NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

corradoMR2's "Darth NX" Build Thread

Old 01-04-15, 07:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Ever think of selling some of your ideas? Like the seat belt covers?
Thanks! Maybe I should!

Originally Posted by Wagnerian
The wheels are perfect match for Obsidian. I'd love to know how they affect the ride quality. BTW what did you do with the original set of wheels and tires. Do dealers buy them back? Do you just hold on to them or sell them on eBay?
Ride quality is surprisingly very similar to the stock higher profile Michelin MXM4s. I did a tonne of research before pulling the trigger on the Parada Spec X as they are the softest, smoothest and among the quietest tires of this size and class. These tires do not disappoint!

Holding onto the OEM wheels/tires for now but may sell them starting in the classifieds in CL.

Originally Posted by DenM54
Nice and Once Again...looks like something that should have been on the car when it was originally built.
Thanks for the compliment. It's what I was aiming for all along.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Looks great! I love the wheels!
Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Wagnerian
Looking sharp. That is one totally mean looking machine. Your car makes me second guess for not sticking with Obsidian.
Nah, MRM is a great color too and a reason why I've owned two MRM Lexus' before.

Originally Posted by rwong
awesome mods @corradoMR2!

How are you liking the NuLuxe seating compared to a RX F-Sport?
Nuluxe is buttery soft, more so than the RX's F-Sport leather ever was. And more durable (speaking from CT and IS experience). However, the NX F-Sport seats are firmer with more aggressive bottom and side bolstering that may not be well suited for longer drives and wider bodies.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's awesome - when it's clean.
Thanks. It's still clean... finger's crossed the weather holds up a little longer!

Originally Posted by Speedblade
Looks amazing!

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The chrome strip on the bottom sill is a stroke of genius. It compliments and balances the chrome strip around the windows. Well done, it looks like it belongs there.
Thanks for the great compliment. Was the plan from Day 1 to make it look OEM despite my own personal touch.

Originally Posted by ABC
Looks great! Nice mods!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This NX is too sick !
I've said this a few month's back in Car Chat, your Obsidian 2IS and chrome trim contrast was a strong influence in my choice of this color and some of the details I worked on.

Originally Posted by sosobri805
Super clean Corrado those mods make a heck of a diffrence !! May I ask you a question? Hows your fuel efficiency with the 20s compared to stock?
Thanks! Fuel economy is still a little early, but I did notice a slight increase in rolling resistance and what I'm guesstimating to be about a 5% decrease in fuel economy. I expected this due to the 30 mm wider contact patch on all fours and moving from Low Rolling Resistance "Green X" Michelins to regular "performance SUV" tires.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-04-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 05:04 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations! You improved a car that is difficult to improve...
Old 01-05-15, 05:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks! Maybe I should!
Consider it, because I would probably throw some of my money your way lol
Old 01-05-15, 01:01 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

It looks awesome with those wheels and tint.. Very nice..
Old 01-05-15, 07:11 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, the NX F-Sport seats are firmer with more aggressive bottom and side bolstering that may not be well suited for longer drives and wider bodies.
Please keep us updated on your feelings about the F Sport seats and the bolstering. This is one of my fears ... that they'll be uncomfortable on long drives. I am a bit of a wider body lower body wise so I'm hoping I can make them work.
Old 01-05-15, 07:44 PM
arthur520
Driver School Candidate

Corrado, LOVE what you did to the NX! Look, I don't even own an NX, and came here just to see what you've done to yours. Ha. Nice job though, man.
Old 01-06-15, 12:56 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These two are the best angles. Looks absolutely awesome. I bet it looks mean as hell at night! "Something Wicked This Way Comes"
Old 01-06-15, 05:37 AM
Lizzler
Driver School Candidate

Great work! The custom touches bring it all the way home. I'm looking for wheels for the NX 200t F Sport and I'm really liking what you did here. Nobody is really advertising anything yet for the NX I guess because it's too soon. Could you advise what specs I should be looking for? 60.1 and 30mm offset with 5 lug? Looks like I'll need hub rings, but most offsets I'm seeing are 38mm. If you don't mind me asking--What did it cost to have your wheels custom bored? Mine arrives next week. Can't wait!! Thank you.
Old 01-06-15, 06:24 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizzler
Great work! The custom touches bring it all the way home. I'm looking for wheels for the NX 200t F Sport and I'm really liking what you did here. Nobody is really advertising anything yet for the NX I guess because it's too soon. Could you advise what specs I should be looking for? 60.1 and 30mm offset with 5 lug? Looks like I'll need hub rings, but most offsets I'm seeing are 38mm. If you don't mind me asking--What did it cost to have your wheels custom bored? Mine arrives next week. Can't wait!! Thank you.
I saw my first NX commercial on TV last night. It's pitched to the young audience. Edgy ad showing fun lifestyle. Don't remember the network, but it was one of the big three, ABC, CBS or NBC. I think we will be seeing more NX commercials soon.
Ray A.
Old 01-06-15, 07:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default NX Wheel Specs

Thanks for the compliments folks.

@Husker4the: I have been putting my fist down with my body's weight (180 lbs) on it for a couple minutes at a time on the right bottom bolster and I feel it is softening it a little.

@Lizzler: Wheels...
Braelin BR-02 (in the US, Ace Convex)
114.3 x 5
20x8.5"
+35mm offset (I wouldn't go higher than 40mm or suspension may rub, or lower to +30mm personally since the wheel will stick out more than what you see with mine at 35 mm. Mine are almost flush with the top of the fender which still allows for safe wheel travel without rolling the fenders).
60.1 mm bore (for a perfect hubcentric fit). Braelin (and I believe Ace too) ships them custom bored as part of the purchase of the wheel.
You will need new skinnier lug nuts with these wheels. I got black ones (pic below). I believe the thread is 12.5. If you get them installed at a professional aftermarket wheel installer, they should have the right ones.
Weight: 27.6 lbs . This is the best part about these wheels is they are about 4 Lbs lighter than the stock F Sport 18" wheels (~31 lbs)! Of course the 20" tire weighs more, however the overall 20" wheel/tire weight is just 0.8 lbs heavier at 59.8 lbs vs the stock overall @ 59.0 lbs. This creates the same ride comfort I had with the Michelin 18"s!
Attached Thumbnails corradoMR2's "Darth NX" Build Thread-nx_nuts.jpg   corradoMR2's "Darth NX" Build Thread-nx_wheelweight.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 11:30 PM
Lizzler
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the compliments folks.

@Lizzler: Wheels...
Braelin BR-02 (in the US, Ace Convex)
114.3 x 5
20x8.5"
+35mm offset
Thank you, my up north friend. Dealer told me any day now, so I'm getting prepared for a couple of my own customs. Really would like slightly larger wheels and to make the side and fenders match the body as close as possible (eminem white pearl ha). Just worried about NYC and the bottomless potholes we have here. Is there enough rubber on the Paradas to help soften a blow from one of these ugly potholes? Just worried other driver might smack right into one since she doesn't like to swerve to avoid them.
Old 01-07-15, 05:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Lizzler
Thank you, my up north friend. Dealer told me any day now, so I'm getting prepared for a couple of my own customs. Really would like slightly larger wheels and to make the side and fenders match the body as close as possible (eminem white pearl ha). Just worried about NYC and the bottomless potholes we have here. Is there enough rubber on the Paradas to help soften a blow from one of these ugly potholes? Just worried other driver might smack right into one since she doesn't like to swerve to avoid them.
It's too early to predict the behavior of the Paradas on potholes - I try to avoid them. But the road imperfections (no major potholes yet) I've encountered have been absorbed well from these tires and the NX as a whole (note I do have AVS). These specific tires are load rated (105) higher than the stock A/S tires (99). In addition, they are "XL" reinforced rated for relatively higher load/impact resistance. Also, remember, the Paradas are considered sport truck tires you also see mounted on 3 tonne Escalades so they are designed for the greater load and rolling resistance of SUVs as opposed to a higher performing touring or A/S performance tires for sedans and coupes.

Oh, and guess which tire the concept had?

Took them out on the first 2" snow fall this morning and snow traction was surefooted.
Attached Thumbnails corradoMR2's "Darth NX" Build Thread-lexus-lf-nx-concept-front-three-quarters.jpg  
Old 01-07-15, 12:06 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too early to predict the behavior of the Paradas on potholes - I try to avoid them. But the road imperfections (no major potholes yet) I've encountered have been absorbed well from these tires and the NX as a whole (note I do have AVS). These specific tires are load rated (105) higher than the stock A/S tires (99). In addition, they are "XL" reinforced rated for relatively higher load/impact resistance. Also, remember, the Paradas are considered sport truck tires you also see mounted on 3 tonne Escalades so they are designed for the greater load and rolling resistance of SUVs as opposed to a higher performing touring or A/S performance tires for sedans and coupes.

Oh, and guess which tire the concept had?

Took them out on the first 2" snow fall this morning and snow traction was surefooted.
Corrado,

nice pics. quick question for you- I have been toying with the idea of aftermarket wheels for the RX F sport and had a set picked out (Niche Targas in black). I had not seen the Braelins you got, and really like that they are hubcentric. Price online is pretty comparable too (maybe $50-75 more expensive than the Niches). Anyway, any issues with the quality of the wheels so far? And in your research did you come across other manufacturers that offer hubcentric wheels for around the same price as the Braelins?
Old 01-07-15, 04:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Corrado,

nice pics. quick question for you- I have been toying with the idea of aftermarket wheels for the RX F sport and had a set picked out (Niche Targas in black). I had not seen the Braelins you got, and really like that they are hubcentric. Price online is pretty comparable too (maybe $50-75 more expensive than the Niches). Anyway, any issues with the quality of the wheels so far? And in your research did you come across other manufacturers that offer hubcentric wheels for around the same price as the Braelins?
In the US, have you tried Ace Alloy Wheels? "Convex" is the identical model to the Braelin BR-02. I haven't come across any other wheel company that custom bores their wheels to spec.
Old 01-07-15, 05:29 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Finally got a chance to sit in the F Sport today. They are REALLY bolstered. Even more than I anticipated. More than the IS for sure. Has me really concerned about overall comfort and comfort for larger passengers. I'm gonna have to do some more thinking. Hmmmm ... I'm certainly not extremely overweight but am wider across the hips (5'11" 195 lbs) than some and I'm not sure how I felt about them for myself. Anyone else care to chime in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: corradoMR2's "Darth NX" Build Thread