NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 03:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Scarecrow2: When I received my Lexus NX 200t the tire pressure reading by the remotes with cold tires were as high as 35 psi on two tires.

I manually (gauge in hand) reset the tires to 32 psi as the Lexus book calls out. The in dash reading said the tires were at 30 psi and one tire triggered the tire alarm. I increased the pressure to 33 psi and car reading was 31psi. Shouldn't this be reading closer than a delta of 2 psi?
It seems to me it should be reading exactly what the tires are at in this day and age.

I had to reset the sensors to clear the false fault and it still didn't help.
Keep in mind there is likely a margin of error with your gauge too. Also, not sure if you gave the TPMS time to measure and register the pressure after a couple minutes of driving.

However, with that said, I just checked my cold tire pressure and it's at 34 psi whereas the car indicates 32, so likely the car's TPMS is off a little.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-01-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 04:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
AND if you didn't know this already, you can use our app, Carista, to change your Lexus Personalized Settings by yourself - even the dealer-only ones! We don't support 100% of them, but we're pretty close. Give it a try
(available for Android right now and about to be released for iOS within a week or two)
Please let us know when the iOS app has been released for our Apple phones.
Old 03-01-15, 07:33 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
...about to be released for iOS within a week or two)
Please do let us know when the iVersion is out. I would be happy to beta test it for you if needed as well.
Old 03-01-15, 07:36 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
However, with that said, I just checked my cold tire pressure and it's at 34 psi whereas the car indicates 32, so likely the car's TPMS is off a little.
Oops...my TPMS always shows about 38PSI. Guess I'll need to take care of that!
Old 03-02-15, 06:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spcran4d
Keep in mind, you are in GA where the temperature is probably 40 degrees warmer than MR2 sees in Canada right now. Air pressure changes a lot with relative temperature and humidity.

Just keep the cold tire pressure where the door seal says to, thats all.
Old 03-02-15, 09:02 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the manual my tire size shows 32psi and my Info Center shows 37-39psi. I just left my dealer and the Service tech said in our area (FL) they set psi to 37-39 for FL weather and that's where it should be. Down here 32psi would wear out the tires quickly.
Old 03-02-15, 09:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GlenK
In the manual my tire size shows 32psi and my Info Center shows 37-39psi. I just left my dealer and the Service tech said in our area (FL) they set psi to 37-39 for FL weather and that's where it should be. Down here 32psi would wear out the tires quickly.
That...makes no sense to me.

32 is determined to be the optimal tire pressure for the car. Going up to 37-39 is not good either.

You will instead wear out the center of the tire tread because now the tire is over inflated.

Come to think of it, that makes even less sense because even direct sunlight can heat a tire and raise the tire pressure. If you're at 37psi, and you park in front of a 90F sun, you can easily get over 40psi just sitting still.
Old 03-02-15, 09:30 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spcran4d
It can't "always" show 38psi. Is it 38psi when you start the car on cold tires, or after they are warm? You will gain 2-3psi between cold and hot tires.
Old 03-02-15, 09:34 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Swacer
That...makes no sense to me.

32 is determined to be the optimal tire pressure for the car. Going up to 37-39 is not good either.

You will instead wear out the center of the tire tread because now the tire is over inflated.

Come to think of it, that makes even less sense because even direct sunlight can heat a tire and raise the tire pressure. If you're at 37psi, and you park in front of a 90F sun, you can easily get over 40psi just sitting still.
That's what a master certified tech at Lexus told me. Surprised me too but I'm doing what they told me.
He said it in front of my sales guy too..
Old 03-02-15, 10:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

That's what a master certified tech at Lexus told me. Surprised me too but I'm doing what they told me.
If i've learned anything from dealing with dealerships...is you want to take as little advice from a dealership as possible. Because they aren't nearly as smart as you give them credit for.

I'm not going to stand up on a soapbox and say what you should do, but I would really rethink that air pressure.
Old 03-02-15, 03:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Agree with @swacer that the static tire pressure of 37-39 psi is too high especially in hotter climates. Tires can wear a little more in the center. On long highway rides in extremely hot weather, the risk of a tire blowout is increased. I'm at 33-34 psi (actual) just 1-2 psi above manufacturer recommended as I find it's the best compromise to ride comfort, handling, fuel economy, and tire wear.

NOTE: I made an error in my previous post regarding the tire pressure readings. 34 psi was inside my garage (50 deg F) while the TPMS readout was 32 psi about an hour prior when I had driven for a quick errand and parked it outdoors (10 deg F).

In short, my NX's TPMS reading versus my digital tire gauge are both the same with nominal difference of maybe 0.5 psi at most.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-02-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 05:21 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm at 33-34 psi (actual) just 1-2 psi above manufacturer recommended as I find it's the best compromise to ride comfort, handling, fuel economy, and tire wear..
I agree with the 33-34 psi. For as long as I can remember I've used that pressure in my cars.
The main thing is to check your tire pressure at least once a month as seasons change.
Old 03-03-15, 04:34 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Glen, my NX was delivered to me with 39 psi also here in Florida. While inspecting my NX before taking it home I noticed the tire pressures on the TPMS and commented to my salesman that 39 was high but he said it was OK.
Reading these comments has me worried. If corrado agrees with swacer than I have to take note. The sticker on the NX says 32psi cold. The tire sidewall says max pressure 51 psi.

I'm going to lower my pressures until I find out more from Lexus.

I'm wondering if they are inflated that high just to get better mpg's?
Old 03-03-15, 04:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Glen, my NX was delivered to me with 39 psi also here in Florida. While inspecting my NX before taking it home I noticed the tire pressures on the TPMS and commented to my salesman that 39 was high but he said it was OK.
Reading these comments has me worried. If corrado agrees with swacer than I have to take note. The sticker on the NX says 32psi cold. The tire sidewall says max pressure 51 psi.

I'm going to lower my pressures until I find out more from Lexus.

I'm wondering if they are inflated that high just to get better mpg's?
They absolutely have you over inflating the tires to help with gas mileage. Think of it this way, if the tire is over inflated, your tire begins to form a U shape, in which your contact pad has decreased. Less rubber touching the grounds = less rolling resistance = higher mpg. However, this is a short term gain that is only going to wear the center of your tire out. So how many dollars did you save to kill a $150 tire in 10,000 miles?

Furthermore, with the heavy rain you guys get in Florida during hurricane season, keep in mind that by over inflating, you are rendering the side tread on your tire useless because its never really contacting the ground.

Always trust whats inside the door when utilizing the factory wheels. If you change wheels, then you can look into another pressure that works best for that wheel and the tire combination.
Old 03-03-15, 05:08 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Inflate gate Lexus style...

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)