NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 06:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts
Default NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Now that we are having first hand experience with our NX's, let's share in any findings that have been discovered through ownership.

To kick this off, a nice feature discovered is that the five height adjustment for the rear hatch is easily done in the Personalized Settings on the display screen.

Edit: I measured the max heights of settings 5 and 4:

84" and 77" respectively.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-wp_20141230_12_50_29_pro.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-30-14 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 07:35 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good
Sound quality of HD Radio. Several customization available. I set mine to lock after moving faster than 12mph and display MPG after refuel instead of after reset.

Bad
Sound quality of MP3 music

I will try to do mini write up once I hit 1,000 miles so it probably will be in February.
Old 12-30-14, 07:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So the sound quality with an iPod is not so good? I was wondering because I saw they moved away from the Mark Levinson system in the NX for something completely different. The ML system in my GS is outstanding and I love the car, but I really like the NX interior and utility. Would love feedback. Maybe there's a thread on the sound system and I missed it?
Old 12-30-14, 09:15 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
So the sound quality with an iPod is not so good? I was wondering because I saw they moved away from the Mark Levinson system in the NX for something completely different. The ML system in my GS is outstanding and I love the car, but I really like the NX interior and utility. Would love feedback. Maybe there's a thread on the sound system and I missed it?
There is a Mark Levinson system for the NX, that along with the ML system in the RC, has 'Clari-Fi', which improves MP3 quality playback.

The ML system isn't offered on US NXs though.
Old 12-31-14, 04:57 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
I am no audiophile but just in comparison to my Volvo XC60 which has 8 speakers with premium sound (though not sure of the brand, probably unbranded) it sounded better than the 10-speaker Exec pckg of the NX we test drove the other night...maybe I missed it but I only found few options of adjusting the sound via the treble, bass and mid range...our Volvo has those adjustment settings as well as being able to adjust the equalizer settings/frequency independently of the front speakers and the back speakers...the NX sound system wasn't bad just not great per my standard and in comparison to our XC60 though this isn't enough to deter anyone from considering the NX
Old 12-31-14, 05:20 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget there is an equalizer on your iPhone/mp3 usually.

Try adjusting that to flat and see if that makes a difference. It was eye opening when I realized I had mine set to classical but was listening to rock one day.
Old 12-31-14, 08:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ In response to the sound quality.

I too am no audiophile, but for comparison, clearly the ML in the RX produces richer, cleaner sounds than the NX's 10-speaker sound system. For those who have the standard sound system in the 3IS, it sounds very similar to it, marginally better. It's not to say it's bad, but it's a little flat and I can see where some of us would pay a premium for the ML w/ClariFi. ML on the RX is about $1K more. I would have paid for that on the NX if it were available in N.A. No biggie in the grand scheme of things as I get to focus on enjoying the NX's drive!
Old 12-31-14, 08:49 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I noticed when I was checking out the NX I had paired my IPhone up to it with Bluetooth which is how I have it connected in my RX with the ML system. The sound dropped off considerably, I could not get it to go loud enough. I have no problem with my RX. Not happy about that. I was checking out the MKC with the upgraded stereo system and it was actually worse. I don't get it, you can charge your phone wirelessly but you can't listen to music.....go figure.

I am keeping a close I on this forum before I make a decision on getting a NX. Maybe next year they will offer an upgrade to the stereo plus power folding mirrors. My wish list. Happy New Year All !
Old 12-31-14, 08:57 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I noticed when I was checking out the NX I had paired my IPhone up to it with Bluetooth which is how I have it connected in my RX with the ML system. The sound dropped off considerably, I could not get it to go loud enough. I have no problem with my RX. Not happy about that. I was checking out the MKC with the upgraded stereo system and it was actually worse. I don't get it, you can charge your phone wirelessly but you can't listen to music.....go figure.

I am keeping a close I on this forum before I make a decision on getting a NX. Maybe next year they will offer an upgrade to the stereo plus power folding mirrors. My wish list. Happy New Year All !
MEP7557 - I had this same problem in my '13 ES right after I received my iPhone 6+. I found it was due to the 'Sound Check' option being turned on in the Music settings. Seemed that no matter how high I turned up the volume in the car, it just wasn't loud enough. As soon as I turned-off the 'Sound Check' option on the iPhone, problem solved.

Give that a try and see if that is of any help!

-dCota
Old 12-31-14, 09:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Here's another nice discovery for those who own a 3IS and can relate...

The seat warmers on the NX (F-Sport seats) truly heat up the seats and your rear unlike the 3IS which barely warm the seats at best.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_seat_heater.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (12-23-19)
Old 12-31-14, 09:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Canada - NX 200t Oil Change 16k km

Another positive discovery and a first for a Lexus in Canada, regular oil changes are at every 16k km like in the US (10k miles). This is a huge jump from 8k km on my IS, RX, CT, and so on. So much for adjusting this interval in Canada due to the harsher environment - no more with the NX 200t! If Hybrid owners can post, would be great!
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_maintenance.jpg  
Old 12-31-14, 09:57 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am glad to here that, and I was expecting it since the competition has also all moved to that interval. For someone that drives a moderate amount it is really nice. As I write this my current car is draining in the driveway for another 5k oil change.
Old 12-31-14, 02:33 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dCota
MEP7557 - I had this same problem in my '13 ES right after I received my iPhone 6+. I found it was due to the 'Sound Check' option being turned on in the Music settings. Seemed that no matter how high I turned up the volume in the car, it just wasn't loud enough. As soon as I turned-off the 'Sound Check' option on the iPhone, problem solved.

Give that a try and see if that is of any help!

-dCota
Well I checked my phone and the 'sound check' was off. I have no problem in my RX. Any one else experience this with Bluetooth on the NX?
Old 12-31-14, 08:10 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dumped a ton of music on a thumbnail USB drive and it sounds fantastic in the NX (plays in MEDIA - USB menu). A little louder than the radio volume. For what it's worth, the NX sound system sounds better to me than the ML in my '14 IS350 - maybe I need to check the settings in the IS?!?
Old 01-02-15, 09:26 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Slow Power Hatch / Manual override and difficult operation

Here's a not so good discovery, hoping it would have been "corrected" compared to the RX.

Closing the power hatch is a longish 8 seconds and you cannot lock the car until it's closed. You cannot force it closed manually, unless you disable the power feature in the multi-information display.

To disable the hatch:

BUT, to manually operate it afterwards, you need to apply a noticeable amount of force.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-05-15 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)