer that equates value with size then the NX is not a vehicle designed for you. Its like saying the IS is a poor value because somebody can buy an ES, or an Avalon, or a Buick Lacrosse for the same money. You own an IS, so obviously you don't agree with that statement...but its the same statement you're making when you say the NX is a poor value compared to an MDX simply because its smaller. They're different vehicles. Hell, for what your IS cost I could buy a Chevy Impala...and thats way bigger so surely its a better value...right?

Pricewise when you compare the NX to its peers its not a poor value...you just are looking for size for money and thats not the NX. The NX is a lot more nimble, personal, fun to drive and interesting than an MDX. The MDX is bigger...thats really all...but really its not comparable.

Just because a vehicle doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean its a poor vehicle or a poor value. Not everybody wants a big vehicle, in fact the reasons companies keep coming out with smaller and smaller CUVs is the demand is there for them. Its not always about buying something smaller because its cheaper.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-14-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 08:38 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

My point is if you are a buyer that equates value with size then the NX is not a vehicle designed for you. Its like saying the IS is a poor value because somebody can buy an ES, or an Avalon, or a Buick Lacrosse for the same money. You own an IS, so obviously you don't agree with that statement...but its the same statement you're making when you say the NX is a poor value compared to an MDX simply because its smaller. They're different vehicles. Hell, for what your IS cost I could buy a Chevy Impala...and thats way bigger so surely its a better value...right?

Pricewise when you compare the NX to its peers its not a poor value...you just are looking for size for money and thats not the NX. The NX is a lot more nimble, personal, fun to drive and interesting than an MDX. The MDX is bigger...thats really all...but really its not comparable.

Just because a vehicle doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean its a poor vehicle or a poor value.
have you been on the forum this entire time waiting to respond? lol. okay, i agree with you, for the most part. let's get back to our real jobs.
Old 01-26-15, 07:32 PM
ALE81
Driver

For you guys that have had your F-Sport NX for 1+ months, are the seat bolsters starting to soften up any?
Old 01-26-15, 07:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Improved seating position found

Originally Posted by ALE81
For you guys that have had your F-Sport NX for 1+ months, are the seat bolsters starting to soften up any?
Almost 1 month, and it's slightly softer but only put on 700 km (~450 miles) so far. The other factor that would help soften it up is warmer sunny weather. Case in point - The seat is slightly stiffer when the car is left outside in freezing temps than if left in my warmer garage. It also softens up a little during the ride after it heats up.

Another thing to add is I found a "sweeter" spot in my seat positioning such that the bolster intrudes less. In short, my seat is about 1 inch further back than I would usually have it and the bottom seat cushion is set to its lowest points both fore and aft. Result is my legs stretch out longer and straighter lessening my right leg to bend outwards to the right (against the bolster).

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-26-15 at 07:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Sport Seats - Holy Bolstering!